Amp power wire spark

6 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Car audio shops offer warranties too but not warranties if the user is the reason the audio device is damaged. If so, then that shop is doing something I’ve never seen a shop do. I have homeboys that work at shops and if I buy something under warranty and I mess it up then I have to fix it or replace it. If a shop warrantied car audio gear even if the user is the reason the gear messed up then that ship would lose money because so many people mess up car audio gear because they themselves do something wrong. You misunderstood what that guy told you about that warranty and if he told you that the warranty covers user damages then his boss needs to have a talk with him because he is making the shop lose money. 

Your correct I misread your previous post. My warranty covers if it fails under proper use then it will be repaired or replaced.   

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, MajikNinja said:

No wires Cross touched any of my amp terminals. I had my amp ground and power already installed and covered up. I was up on the car battery putting on the power wire when the spark came from the power wire touching the negative post on the battery. 

That’s making me think right there. The fuse would protect the amp from harm. You would think. And I don’t understand how a positive lead coming from an amp to a negative post would create a spark because it’s not connected to the positive post of the battery, thus isn’t getting current. Maybe it was the capacitors charging up. But then again that wouldn’t make sense because there is no current present. Weird. But if the battery grounds are still connected then it would create a spark but most likely wouldn’t hurt your amp.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

8 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That’s making me think right there. The fuse would protect the amp from harm. You would think. 

Yeah I’m curious to find out IF this could ever cause amplifier damage. The battery grounds were connected. 

13 minutes ago, MajikNinja said:

Yeah I’m curious to find out IF this could ever cause amplifier damage.

Hold up, I’m tripping. Anytime any metal touches any post on a battery if the battery is grounded it can make a spark. And vise versa if the positive feed on the battery is connected and it’s the negative feed making the spark. But since there wasn’t no current and there was a fuse, it wouldn’t harm your amp. Man I can’t believe my ass forgot that for a second. I was just under my hood the other day making connection sparks. 

3 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Was the battery grounds still connected to the battery when the positive feed from the amp touch the batteries negative post?

Yes. I also have a big 3 upgrade with the battery grounded to the chassis with 4 gauge wire. Same with alternator power and engine ground. 

12 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Hold up, I’m tripping. Anytime any metal touches any post on a battery if the battery is grounded it can make a spark. And vise versa if the positive feed on the battery is connected and its the negative feed making the spark. But since there wasn’t no current and there was a fuse, it wouldn’t harm your amp. Man I can’t believe my ass forgot that for a second. I was just under my hood the other day making connection sparks. 

Hold up, so your battery had positive and negative leads on the correct posts when the positive lead of the amp touched the negative post. If so, there was current present. So yes, 100% that will create a spark. And it most likely won’t harm the amp because the fuse on the positive feed will protect it. 

34 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Hold up, I’m tripping. Anytime any metal touches any post on a battery if the battery is grounded it can make a spark. And vise versa if the positive feed on the battery is connected and it’s the negative feed making the spark. But since there wasn’t no current and there was a fuse, it wouldn’t harm your amp. Man I can’t believe my ass forgot that for a second. I was just under my hood the other day making connection sparks. 

No current as in the amp wasn’t connected to the positive? The negative and the positive battery terminals were still connected. I was working on removing the positive post connection when the amp power wire fell down and hit the negative battery terminal post. Amps where grounded in the trunk to separate sanded parts of the chassis. No power connected to the amps during this. 

Archived