Second Skin Audio

My first 6th order

BETBASS

Hello guys, i want to do a series 6th order enclosure for my sundown U18, i just want to know if i start with the specs of the subwoofer, the sundown page says that i need 4.00 cu ft ported and 3.00 sealed, so my question is if i need to do the front chamber 4.00 cu ft and the rear 3.00 cu ft or i use the 4.00 cu ft for the rear chamber and i go bigger on the front, thank you in advance.

On a 6th order enclosure there will be no sealed section, so there’s no need for the recommended sealed enclosure volume to be considered. You focus on the ported recommendations of that subwoofer for the section the subwoofer is mounted in or inverted in (with the polarity reversed) and then the section that it’s firing in you multiply the section that the subwoofer is mounted in by 1,2,3 or higher depending on what kind of output you are looking for. If you don’t know how a 6th order enclosure is constructed and if you don’t understand a 6th order enclosure and know what you’re doing then a 6th order enclosure isn’t for you to build. It more than just calculating the volume and frequency 2 sections. If a 6th is constructed wrong it won’t have good output and a regular ported enclosure you could made would sound louder and better. There are 2 types of 6th order enclosures, series and parallel. When designing a 6th order enclosure their are programs to use and you would have to know how to understand the frequency chart and how to make the frequencies work together and there are other charts you have to understand as well. You also have to account for specification of the subwoofer itself, like the qts, vas, fs, etc. it’s super complicated. It’s even hard when using a program that does the calculation because of inputting the correct figures which is imperative for the enclosure and misreading charts. On a 6th order enclosure, port loading decreases the cone excursion of a subwoofer. So you have to monitor that because it can make the subwoofers voice coil get too hot. So you have to account for that to design an enclosure and calculate figures that helps against that. A good place to start out with frequencies is 25hz on the rear section (the bigger section) and 50hz on the front section (the smaller recommended section). And I like a 2:1 ratio. So the bigger section twice as big as the smaller. Differ in subwoofer and post displacement into the calculations as well when doing the math. Use 6” flared aero ports for the ports. Flares help cancel out port noise. You should find an enclosure builder at a shop or through a shop to design it and build it for you. But If you want to go for trial and error and try it yourself then there’s a place to start. Download WinISD on a laptop or computer and pan out some figures.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Thank you for the info, i want to build a series 6th and they need rear chamber low tuned and small port area and front chamber tune high with large port area i have term pro in my brother shop, i just need to know if i use the 4.00 cu ft recomended for the (small) chamber or the (front) chamber

6 minutes ago, BETBASS said:

Thank you for the info, i want to build a series 6th and they need rear chamber low tuned and small port area and front chamber tune high with large port area i have term pro in my brother shop, i just need to know if i use the 4.00 cu ft recomended for the (small) chamber or the (front) chamber

Yes. 4.00 cubic feet after subwoofer and port displacements.

22 minutes ago, jroo said:

how did you determine if this sub works in a 6th order or not

He didn’t. I guarantee he figured if it works in a ported enclosure then it works in a 6th order enclosure. Subwoofers with a qts of .36 or lower do well in a 6th order enclosure and subwoofers with a qts of .5 or higher do well in a 4th order enclosure. So a dual 2ohm sundown u18 should do well in a 6th order enclosure. But just because the qts of a subwoofer is a little bit off doesn’t make a huge difference and even if the qts is a good bit off doesn’t mean it can’t be done, it just means that certain subwoofer that’s off would do better in a different enclosure. He doesn’t know much about 6th order enclosures and wants to jump straight into building one which isn’t smart. But let him do what he wants. To each is own. Fugh it.

Archived