SHCA wire rant

3 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I'm reading throughout this thread that SHCA wire is a pain in the ass to deal with and I guess the hype isn't real.... but I'm looking to buy 125' of 2/0 SHCA wire because, they run sales on their stuff periodically, and if I can catch it at 10% off, it comes out to the cheapest, decent, 2/0 ofc wire I can find. Unfortunately, ease of install isn't in my budget, but if you guys think I'm going to get screwed down the road, please let me know. GP was going to be my second choice because of price. I am going to buy my own hydraulic press for the ring terminals and also buy the SHCA 2/0 ring terminals in hopes they would fit the best, and SMD fuse blocks because they seem universal to any size. Please let me know what you guys think

SHCA is not bad stuff. You just have to know what you're going to get when you buy it. You pretty much have to stick with their stuff to ensure it all works together. I say "all" but I mean their terminals to work with their wire. The SMD fuse block won't be a problem because you're just sliding the terminal over the posts of the SMD. Another reason to know what you're getting is to know if you have room to run it. If you order 2/0 and it comes the size of 4/0 you might have a lot more difficulty running it than you anticipated.

If you're just looking for the cheapest 2/0 check out wireandsupply.com and look at their 2/0 welding wire. I ordered several 1 foot pieces a while back so I could see the sizes. I used their 4 gauge in my son's car, and that's where I'm going to first from now on. If you were looking for 8 gauge, their prices are no better than SHCA or Knukonceptz, but once you get to 4 gauge and bigger they are a lot cheaper.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture I took a while back of the welding wire OFC samples I got along with Knukonceptz 4 gauge and SHCA 8 gauge.

From left to right, welding wire (ww) 2/0, ww 1/0, Knukonceptz 4 gauge, ww 4 gauge, SHCA 8 gauge, and ww 8 gauge.

The Knukonceptz is tinned. It's not CCA.

I also took measurements of the diameter of each wire with the calipers if anyone is interested. Just let me know.

IMG_20200215_121717.jpg

3 hours ago, blammo585 said:

SHCA is not bad stuff. You just have to know what you're going to get when you buy it. You pretty much have to stick with their stuff to ensure it all works together. I say "all" but I mean their terminals to work with their wire. The SMD fuse block won't be a problem because you're just sliding the terminal over the posts of the SMD. Another reason to know what you're getting is to know if you have room to run it. If you order 2/0 and it comes the size of 4/0 you might have a lot more difficulty running it than you anticipated.

If you're just looking for the cheapest 2/0 check out wireandsupply.com and look at their 2/0 welding wire. I ordered several 1 foot pieces a while back so I could see the sizes. I used their 4 gauge in my son's car, and that's where I'm going to first from now on. If you were looking for 8 gauge, their prices are no better than SHCA or Knukonceptz, but once you get to 4 gauge and bigger they are a lot cheaper.

Right on! Thank you for that! I'll go to that website and check out that welding wire now! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

There 2/0 lugs fit there 2/0 wire just fine. Don’t know what the problem is, you got more then you paid for.

Only bad thing about SHCA wire is the sleeve likes to move.

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

Archived