Kenwood radio problems

I have a Kenwood KDC-X998 headunit and I'm having problems with the unit freezing up. The music keeps playing but all the controls will stop working. The only way I found to get them to work was to turn the radio off and let it completely power down before turning it back on. Then the controls works. Also it will lock up like if I sometimes touch a button or the volume control and do the same steps above to get it to stop.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I hate to replace the radio I just started to use it after it sat in a box for 2 years while I was repainting the vehicle it was going in.

Thanks for the Help.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar one 958HD it does some quirky stuff at times as well. there is a factory reset behind the removable face if you have too. 

1. make sure you have the ground wire connected to a good ground

2. if you are not using all the wire connections/ rca put some tape around them to prevent touching each other or something else.

If you are not using the head unit to power the speakers disregard the rest

3. If the unit is heating up when playing and causes this to happen check your speakers for proper resistance. (i have found that they do not like speakers in parallel or lower than a 3.5 ohm load

4. make sure that there is no speaker wires shorting to ground. (i found 1 single strand sticking out a connector one time causing a major issue) only saw it with the flash light after hours of looking for a problem. I heat shrink or tape all connections now.  

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived