Crossover Dilemma

The space is strange with the high back seats and with the angle of the rear hatch. Something is causing the issue of the wave of the sub.  More subs, up firing and up ported with more power.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems no matter how you position the box in the trunk, the same output is presented. I have tested it by puttin the box in the tire well firing every possible direction, it still outputs the same disturbing low freqs. I just want to set that car on fire.

The Front System is a 16,5cm component one. When I set that to play the lows only, they output such a clean and enjoyable bass. It's only when the sub comes into play it ruins everything. When the sub is on the back seat it seems better but it's still not enough, it still seems it plays muddy on some songs so... what I thought yesterday is again an illusion. It seems no matter where you put the goddamn thing, it will always have some kind of disturbance.

So since bass from Front system is clean, I thought about disconnecting it and then connecting the sub bridged. I would get 350W. Maybe after all these sloppy "diagnostics" and ideas I got to were half true and maybe it's the JL amplifier the culprit?

My ears are done with that bass sound, I hate it. I am going to go cold turkey on listening music in this car. I hate this car

In my previous car I remember feeling the bass more than hearing it, remember hair on the head and arms vibrating, water in the can or in the bottle vibrating.

On the other hand, on this other car, although I have almost double the power of the other system, there seems to only be loud and disturbing. Not that disturbing but why can I not FEEL the bass here? I don't feel hair vibrating, it's only a little bit in my back, a little vibration, but nothing great. What does this mean does anyone have an idea? Why does body hair not vibrate although a lot of air is moving inside the car, I mean it is making the car vibrate and all, but in the air inside there iss no pressure, the only pressure is felt at the ear level, a disturbing pressure feeling, nothing in the air though. Weird...

Warning.

You are not gonna believe this shit. It's clear now. I hope this doesn't turn out to be another illusion tomorrow.

I did something today. I flipped a switch on that amp. You wouldn't guess which one. That did the magic in the end. Heard clean bass from the port. Every tune seems to sound exactly as I remember it. I now get the chest pounding upper bass and clean lower bass. All for a goddamn switch.

I would presume there is something wrong with that part of the power supply section of the amp or something. Because what I did shouldn't have had such a great effect on everything. Here's what I mean.

I have 2 amps and their remote wires are connected to the corresponding blue wire from the HU. The Mosconi amp just has a remote wire and no remote turn on settings.

On the other hand, as you can see in the picture, the sub amp JL has 3 turn on features. I had it always set on REM according to the manual. Until today.

I initially set it on Signal. No difference except when it turned off, the sub made a popping sound. Said ok, now let's set it to DC Offset. All of these settings were set while the remote turn on wire is still connected.

Next thing I knew... wtf this is not real, tight bass? something must be wrong I thiught. So I began listening to dozens of my old songs and it sounds good.

I will have to test it for a week straight. Every tune. It sounds this good with a flat EQ and still on the back seat. I can't even imagine how good it would sound in the trunk. Will come with a follow up tomorrow.

Hmmm maybe the Radio isn't ideally wired. Found this regarding DC applied on a speaker. Could it be that the distortion I was experiencing was according to this post?

"

Now if you would apply a DC signal there would be a constant force working on the voice coil constantly moving it a little bit to the front or (if you reverse the polarity) a little bit to the back. If you would also apply an AC signal the loudspeaker would still work but on average it would not be in it's center "resting"position.

This DC signal induces a constant force on the voice coil but it also heats it up as there is a current flowing and since the voicecoil's electrical wire has some resistance (4 or 8 ohms usually) some power will be dissipated heating up the voice coil.

Another side effect is that good loudspeakers are designed such that the voice coil can move a certain distance to the front and a similar distance to the back. If you apply a DC voltage then you offset this as the distance the voice coil can travel will be asymmetric. If the voice coil can move 10 mm to the front and 10 mm to the back but you offset it with a DC signal by 5 mm to the front, the voice coil can only move 5mm to the front and 15 mm to the back. This will result in more distortion and worse sound quality."

Like the sub moved unnaturally. So even though the problem may have been solved (needs intensive testing), I still want to understand why.

IMG_20200605_235133.jpg

you have a relay on that remote wire?   if not that could of been the problem too to test this turn the jl amp back to rem and un hook the remote to the masconi  i bet it fixes it also (not really sure lol just wanted to bet )

I don't have any relay. DO I NEED ONE? Is there a specific post for this? Are the remote wires causing the sub to pip every time Radio goes on or OFF. The 2 remote wires coming from the 2 amps are both crimped and connected to the remote wire of the PRS.

I initially thought maybe the switch DC Offset represented Remote, this being a factory issue, just throwin that out there.

The bass is much much clearer I don't know if it's ideal, I need more time testing.

The sub pops everytime I turn the Radio on and this happens to the sub only, regardless of the switch being on DC Offset or REM. Strange thing is that the Front speakers don't pop, never popped on turn on, only the sub.

Do you think this is the issue? I thought about what you've said. Disconnecting the Mosconi remote wire. 

Yeah because in my other car there was only one amp. In this car I have always had 2. Maybe someone could explain more in depth this phenomenom. Also when you have 2 or more amps, and not having a 2 channel oscilloscope, how can you know they are in phase? I suppose when you have just one amp and the front speakers aktive they are autimatically in phase? So many things lol

try what i said  and the pop could be a few issues....  the phase between the sub amp and mids and highs shouldnt matter that much  if you want while playing slowly turn the phase dial see if it sounds better anywhere

Here's the thing regarding remote turn on power if it's turning on all the amps is doing its job there's no halfway turning it on.

Actually spoke with this topic at Rockford Fosgate tech support because I'm running for amplifiers off a deck.

My deck puts out 400 Ma turn on. Each amp requires I believe 50 so

Those are my particular amps and my particular head unit but forest from Rockford Fosgate sub if they're turning on that's tell, on is on there's enough signal there to turn the amp on it's perfectly fine

Archived