Help me understand Crossover Points

Guys Can you help explain to me how cross over points work in a nutshell so I can understand where to set my freqencies.

I dont want you to tell me where to set them just the theory behind where is best to set them based on the specs of the speakers/amps.

Subwoofers Example :

Taramp HD3000.1

2 x Skar Audio ZVX-8 manufacture says 40-500hz

if my box is tuned to 36hz

my question is is this speaker even capable of playing that low  ?

Should my Crossovers be set right at the 36hz, or should i be right on the 40hz  or should i choose a value right below where my mids start and let the subs cover everything below that. For example at the 55Hz

most ppl say Cross are 80hz

Mids example

Taramp DS800x4 

Sundown 6.5 Components Manufacture says 55- 20khz

Sundown 6.5 Coaxials manufacture says 60-20khz 

This is where I get confused.

If I set my crossovers to the exact point the manufacture says  would I not be having some overlap between the subs and mids ?

So how it this ideally done 

Note my amplifier  for Mids only has a Low, High or  Full Pass Switch no dials to set. I will likely get an external crossover  pending how you guys help me understand this.

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

2020 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

8 x DS18 6.5 Pro x6m - mids 

2 x Soundsteam SST-05 Bullet Tweeter

2 x DS18 TW220 Super Tweeters

4 X SkarAudio EVL-8  BASS

Big 3 

Yellow Top

On a subwoofer amp you want to use a LPF (low pass filter) and set it to 80hz, meaning that every frequency 80hz and below will play/pass and no frequency over 80hz will play:pass. And on a mids and highs amp, if you set a HPF to 80hz then every frequency above 80hz will play and none under 80hz will play. But I like to set my mids and highs amp to 75hz high pass so I don’t miss a beat. Some people just set there mids and highs amp on full/full pass/full range. But I don’t like doing that because I think lower frequencies sound bad on midrange drivers.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

On a subwoofer amp you want to use a LPF (low pass filter) and set it to 80hz, meaning that every frequency 80hz and below will play/pass and no frequency over 80hz will play:pass. And if you set a HPF to 80hz then every frequency above 80hz will play and none under 80hz will play.

I understand that much but my real question was why pick those frequencies and not pay any attention to the tuning of the box, or manufacture specs. 

My Build log :

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170934-dragonmobile-re-audio-2300rms-stealth-build-08-focus/

Current System

2020 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew

Audio Control Epicenter

Audio Control LC7i

Taramp PRO 2.6 DSP

Taramp DS4x800 - Highs

Taramp HD3000.1  Mids

Taramp MD5000.1 Bass

8 x DS18 6.5 Pro x6m - mids 

2 x Soundsteam SST-05 Bullet Tweeter

2 x DS18 TW220 Super Tweeters

4 X SkarAudio EVL-8  BASS

Big 3 

Yellow Top

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

On a subwoofer amp you want to use a LPF (low pass filter) and set it to 80hz, meaning that every frequency 80hz and below will play/pass and no frequency over 80hz will play:pass. And on a mids and highs amp, if you set a HPF to 80hz then every frequency above 80hz will play and none under 80hz will play. But I like to set my mids and highs amp to 75hz high pass so I don’t miss a beat. Some people just set there mids and highs amp on full/full pass/full range. But I don’t like doing that because I think lower frequencies sound bad on midrange drivers.

2 minutes ago, Dragonware said:

I understand that much but my real question was why pick those frequencies and not pay any attention to the tuning of the box, or manufacture specs. 

The low pass filter has nothing to do with the tuning of the enclosure. The subsonic filter, aka a subwoofer amp high pass filter, is meant for that.

It is easy to use the head unit crossover if you have that option sub LP front HP Rear HP. If not it can be achieved on the amp using the same concept.

Do not worry about the gap in frequency it all blends together at the end

1st turn the subs off and focus on your mids and highs. do one set at a time, start with the comp. set 

(assuming you are using a passive inline crossover that came with the component speakers) 

Start off at around 120hz HP play the type of music you generally listen to. turn the volume up and adj. the HP setting to the freq. that does not overwork and start to distort your comp. set (mine works best around 100hz)

Do the same with the Coaxials (if in the rear i find the HP slightly higher setting) ex. front set to 100hz rear set to 120hz

Now listen to both sets at the same time make fine adjustments to gain and or HP (rear is fill not overpowering the front)

Subs start off with LP set at 80hz and do the same thing (one of my cars sounds better at 50hz and the other is set to 60hz) 

3 hours ago, 12V71 said:

It is easy to use the head unit crossover if you have that option sub LP front HP Rear HP. If not it can be achieved on the amp using the same concept.

Do not worry about the gap in frequency it all blends together at the end

1st turn the subs off and focus on your mids and highs. do one set at a time, start with the comp. set 

(assuming you are using a passive inline crossover that came with the component speakers) 

Start off at around 120hz HP play the type of music you generally listen to. turn the volume up and adj. the HP setting to the freq. that does not overwork and start to distort your comp. set (mine works best around 100hz)

Do the same with the Coaxials (if in the rear i find the HP slightly higher setting) ex. front set to 100hz rear set to 120hz

Now listen to both sets at the same time make fine adjustments to gain and or HP (rear is fill not overpowering the front)

Subs start off with LP set at 80hz and do the same thing (one of my cars sounds better at 50hz and the other is set to 60hz) 

Quit giving bad advice. This bad advice will confuse the OP. And distortion only takes place when a gain on an amp is set too far or if the head unit creates distortion. If frequency filters are set wrong it will just limit the frequencies played. Not distort them. What do you mean don’t set a mids and highs frequency that will overwork the speakers and cause distortion. Most people just set their head unit to flat and see if it has a distortion point and then if it does then they tune their system a notch below that on the volume. Some people tune their head unit to where they like it and then find the distortion point on the volume then turn it a notch down and then tune their amps and don’t play past the distortion point. And if there is a gap in frequency then them frequencies in that gap won’t play. So yeah, you have to worry about that gap in frequency and no it won’t magically blend together with a gap in frequency. 

On 5/21/2020 at 1:55 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

Quit giving bad advice. This bad advice will confuse the OP. And distortion only takes place when a gain on an amp is set too far or if the head unit creates distortion. If frequency filters are set wrong it will just limit the frequencies played. Not distort them. What do you mean don’t set a mids and highs frequency that will overwork the speakers and cause distortion. Most people just set their head unit to flat and see if it has a distortion point and then if it does then they tune their system a notch below that on the volume. Some people tune their head unit to where they like it and then find the distortion point on the volume then turn it a notch down and then tune their amps and don’t play past the distortion point. And if there is a gap in frequency then them frequencies in that gap won’t play. So yeah, you have to worry about that gap in frequency and no it won’t magically blend together with a gap in frequency. 

Reading comprehension was not one of your strong points 

• 1 month later...

🤣 figting over crossover points lmao. My PEANUT GALLERY advice is take your setup to a place  were your not going to get a ticket for playing your system to loud, then start by finding your max level before distortion on your HU. start with your mids and highs(it all depends on the type of music you like). for example i have shitty stock mids and highs so i set my mids and highs high (160hrz-250hrz) because it keeps them from sounding crappy with to low to hrz. I personally WOULD start with setting you cross-overs were the manufacture says they play  and play the type of music you like, again start with the mids and highs, then slowly turn the crossover up till theres no distortion, then simply repeat  with the subs. i have my LPF set at 80 to 100hrz because any higher and the sub try playing to many tones at one time. yes i know im missing  from 100hrz to 160 plus but again its all about how YOU like it. so basically start were the manufacture say the CAN play and slowly adjust then to find were they LIKE to play. its all about what YOU like. i set my crossovers so that my mids and highs dont distort. i have a bigg a** sub (T1D215) so i know it can handle the power and tone.  i use the amp cross over to "suck-up" the extra space and clean the tones up.... unfortunately its all about trial and error. in my mind the crossovers are for protecting your speakers from trying to play tones that the  speakers dont like AKA DISTORTION... but ik someones gana come behind me , "YOUR STUPID AND WRONG"...  

Archived