Sundown Audio

Now WTF ? What's the real deal with these amps ?

Fish Chris

I've heard varying opinions about Taramps. I guess they can make a lot of watts per $.... I've heard they typically get really hot, and can make a lot of hiss, and so they are better for cranking full tilt at shows and such, than they are for lower level, daily listening. Honestly, I have no personal experience with Taramps.

But seriously now.... I saw (online) a 30 Kwts Taramp, and I was like, "Holy Shites" ! .... then I saw a 60 Kwt Taramp, and I was like, What ??? So I did a quick search, and I was like, "No ef'ing way....."..... 160 Kwts ??? And the thing only weighs 16 lbs ? Ummmm.... They did say that that amp requires 24 batteries, and that sounds about right "IF" you were trying to build a 160 Kwt system using lead acid, or AGM's... which I can hardly imagine anyone doing, in 2020 ? Also, it says the maximum amperage draw is only 560 amps... Now wait a minute.... that sounds about like what a 10 or 15 Kwt amp might pull ? Also, if that is true, wtf do you need 24 batts for ? 

What is the real deal about these amps ? I'm sure it has to do with how (and at what resistance) they are rating them. So, if we wanted to compare apples to apples, how would this amp compare to something like a 20 Kwt Sound Digital amplifier ?

https://www.taramps.com.br/en/produto/hv-160-000/

Basically as best as I could understand it, is normal "half bridge" designs don't use the "rails" fill capacity or capability of voltage.

Where the full bridge "Brazil's amps use the rails fill capacity with voltage, making them a very high internal voltage.

They have class D power supplies, but that's where the similarities end.

This was the quick break down how it was explained to me.

I don't have an expert understanding of exactly how amps work, but I have a good enough understanding to understand what's said to me. If that makes sense. I dunno

But I do not like the feel of those full bridge amplifiers. They just feel shitty cheap to me when I hold them.

Don't judge a book by its cover I guess, and as much as I'd love to try when I just cannot get myself to spend the money on him I guess if somebody gave me one for free I would have to try it, and probably would be impressed. But that's what it woukd take for me to fold to trying them.

I mean , if something makes its power, how can you not like it? Well I guess I'm just caught up in the early rumors of them sounding terrible. But from my research, that's not the case anymore.

What is a good 1000 to 1200 watt @ 2 ohm amp that could fit under a front seat? I'm thinking of going with three 8s under the rear seat of my truck, and I saw the Taramps 1200 2 ohm amp and thought it would be perfect because of it's size and power (and price). But I don't know about trusting these amps. But I also don't know if I'll find anything else like it at the size I need it to fit.

This amp is part of their HV (High Voltage) line. It requires 300v DC to operate, that's why it requires multiple 12v batteries. You must run them in series to get to that voltage. Also requires a special charger, as no alternator will put out 300VDC, but it sips amperage as a result, of course.

They are designed and constructed by Brazilian scientists and engineers. Then a Brazilian sorcerer chants while the scientists are doing solders. Pretty simple if you think about it. I can’t believe y’all didn’t know that. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived