Crossover Dilemma

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will. Today.

Remember that I have said that the PRS' LPF seems not to be active. Well let me go back to that. After further investigation I have come to the conclusion that BOTH LPFS ON AMP AND ON PRS WORK IN TANDEM. It does not seem to cut but it DOES have an effect in certain situations. So in my earlier example: PRS LPF 200Hz, amp LPF 60Hz seemed ok but still sounded crap. Another example, amp LPF 200Hz, PRS LPF 50Hz or any other no matter the setting you would get VOCALS. But here is another scenario: amp LPF 60Hz, PRS LPF 200Hz, result not clean, but further set PRS LPF to 50Hz and BAM it works in tandem with the amps LPF, kind of being under the impression I have clean bass output. I will go today and test it some more. So I think both LPFs need to stay around the same value, I am not sure which one needs to be a little greater than the other or if both need to be exactly equal. This is very important I see.

Meanwhile I moved the sub upon the back seat on the right side, firing towards the front. It still sounded muddy with the old LPF settings (PRS LPF 200Hz, amp LPF 60Hz). Then I started to play with the settings for the millionth time and it "disinfected" the bass as soon as I had the settings based on what I've mentioned above. Bass seems to be better now. I have to go and take it back into the trunk and see if it sounds equal clear to the actual position which is on the back seat. 

Edit: I think no matter the signal coming from whatever HU, so what is coming in through the RCAs in the JL amp, this JL amp is trying hard no matter the signal, to reproduce exactly what you set its LPF to be at. So even though a 90 Hz cut signal is coming through, as long as the Lpf on this amp is set at ex. 200Hz, it will do the impossible and reproduce those "lost frequencies" that it boosts somehow. What a joke this would be. This crossover principle would be based on total crap logics.

I honestly believe you got a overlooked setting somewhere.

Because the crossovers should work better the further apart thier filters are set. As you being then closer together, you get phase issues.

The way a crussiver works is it just gets certain signals out of phase 180° (at least my understanding) to filter them  

I may be incorrect in my understanding of the exact method used to filter, but I'm positive if I see your amp settings I could iron this out as long as both deck and amp aren't messed up in some way.

Here's a pic.

After some other testing done today I can surely conclude that, after moving the sub back in the trunk it still sounds muddy. When it was n the back seat it sounded clearer but still sloppy/muddy so I think there is an underlying problem here. I am very eager to find out what it is and it will be a blessing to know it.

EDIT: The input voltage is set on high because according to the manual, if it's set on Low you have this Gain voltage Range 2V - 200mV, while on High 8V - 800mV. I know according to a testing video from FiveStarCarStereo on YT that the PRS outputs a clean signal of 4,9V with SLA +3 on the USB which I use most often. So I know at close to max volume I would have an output greater than 2V, that is why it is set to High. If its set to Low it sounds crappier anyway, or at least the same crap degree. The box is as I stated constructed to the exact parameters the JL w3v3 needs, heck, it's even from JL too. I have even taken the sub out of the box and listen to it in free air and guess what it OUTPUTS THE SAME MUDDY BASS SIGNAL WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON GUYS????

IMG_20200516_185907.jpg

1 hour ago, Qwiz said:

Here's a pic.

After some other testing done today I can surely conclude that, after moving the sub back in the trunk it still sounds muddy. When it was n the back seat it sounded clearer but still sloppy/muddy so I think there is an underlying problem here. I am very eager to find out what it is and it will be a blessing to know it.

EDIT: The input voltage is set on high because according to the manual, if it's set on Low you have this Gain voltage Range 2V - 200mV, while on High 8V - 800mV. I know according to a testing video from FiveStarCarStereo on YT that the PRS outputs a clean signal of 4,9V with SLA +3 on the USB which I use most often. So I know at close to max volume I would have an output greater than 2V, that is why it is set to High. If its set to Low it sounds crappier anyway, or at least the same crap degree. The box is as I stated constructed to the exact parameters the JL w3v3 needs, heck, it's even from JL too. I have even taken the sub out of the box and listen to it in free air and guess what it OUTPUTS THE SAME MUDDY BASS SIGNAL WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON GUYS????

IMG_20200516_185907.jpg

You ready for a simple solution to your problem?

Input sensitivity switch position.

You put it on high-level input if you're using speaker wire to feed your amp signal.

If you are using RCA's you set it on Low

Give that a shot and call me In the morning

With the Switch on Low the Gain must be re-set to a lowerer position counter clockwise, but it still sounds nasty. I will re check tomorrow but then again I expect no improvement. I keep having the feeling I am not having enough pressure although the sub is really exerting some excursion and air seems to flow enough, still I don't get that bass feeling, in terms of feeling but also not getting the sound in your ears feeling, it is a feeling which is pleasant even at higher volumes, kind of another type of pressure.

Edit: Why is that switch even relevant, you still get almost the same range with it on High, only the sensivity knob changes. And why is that also relevant as long as the gain sensivity is properly set every time with the help of the clipping indicator and a 40hz sinewave at 0db at max unclipped Hu signal explain that to me please

16 hours ago, Qwiz said:

With the Switch on Low the Gain must be re-set to a lowerer position counter clockwise, but it still sounds nasty. I will re check tomorrow but then again I expect no improvement. I keep having the feeling I am not having enough pressure although the sub is really exerting some excursion and air seems to flow enough, still I don't get that bass feeling, in terms of feeling but also not getting the sound in your ears feeling, it is a feeling which is pleasant even at higher volumes, kind of another type of pressure.

Edit: Why is that switch even relevant, you still get almost the same range with it on High, only the sensivity knob changes. And why is that also relevant as long as the gain sensivity is properly set every time with the help of the clipping indicator and a 40hz sinewave at 0db at max unclipped Hu signal explain that to me please

It is because it's there it's there for a reason and that's why it's relevant that's a specific function that it performs.

might be. I did switched today and I am still not content. I had it on Low before for a while I knew it wouldn't brong anything big to the table. The sub is moving a lot still there is no pressure only loudness.

Another thing I have realized is I ha e to tame the frequency band around 31.5Hz to a few dB down. That range of freqs is causing this bass overload, like I think I have cabin gain around that point.

How could I have ruined it? I did not harass the amp in any way. How could that influence the amp I don't underatand.

Listen, this system sounded awful since I first ever put a system in this car. I don't f know what the problem is. I really need to either resolve it or call it a mystery. This is driving me nuts since day one.

SLA is source leval adjustment.

All these things will get signal dirty sooner in volume leval.

I think you might have pushed that amp too far with not knowing exactly what your settings were and something inside of it has given up or is on its way out.

in the past when I was younger I had and that I fucking just literally raped with bass boost and input level adjustments from locs.and when those amps finally gave up they still played but they didn't play right they fucking were like just moving the speakers and making a hollow sound I mean it was Bass the average human being would say hey that's a base system but it wasn't nothing what it was before the amp fucked up

Archived