which 6.5 component to match my subs

Simon Landry

i want to upgrade my mids and highs. right now i have coaxial kenwood 6.5 1666ps front speaker rated at 30 rms wired on a kenwood excelon km-503 HU. i have 2 12 inchs p3 too a total of 1200 wrms. i was thinking about bying a set of component speaker and a 2 channel amp for the front stage and wired my 1666 on back on HU. i want to hear your opinion on which speaker has good quality for the price and your recommendation on my set up

If you want optimal sound quality, don’t mix coaxials and components. What kind of amp do you plan on getting or is that still undecided? And what is your budget? And when it comes to brands and which models you are gonna hear different opinions from different people. So let me make this a little easier. What brands are your favorites? If they make good sound quality gear then we can go from there. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

11 minutes ago, Simon Landry said:

i want to upgrade my mids and highs. right now i have coaxial kenwood 6.5 1666ps front speaker rated at 30 rms wired on a kenwood excelon km-503 HU. i have 2 12 inchs p3 too a total of 1200 wrms. i was thinking about bying a set of component speaker and a 2 channel amp for the front stage and wired my 1666 on back on HU. i want to hear your opinion on which speaker has good quality for the price and your recommendation on my set up

I run only a set of components up front, no rear fill.

Some people love rear fill, others don't. I'd say get a good component set up front and keep the coaxials for rear fill and see if you like it or not. Only thing I would change is go with a 4 channel amp so you have options to run either active or passive. Active with just a set of components up front or passive with both a set of components up front and rear coaxials and maintain fading controls :)

Just saw you wanted to run the coaxials on HU. This would be fine for rear fill but will not lead to the best quality at louder volumes, but will be fine just for rear fill at moderate volumes. 

10 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I run only a set of components up front, no rear fill.

Some people love rear fill, others don't. I'd say get a good component set up front and keep the coaxials for rear fill and see if you like it or not. Only thing I would change is go with a 4 channel amp so you have options to run either active or passive. Active with just a set of components up front or passive with both a set of components up front and rear coaxials and maintain fading controls :)

Coaxials rollover and the components crossover. They will conflict on most frequencies around and over 1000hz because a coaxial just has a bass blocker and most woofers on coaxials have a response of about 60hz-20,000hz and the tweeters have a response of about 1,000hz-20,000hz. So every note over 1,000hz would come out the woofer and tweeter of the coaxials oppose from the component which would Eliot the frequencies and go to the tweeter after about 3,500hz and stay on the woofer under 3,500hz. There would be conflict in sound waves. It won’t sound bad, but it won’t sound top quality. He could just run front stage on a 4 channel amp bridged on components and don’t run rear speakers but if he runs rear speakers, either run mid bass or midrange drivers or more components. One of them options would be optimal for sound quality purposes. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

what is the difference between active and passive ? and to wire component you just need two channel ? why get a 4 channel. I want good quality sound so ill put all my money to have a solid front stage and nothing to fill. Should i get 75 rms or 100 ? i want to to be able to push system at high volume. 

You should Google and research on YouTube as well all this information is out there very hard to explain on this forum you start getting into very in-depth setups right now you're running a basic head unit for speakers and sub there's a simple way to do it and then there's a complex way to do it but the best way to do it is the research it asking questions here is only going to confuse you more when you can YouTube it and watch what people are saying and doing in the formula in the math and everything that goes along with car audio. Just my suggestion that's what some of us have been doing for the last 7 to 10 years take out our systems where we want them

Archived