Crossover Dilemma

So now it could be the sub. LOL

Guys I also have an ESX Quantum qe1224 @ 800W RMS it's still the same.

The only problem here is how the subwoofer controls itself. Bass is ok-ish standard but after you go pass a certain volume pressure threshold (not sure exactly where that point is,  with current settings it's about 2 thirds of volume on HU) bass is getting muddier and again, don't think I have the gain way up or something. You keep thinking about things I've already tested. I know they should be working just fine.

If I somehow had an O-scope to test the quality of the signal from the Radio, from the RCA cable and from the speaker outputs of the bass amp. It seems the bass signal suffers a lot, that is the perception in my mind, it is EITHER THAT OR the sub box OR the car acoustics. But even with the sub in free air it still sounds like it's giving a false note, a higher note on top of the lower note which should be the only one playing, again, hard to explain,,,

It's funny because you guys keep pointing out things I have already look out for. I mean I understand there is no other thing to think about i don;t know what am I expecting anymore. I have also thought maybe my hearing went bad but everyone else is hearing the same muddiness I hear so that's out of the question. I am not that eager to fix the problem, what pisses me off is that after 4years straight I STILL don't know wtf is going on.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just like to meet people such as Steve, Dwiz, EXO or CAF. Meet them and leave them this car and system in their own hands to figure out what is going on. I just want to trust someone and just wait for the conclusion because I am done.

Later edit: The sub is BEAMING even at the lowest cross settings so that's the issue. The mofo is BEAming since day f 1.

I made another 2 pics to show you what happens depending on the head position. I made a brief video showing the interior of the car. I will edit this post to paste the links if you are still interested.

Conclusion: On the day I was at the car audio shop we have tested a new box for my other sub, which the technician prepared beforehand, box built (or prefab bought seemed more like) according to ESX sub specs. Even with that new box it sounded same. I am doing a short recap only. Then we ve changed the amp - same. Then the HU -same. RCA cable - same. Another pair of twisted RCA bought by me, arrived today, swapped - same.

Other useful conclusion: From the photos I will attatch I will try to explain the position of the head using my fist, you ll see. There is a huge output difference from the sub. For example for some particular subfreqs (test tone 55Hz), you face your head ahead and you hear this -muddy- bass at a certain volume. Then I move my head 90 degrees out of phase lol. So Imove my head in the perpendicular direction to the inititial position and guess what. The volume is much much lower and bass seems better. These tests were taken with the sub playing alone, everything else muted. Please try to do this in your car WITH A NORMAL SONG and TELL ME IF YOUR SUB PLAYS MUDDY ALONE, tell me if your sub alone plays the bass side of the song clean or does it "uuuuuuuuu" the whole time?.

So that is one thing with the head direction. Some other subfreqs (30Hz - 42Hz) are OVEREMPHASIZED, bass overload. I have this "uuuuuuuu" sound, no matter if its a test tone or a song, with only the sub playing, as I said this "uuuuuuuu" sound coming from the sub is extremely bothering and when I set the 50Hz band to its max setting (-6db on the Graph EQ) it seems to TAME this "uuuuuuu" sound from the sub but then at the same time the whole song sounds crappy. 

Then again with testtones between 42Hz - 45Hz I have a variable dip, but a huge one, huge cancelation. Then from 45Hz to 55Hz overemphasized. From 56Hz to the crosspoint I again have an enormous dip like the sub plays but you hear it at a considerably low volume. I HAVE ALREADY TRIED changing PHASE on NORMAL or on REVERSE. THERE IS A SMALL DIFFERENCE, MEANING THAT on NORMAL sounds a LITTLE BETTER THAN on REVERSE, EITHER WAY THE MUDDINESS REMAINS no matter the PHASE MY DEAR FRIENDS.

Sub plays this sweep 20Hz - 100hz just fine when you open the trunk and stand 2 feet outside next to it. Could it be that for this reason, this car Kia Rio is the worst car choice with the worst acoustics concerning a good in car audio experience? The sub seems to play clean while I am in the car, in this range of freqs only, 15Hz - 29Hz. Thats all I got lol.

Feeling where the bass is coming from, from this 30Hz point up, feeling this muddy bass overload, life is good. Bass should have an embracing feeling and should always play omnidirectional so that you cannot realize where bass is coming from, you just have this awesome feeling that whatever the front system is playing, that output is being greatly empowered by the sub output. However as soon as you disable the sub output while a song is playing, you’re under the impression 3/4 of the song composition just died.Then when you enable the sub back, the song is immediately brought to life again, and you could just hear the sub alone and it would still sound good. God I miss that feeling.

I will upload contents I hope you can bare with my frustration. I am still residing in the  car right now. Have to get home to upload.

Edit: Kia interior view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIS2mvhaY80

Regarding pics, imagine that the hole in my fist is the listening ear.

IMG_20200523_183437.jpg

IMG_20200523_183432.jpg

IMG_20200523_183611_1.jpg

14 hours ago, Qwiz said:

So now it could be the sub. LOL

Guys I also have an ESX Quantum qe1224 @ 800W RMS it's still the same.

The only problem here is how the subwoofer controls itself. Bass is ok-ish standard but after you go pass a certain volume pressure threshold (not sure exactly where that point is,  with current settings it's about 2 thirds of volume on HU) bass is getting muddier and again, don't think I have the gain way up or something. You keep thinking about things I've already tested. I know they should be working just fine.

If I somehow had an O-scope to test the quality of the signal from the Radio, from the RCA cable and from the speaker outputs of the bass amp. It seems the bass signal suffers a lot, that is the perception in my mind, it is EITHER THAT OR the sub box OR the car acoustics. But even with the sub in free air it still sounds like it's giving a false note, a higher note on top of the lower note which should be the only one playing, again, hard to explain,,,

It's funny because you guys keep pointing out things I have already look out for. I mean I understand there is no other thing to think about i don;t know what am I expecting anymore. I have also thought maybe my hearing went bad but everyone else is hearing the same muddiness I hear so that's out of the question. I am not that eager to fix the problem, what pisses me off is that after 4years straight I STILL don't know wtf is going on.

I'm thinking if you've changed everything: sub, head unit, amp, box- and I'm sure if you've done that then you've double and triple checked your wiring and your grounds to make sure it wasn't engine noise or a power source leeching into a sound source, then the only thing left is the car. That's the only part of this equation that has remained constant. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 5/21/2020 at 9:20 AM, Qwiz said:

You might be right.

So I went ahead today and:

Video 80PRS Old Settings on STANDARD MODE https://youtu.be/4NuHNJrgxGo

Video 80PRS New Settings on NW MODE https://youtu.be/ph3qof4R-80

Below I will be attatching some etra pics as requested......

trunk from outside.jpg

Funny question but how much clearance is between your sub box port and the back hatch? It should be atleast the width of your port or more. 

Try turning the sub box such that the port and sub are faced upwards (towards the roof). How does it sound?

There is a video of the cars interior. There seems to be enough clearance. The box sounds the same when sub and port are facing up, tried that too. Take a look at the videos. And also what is up with the head position and the changing bass output? Is that the car acoustics causing this or the output of the bass being muddy? Also why is this output BEAMING?

The front doors and the trunk are sound treated. So it might be the cars acoustics but also I am suspecting the box. Because the sound coming from that port is very muddy. It's not muddy when you listen to it from the outside of the car at a fair distance. I don't think bass should be that muddy straight from the port though because that is what I am hearing in the whole car regardless of any setting. Crap

I am going to receive a new subwoofer which comes in a vented box.

The sub is this one https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/products/car-hifi/gehaeuse-subwoofer/product/force-10-800-br/

It has been praised on a few forums and on car hi fi german magazines.

Lol what if it will sound the same? I have no top hair anymore otherwise I would rip it off in that case.

3 hours ago, Qwiz said:

I am going to receive a new subwoofer which comes in a vented box.

The sub is this one https://www.eton-gmbh.com/en/products/car-hifi/gehaeuse-subwoofer/product/force-10-800-br/

It has been praised on a few forums and on car hi fi german magazines.

Lol what if it will sound the same? I have no top hair anymore otherwise I would rip it off in that case.

Can’t say I’ve heard of that brand but I hope you like it.

I’m completely against prefab boxes since building a box is really easy and bare minimum all you need is a jig saw and a flat piece of 2x4 or even a factory edge of mdf... plus you get to make it for your subs t/s parameters 

1 hour ago, Joshdashef said:

Can’t say I’ve heard of that brand but I hope you like it.

I’m completely against prefab boxes since building a box is really easy and bare minimum all you need is a jig saw and a flat piece of 2x4 or even a factory edge of mdf... plus you get to make it for your subs t/s parameters 

I understand I will try and do that if this is not going to work. What you re implying is that I should do something completely new and I am not ready for it now. There isn't one single website or car audio shop in all germany which advertizes custom made sub boxes or anything custom for that matter. All they have is prefab. Going to an audio shop would be another possibilty for which I for now have no intention doing it since my last car audio shop experiences were awful. It's like they hate the fact you know a little bit about car audio lol

Anyway I expect this sub to play ok. If this is not the case then it's 100% the cars acoustics. I desperately need to know the reason for this with high prices

Everything sounds the same even with this new sub. All of the subs I had sounded way better when they were lying on the back seat. It seems that the trunk of this car is the culprit. So I am done with car audio in this car. Case closed.

Archived