Questions about using welding wire

3 minutes ago, blammo585 said:

Basically what I didn't do a good job of saying is most people just worry about copper vs copper clad aluminum. The welding cable is copper. I don't know that anyone would use copper clad aluminum wire for welding but I'm no expert there.

I don't think the welding wire has the strand count as the finer strand car audio wire. It's not quite as flexible but as someone described it, it's flexible enough.

That site I linked to has free shipping. You can order 1 foot just to see it. I ordered a foot of several different sizes just so I could see it. I can tell you the 2/0 wire measures approximately 11.29mm in diameter. To give you a comparison, the 4 gauge welding wire measures about 5.9mm (although looking at the pic I may have been squeezing the wire a bit too much), and the Knukonceptz 4 gauge measured 7.56mm. On Knukonceptz's website they describe their 4 gauge as 3 AWG (so, slightly bigger than standard 4 gauge and that checks out).

The website you linked me to was actually the website I was looking at royal Excelene on. I went to their website and found this chart. If I understand it correctly, the 4/0 is rated at 405 amps. I can't find what the SHCA 2/0 wire is rated, but the GP audio 2/0 is rated at 400 amps. It's class M wire which I guess is more durable and more conductive than class k welding wire. Now that I see power shouldn't be an issue, 1.21 explained the difference in conductivity between pure copper and ofc.... and it doesn't seem to be much for a daily driver build like I'm building. I can see where if you're running a competition setup, or a massive demo setup, those numbers would make a huge difference, but I feel like a daily build, more than sufficient power that's reliable is fine. (Please correct be if I'm wrong) I'm kind of leaning more towards this welding wire after today. It'll save me a little over $100

Screenshot_20200513-170445_Samsung Internet.jpg

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

48 minutes ago, 12V71 said:

Here, just save you some money these folks ship it out asap and I could not be happier with the results. I use them on my Industrial projects as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-EXCELENE-AWG-WELDING-BATTERY-CABLE-RED-600V-MADE-IN-USA-BUY-PER-FOOT/301978202310?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Right on! Thank you! It's going to be a while before I need it, because of all this covid stuff, but I've bookmarked that on my phone so I can find it again. 

7 hours ago, 12V71 said:

Here, just save you some money these folks ship it out asap and I could not be happier with the results. I use them on my Industrial projects as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-EXCELENE-AWG-WELDING-BATTERY-CABLE-RED-600V-MADE-IN-USA-BUY-PER-FOOT/301978202310?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The wireandsupply site has it for a little cheaper and free shipping.

From the chart posted above name brand quality car audio wire 1/0 wire is oversized and is not a true gauge that follows the AWG standard, so in welding wire you would want to get 2/0 wire which is equal to 1/0 gauge car audio wire...
If you bought 1/0 gauge welding wire it WILL BE SMALLER than 1/0 gauge car audio wire and it will be smaller than the 1/0 gauge power inputs on your amplifier. You will not be happy when you order 1/0 gauge welding wire and your wire is smaller than you expected.

Copper vs Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) I wouldn't worry much about that.

56 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

From the chart posted above name brand quality car audio wire 1/0 wire is oversized and is not a true gauge that follows the AWG standard, so in welding wire you would want to get 2/0 wire which is equal to 1/0 gauge car audio wire...
If you bought 1/0 gauge welding wire it WILL BE SMALLER than 1/0 gauge car audio wire and it will be smaller than the 1/0 gauge power inputs on your amplifier. You will not be happy when you order 1/0 gauge welding wire and your wire is smaller than you expected.

Yeah, I was planning on doing 2 runs of 2/0 car audio cable, so if I use welding wire I'd need to grab 4/0 gauge. Thanks for the heads up though, I didn't think about the inputs into the amps being measured on car audio cable. I'll have to just get car audio cable for that. Keep it simple. I'll only less than 10' of that anyway

1 hour ago, audiofanaticz said:

Are the inputs bigger though? I've read accounts of people buying a certain gauge car audio wire for the amp and then the wire not being able to fit in the input. It's like some amps are TRUE gauge and some amps may use oversized holes.

The other thing that no one clears up is when we say, "You need 1/0." What are we really talking about? If you truly need 1/0 then AWG is enough. You can't say you need 1/0, but I really mean 2/0.

1 minute ago, blammo585 said:

Are the inputs bigger though? I've read accounts of people buying a certain gauge car audio wire for the amp and then the wire not being able to fit in the input. It's like some amps are TRUE gauge and some amps may use oversized holes.

The other thing that no one clears up is when we say, "You need 1/0." What are we really talking about? If you truly need 1/0 then AWG is enough. You can't say you need 1/0, but I really mean 2/0.

I guess when someone says you need 1/0 gauge, they're more referring to the amp rating of the wire, because yeah, car audio cable is oversized than the "American standard" GP audio 2/0 is rated at 400 amps. Royal Excelene 4/0 is rated at 405 amps. So if your talking about car audio, and someone says "you need 2/0", I guess what they really mean without knowing it is you need wire that's rated around 400 amps

Archived