Sorry my wire was white too I was just reading off the instructions. It's designed to run new wires to and from in order to hook everything up. I would think the yellow fuzed might be for the black and white heading to the fans so if something were to happen there it went short out the tm1. And then you add another fuse at the battery for the constant that could be a smaller wired fuse it wouldn't hurt to have both ends protected with using but that's just my opinion

This is a hot mess. I got mine today with the exact problem. Shame on Steve for sending out stuff like this with no quality control. The fact that no one from technical support will respond is concerning and I guess ill just return mine if someone doesn't come up with a solution. I certainly don't want to damage it by hooking it up incorrectly. The odd thing is that the Red, Yellow and Black are typical colors for a fan in a computer. Usually the Yellow is for RPM on a 3 pin fan. I don't want to guess whats going in here.

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:56 PM, JonBob said:
I just received TM-1 and need a little help with the wiring. I've included a picture of the wires and of the instruction in the background for reference. The included instructions say that the RED wire is POWER, is that correct? The only red wire is a super small (maybe 16 gauge or smaller) wire that is part of the 3 wire bundle. How is that supposed to go with the included yellow fuse and wire which is a much larger gauge. The WHITE wire is TRIGGER according to the instructions and BLACK is GROUND, is that correct? They are both 2 separate larger wires not part of the 3 wire bundle. Now here's the really confusing part... I'm left with small BLACK and YELLOW wires that are part of the 3 wire bundle. The instructions state that I should be left with a BLACK and GREY as fan - and fan +, respectively, but I don't have a GREY wire at all.  Can you guys/gals give me a hand with this set up? I don't want to screw something up and void the warranty. 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

20200429_231415.jpg

@SnowDrifter Got any clue if this is an old unit or something? Wiring isn’t matching any documentation. 

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

16 hours ago, Binkster said:

This is a hot mess. I got mine today with the exact problem. Shame on Steve for sending out stuff like this with no quality control. The fact that no one from technical support will respond is concerning and I guess ill just return mine if someone doesn't come up with a solution. I certainly don't want to damage it by hooking it up incorrectly. The odd thing is that the Red, Yellow and Black are typical colors for a fan in a computer. Usually the Yellow is for RPM on a 3 pin fan. I don't want to guess whats going in here.

You're being childish. It's not that hard to look at the instructions and the product, realize that two wires are different colors, and fill in the blank. By simple process of elimination, the yellow wire has replaced your white as the turn-on, and the larger gauge white wire has replaced the gray as your fans positive turn on. See how easy that is?

On 5/13/2020 at 11:17 AM, reedal said:

You're being childish. It's not that hard to look at the instructions and the product, realize that two wires are different colors, and fill in the blank. By simple process of elimination, the yellow wire has replaced your white as the turn-on, and the larger gauge white wire has replaced the gray as your fans positive turn on. See how easy that is?

Just to jump in on this, how is it childish to expect a little quality control or customer service to not blow up a $115 piece of equipment? And why is it that they somehow expect you to solder an 18g wire ( fuse) directly to a 24g wire (power to battery)? It seems a little confusing to those of us that are not electrical engineers like you apparently are. Please, feel free to fill us in on the process. 

20 hours ago, JonBob said:

Just to jump in on this, how is it childish to expect a little quality control or customer service to not blow up a $115 piece of equipment? And why is it that they somehow expect you to solder an 18g wire ( fuse) directly to a 24g wire (power to battery)? It seems a little confusing to those of us that are not electrical engineers like you apparently are. Please, feel free to fill us in on the process. 

Its childish to whine and complain because you actually have to figure something out and do work. Are the instructions written clearly for the current model of TM-1? No, but the two differences are simple. You dont need to be an electrical engineer to see two different colors and two different gauge wires. If you can't figure it out, then you should probably stop working on your own electronics. Go buy a fuse holder if it didnt come with one. And dont forget to cry about having to a buy a fuse holder.

Edited by reedal
  • Haha (+1 Rep) 1

On 5/17/2020 at 11:13 AM, reedal said:

Its childish to whine and complain because you actually have to figure something out and do work. Are the instructions written clearly for the current model of TM-1? No, but the two differences are simple. You dont need to be an electrical engineer to see two different colors and two different gauge wires. If you can't figure it out, then you should probably stop working on your own electronics. Go buy a fuse holder if it didnt come with one. And dont forget to cry about having to a buy a fuse holder.

Ok, so no answers for the fuse question. Thanks for nothing. I guess you don't know either. And next time try reading the entire thread, you'd know I did figure some things out but still have questions. But you just want to be a smart @$$ know nothing keyboard gangster smashing bull$#!t into your keyboard with your Cheeto crusted fingers. If you can't help then why chime in? All you've managed to say is "figure it out". If you actually knew anything then you'd contribute in a positive way. As far as "you shouldn't be working in your own electronics" goes, how do you expect people to learn without asking questions? That's the point of these forums, to learn and to teach. MENSA members like you should be teaching knuckle dragging wire chewers like me.  I'd hate to gnaw thru my battery ground cable trying to install an amp because I'm such a rererereretard

full.jpg

I answered which wires are what. As far as soldering two different size wires together, it's no different than soldering two of the same size wires together, with the exception that is will not take as long to heat up the smaller wire as it will the larger wire. slide the heat shrink on, strip the wire, slide the strands of the smaller wire in to the strands of the larger wire so they're interlaced, place soldering iron underneath copper, insert solder from above, let it flow over the copper, remove soldering iron, let solder harden, slide heath shrink over solder joint, and apply heat to seal. ta-dahhhhhhh

• Haha (+1 Rep) 2