Crossover Dilemma

shortly: Both HU (80prs) and Amp (Jl rd1000) have their LPF always on.

How would you approach this?

a) set max LPF on amp, then desired LPF on HU

b) other way around

Say you might also have another amp lying around. However this one has a switch to either Full Pass or use its LPF, therefore you have the freedom to use any combination of filter settings

I have read multiple times having 2 active crossovers is far from having a good time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did that. I have set on amp to full (500Hz) then on HU 80 63 or 50Hz sounds like total crap no matter the slope 6 12 or 18db.

I have set it the other way around, on the amp on the lowest (50Hz) and on HU max (200Hz in my case). It's a lot better than the first scenario, but still not enough.

This week I am going to try to change the RCA cable with a more expensive one, see if that makes any difference. Also I am going to fully sound deaden the ceiling and the trunk. Only the front doors are treated. I am experiencing weird cancellations in the driver seat at particular freqs, I think the car acoustics plays an important role here, I am never buying Kia again, that's for sure.

I already went to a couple of technicians here in Germany and every time I left from there with the impression that they don't care about what I am saying. Just a waste of time and money.

That could be the reason, I am thinking about the box.

Currently I run a JL 12w3v3-4 in a box from JL model CP112. Which is constructed according to the EXACT requirements for that sub which makes everything weird. Despite this the box may still be the reason?

Like I said, I ll also try changinh the rca cable along with some sound deadening. The thing is when I stand next to the sub, or better, regardless of the sub (I have 2 more subs), so when I lay next to it while playing some bass, the bass is NOT TIGHT. It's like a hybrid of bass notes it's hard to describe how it hears, main thing is, it is not tight. So I think maybe this all is pointing to the sub box... Or when I take the front amps rcas only for the sub to be the only one playing goddamn the bass alone sounds very dirty muddy. How can this be with this sub in its recommended box? How is it possible for it to be so muddy I don't freakin get it. It was supposed to be simple yet this car has played with my mind ferociously

How is the bass supposed to sound when you stay close to the port let's say at a decent volume, not too loud. Because when I put my ear close enough like 20cm from the hole in the port(slot vertical port) it sounds very muddy like a scrambled set of low undefined notes. This is as well experienced like I said earlier, when I set the Fader way Back to hear the sub playing only. It sounds dirty, undefined.

Gonna test the ground of the amp too. Can the Hu be defective too?

Another scenario is when I disable the sub and set the front system to play alone a Full Pass signal, the bass from there (decent over 40Hz and even lowerer) is sooo TIGHT and beautiful.

you mean the box is shite? but how could I confirm that the signal fed from the amp ends up clean to the sub, how would I know. there are a lot of variables yet again might be just a simple thing. I just can't figure this out. With the other sub I had the same muddy output so the subs are ok. Whats left is either the box or the signal from the amp if it ends up clean to the sub

thought I should mention this. when I set the LPF on HU max 200Hz, I hear low vocals coming from the sub, even when the LPF on amp is at min 50Hz lol. it's like it's seeing a false signal or something. I suspect the rcas the Hu and the box. Today I have fully sound deadened the trunk. The problem remains. The sound the sub makes even at low volumes is infected.

Archived