Crossover Dilemma

19 hours ago, AaronT said:

Bass sounds like shit straight from the port

sorry now I get what you've meant lol I thought it should be tight straight from the port somehow. Because as I move away from the trunk it tightens itself. I feel like an ignorant douchebag

this is the kind of bass reproduction I miss!!! This video on youtube I found the camera mic does not distort bass too much so you could hear the tight frequencies. This is how bass should sound like in a car and I can't get it to sound in mine like it should! Like you feel the bass not hearing it, maaan this problem has obsesed me on a psychological level enormously. I am done. Take a look at the video I am pretty sure many of you have this blessed bass in your car and this should be considered normal, everyone should experience it like it was supposed to.

Important you need a good pair of headphones, in ear ones to be able to hear the sub bass from them. It also seems to sound good even when he films next to the port. It is that characteristic bass feel, you feel it embracing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKaHNJb4wU

do you have your rcas mixed around?  i know it's a stupid question, but worth double checking.  make sure your mids n highs rcas arent going to the sub amp and make sure you're using the sub output on the headunit for the sub rcas

No the Rcas are plugged in to their respective colors, as well as to their respective output rca on HU, Front and SUB. I would have figured this out if they were mixed while changing audio settings on HU, because thats what I do, I have changed the Sub1 2 3 Hpf 1 2 etc settings a million times already

What I am trying to emphasize is, this is not a crossover issue nor a blending issue between front system and sub.

This is about the sub reproducing this MUDDY ugly ass BASS. In the video I have shared I can remember that clear tight bass sound whIch my sub totally LACKS. With my other setup in my other car I HAVE NEVER ASKED MYSELF I HAVE NEVER DOUBTED THE BASS. REGARDLESS OF THE HU and AMP SETTINGS, THAT SYSTEM WAS ALWAYS GIVING ME CLEAN BASS, REGARDLESS.

Try this in your car. Set your subwoofer to play completely alone. In my case I d just set the FADER to 25 Rear. Listen to the sub only. In my car it sounds completely undefinable, muddy, sloppy, it is not clean.

Someone here mentioned that the sound straight from the port is supposed to sound like shit, because I for one sitting in my driver seat hears exactly THAT sound, as if I am close to the port no matter where I sit. But I strongly believe it shouldn't sound like shit straight from the port.

Something is going on here I cannot figure out what is happening.

Could someone explain why does the LPF on the PRS seem to have no effect as long as the LPF on the amp is equal or higher than that? For example: amp LPF 200Hz, PRS LPF 50Hz no matter the slope vocals are coming out of the sub. Thanks a lot Pioneer

11 hours ago, Qwiz said:

Could someone explain why does the LPF on the PRS seem to have no effect as long as the LPF on the amp is equal or higher than that? For example: amp LPF 200Hz, PRS LPF 50Hz no matter the slope vocals are coming out of the sub. Thanks a lot Pioneer

This is not pioneers fault.

I just think you're really overlooking something or you don't have a thorough understanding of what exactly is going on.

Cuz I have a cheap pioneer Double-Din I believe it was like 250 bucks or less 4 years ago.

Avh390bs. but it has the active 3-way network mode and I have nothing but praise for the crossover on this deck.

11 hours ago, Qwiz said:

You actually have your sub hooked up to the sub output on the back of your deck?

On 5/12/2020 at 8:32 PM, AaronT said:

You actually have your sub hooked up to the sub output on the back of your deck?

Trying to understand. The sub is hooked up with a speaker cable to the amp. The amp is connected to the SUB OUT of the PRS with an RCA cable, which btw I bought new 2 days ago. And now the bass is clearer. Gonna have to check it more I haven't had enough time to do so.

So you're telling me, as long as my amps LPF stays at say 200Hz, the PRS LPF what the hell does it cut because as I stated, I put it on 50Hz on the unit and I get vocals from the sub. The only working LPF seems to be the one on the amp, which I have it set to 80hz and have no more vocals from that point on, while the INACTIVE LPF on the PRS I leave it to 200Hz with a 6db slope (max setting). What is it that I don't get? You need to be in this car and witness the horror

EDIT: I cannot use the network mode because I only have 2 amps, one front comps and one sub. I could theoretically but I'd have to rewire the tweeters. I still don't get why the standard mode would not be enough? Something evil is going on in my car, the day I bought it it felt claustrophobic because it has that tiny rear window. And what's up with the MONO or Stereo option in the SUB 1 Settings? The Jl rd1000/1 mono amp states that it sums up stereo signals. I set it to stereo on the PRS because it sounds better in my case. What I've drawn is just a power and ground distribution diagramm, no audio signal cables involved

Even though my current sub box and sub should have a symbiotic relationship, I will have a new sub box today for one of my other subs (ESX Quantum qe1224) and I am anxiously waiting.

No one could tell me why the LPF on the PRS doesn't seem to cut anything. My front system is connected to the Mosconi 120.2 amp. When I set the HPF on this amp to min (40Hz) then change the HPF on the PRS to a higher value (160Hz example), it definitely affects the sound coming from the front speakers. It cuts! It is only with the LPF on the PRS that it seems completely inactive. Thank God for the LPF on the amp.

Other than the act that the bass is not what I was used to, there's one thing I thought about lately, what if I don't have enough juice? Maybe there's something wrong with the electrical system altogether that somehow LIMITS the juice of aftermarket stuff connected to the battery. Because when I go louder, the bass doesn't play low somehow, I am under the impression it's being played along with an annoying high frequency aside, which is very hard to distinguish. When this happens I read on some other topic here, it may mean that the signal is being clipped. But I have rather good components and solid power cables so wouldn't that mean that somehow not enough juice is being presented to the amps? The Jl amp has a clipping indicator on it for when the gains are set. It hasn't light up at max volume with hard hitting bass tracks, but the sound didn't come out clean. Maybe the clipping indicator does not CLIP when demanded current is not available, even though it will come out as a clipped signal. What do you think?

I watch car audio installations and it's all supposed to be a simple thing, yet in my case I don;t know anymore, I am constantly finding new possible culprits. I recently thought about my low quality carpets, maybe they're playing a role too. I dunno. When playing a sweep bass tone from 20 up to 80Hz, bass response is constant but I have this DIP between 43-50Hz no matter the sub position/ crossover settings etc. There are a lot of "against car audio" factors in this car, but it seems that its form the way it has been built has a negative influence in relation to music experience. I am disgusted by the sound in this car that I believe even when somehow things were to sound normal in it, after so many years of frustration, my mind will have me believe that it's still sounding like crap.

and even though my equipment is strong, I do get loudness but what I don't get is PRESSURE. I remember in my other car Peugeot 206 with a 350W Sub I could FEEL the bass tickling my face. Here is not the case, it's like that acoustic energy is being sucked somehow. Can't wait today to test the new box.

A lot of people I think they may be experiencing this low spec bass and not realizing that's garbage in fact. There's a characteristic bass feeling in a car, and when you know that you will never be able to let it go. That is way many people don't "like" bass because they most definitely have heard it from a crap system.

Archived