Questions about using welding wire

So, I was looking into maybe using welding wire for my power and ground instead of car audio cable, but I have a couple questions, hopefully you all can help me out. Specifically, I am looking at 4/0 CCI Royal Excelene welding cable. It's $4 a foot. So, my main question is, what does CCI stand for? I searched on the web, and I couldn't find out what it stood for as far as welding cable. The website I was looking at didn't specify if it was oxygen free copper. Does that matter? Though the picture of the bare wire looked copper as hell to me. I've been told cooper clad aluminum isn't the way to go, you've got to use the OFC... and the acronym CCI is quite close to CCA... though it could mean something totally different. And if any of you have any tips on using welding wire, or other info I should know before deciding, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

7 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That particular welding cable isn’t oxygen free (ofc) so it’s not as conductive. It is copper but not as pure nor as conductive because it wasn’t made in an oxygen free environment.

Ok, so then no wire on that website is ofc. I'll have to keep digging I guess. Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You’re welcome. Just get some Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable. Wiring is one of the most essential and important parts of a system. Vital.

I know. That's why I'm trying to ask as many questions as I can lol. I was just drawn to the welding cable because I've read people using welding wire and it's a little less expensive. I didn't know it was so different, at least in the explanation. I don't need 4/0 car audio cable, I've just seen that 2/0 car audio wire is usually closer to 4/0 welding wire. That was my thought process anyway. 

There is good wielding cable that’s ofc. But 4/0 welding cable isn’t as thick as some good 4/0 car audio cable. Like on the toolmaker website it says on their inputs and adapters that are for 1/0 awg cable that it will fit car audio 1/0 awg or welding 2/0 awg because the wires are almost the same size.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

26 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

There is good welding cable that is ofc. But 4/0 welding cable isn’t as thick as some good 4/0 car audio cable. Like on the toolmaker website it says on their inputs and adapters that are for 1/0 awg cable that it will fit car audio 1/0 awg or welding 2/0 awg because the wires are almost the same size.

That's why I was looking at 4/0 welding cable because I was planning on using 2/0 car audio cable

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

So, I was looking into maybe using welding wire for my power and ground instead of car audio cable, but I have a couple questions, hopefully you all can help me out. Specifically, I am looking at 4/0 CCI Royal Excelene welding cable. It's $4 a foot. So, my main question is, what does CCI stand for? I searched on the web, and I couldn't find out what it stood for as far as welding cable. The website I was looking at didn't specify if it was oxygen free copper. Does that matter? Though the picture of the bare wire looked copper as hell to me. I've been told cooper clad aluminum isn't the way to go, you've got to use the OFC... and the acronym CCI is quite close to CCA... though it could mean something totally different. And if any of you have any tips on using welding wire, or other info I should know before deciding, please feel free to chime in. Thanks in advance

Look here, https://www.wireandsupply.com/category_s/60.htm.

Sizing gets confusing. If something says it takes 2/0, does that mean 2/0 AWG or does it mean oversized 2/0 car audio wire? I would go by the AWG standard. I don't know how many people actually need 4/0.

39 minutes ago, blammo585 said:

Look here, https://www.wireandsupply.com/category_s/60.htm.

Sizing gets confusing. If something says it takes 2/0, does that mean 2/0 AWG or does it mean oversized 2/0 car audio wire? I would go by the AWG standard. I don't know how many people actually need 4/0.

That wielding cable isn’t oxygen free. Most all wielding cable and possible all wielding cable isn’t oxygen free. I thought they made ofc wielding cable but from what I’m seeing as I research is the complete opposite and it’s just standard made copper. And I figured out that’s why it’s cheaper because the copper is cheaper to make/process if it isn’t oxygen free. Easier too. Also, Wielding cable is smaller than car audio cable and stiffer.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived