Sundown Audio

Sub Amp Suggestion Please

Cold40

Think my amp just bit the dust finally and it's been about 15 years since I shopped so I have no idea what's good anymore (and I'm no longer on the broke kid budget either).

Here's what I'm looking to power -

Thunder 9510 Subwoofer Specifications

Model T9510-44 T9510-04
Description 10" Subwoofer 10" Subwoofer
Impedance Dual 4 Ω 4 Ω
RMS Power (Watts) 750 750
Rec. RMS Amplifier
Power (Watts)
375 - 750 375 - 750
Sensitivity 87.48dB 85.90dB
Voice Coil 3.5" 3.5"
Magnet Weight (oz.) 195 195
Mounting Depth 9-5/16" 9-5/16"
Cut Out Diameter 9-3/16" 9-3/16"
Sealed Enclosure Net Volume .63ft3-1.25ft3 .63ft3-1.25ft3
Vented Enclosure Net Volume 1.25ft3 1.25ft3
Speaker Displacement .14ft3 .14ft3
Volume Displacement (SD x XMAX) (in3) 55.73 55.73
Tuning Frequency 37Hz 37Hz

I am running 2 of the dual 4ohm woofers wired down to 1ohm in a 'snailshell' box (some type of bandpass or transmission line design I guess?).

My dead amp was an old Audiobahn A18001DQ 1800W RMS although I've heard they were overrated so unsure how much it was actually providing.

Don't want to go crazy high-end as I don't know how long I'll keep the vehicle, but I want something that will be musically accurate and give plenty of power to those woofers please.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Skar audio rp1500 or pioneer 1200.1. Rockford Fosgate has a few amps that would work too. The Skar is the cheapest but is a real 1500 rms amp. Skar is good quality. Ive had a few of their amps for years. You may also look into replacing your wiring. It may not be big enough to run a real 1500rms amp. Also check your woofers. 15 years is a long time on woofers too. Check for any cracking in the surrounds and check the strength of the spiders. Also check them with a dmm to make sure the coils are still solid.

Skar is good and cost effective. Also d.c audio has some highly rated amps. Wolfram is kind of the new kid on the block, but I see people running their equipment all over the internet. Sundown is another good one. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Thank you for your recommendations! I will go check those brands out.

I'm running 0ga wire so I think I should be good there. Surrounds are clean and the spiders still feel taught. I didn't use the subs much, I barely drive the car 2K mi a year so they haven't had as much playtime as you'd expect in 15 years.

I'll see if I can find a shop around here with a DMM to check the coils, I hadn't thought to do that so thank you.

Archived