Second Skin Audio

How sensitive is human hearing to enclosure tuning ???

39 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

It’s all good dude. And the subwoofer enclosure you have now would work for a zvx. No problem. For sure. Just invert the subwoofer and wire out of phase. Don mess with the phase control on your amp if it has one. And if your enclosure is tuned to 30.5hz before subwoofer displacement, it’s around 31-31.25hz after subwoofer displacement. So if that enclosure is 30.5hz without displacement then it will stay at that frequency if you invert the subwoofer. But if that enclosure is 30.5hz after subwoofer displacement then you can’t invert the subwoofer because inverting the subwoofer to save volume in that scenario would make the enclosure 29 point something in frequency. Or better yet, in that scenario you COULD invert the subwoofer, just adjust the tuning like you were talking about. That would be the only scenario I would recommend adjusting the frequency. On that enclosure, is it tuned to 30.5hz before subwoofer displacement, like did you design it without putting subwoofer displacements into the program?

Actually, when designing my enclosure, I included sub displacement, braces... silicone... Everything ! :) lol I'm telling you, I'm SO freaking anal about this stuff. Id bet my truck, that this box is within .1... or maybe .05 cu feet, of 5.0 "net". And keep in mind, adjusting my tuning frequency is as easy as removing a 75 gram weighted washer from each of my Passive Radiators (they have two each, right now) and replacing it with a 25 gr washer, which I can do without even removing the PR, while I have the 18" subwoofer out for replacement.  All of this stuff is really easy to model in WinIsd too. I play with this stuff for hours, just for fun :)

38 minutes ago, Fish Chris said:

Actually, when designing my enclosure, I included sub displacement, braces... silicone... Everything ! :) lol I'm telling you, I'm SO freaking anal about this stuff. Id bet my truck, that this box is within .1... or maybe .05 cu feet, of 5.0 "net". And keep in mind, adjusting my tuning frequency is as easy as removing a 75 gram weighted washer from each of my Passive Radiators (they have two each, right now) and replacing it with a 25 gr washer, which I can do without even removing the PR, while I have the 18" subwoofer out for replacement.  All of this stuff is really easy to model in WinIsd too. I play with this stuff for hours, just for fun :)

Then once the subwoofer is out the tuning will drop like about 1hz. So inverting the new subwoofer will have about a 29.5hz frequency. You would have to adjust the tuning inside the port, not port length, and doing so will add port velocity, hopefully not too much that could cause port noise. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Then once the subwoofer is out the tuning will drop like about 1hz. So inverting the new subwoofer will have about a 29.5hz frequency. You would have to adjust the tuning inside the port, not port length, and doing so will add port velocity, hopefully not too much that could cause port noise. 

Well I'm not using an actual port. My passive radiators act as a port. Dropping the counter balance weight from the current 150 gm's per PR, to 100 gm's is what will bring it back up from 29 to 32hz 

IMG_20200202_145011.jpg

I didn’t read that post before that picture post thoroughly. Luckily I’m good at reading pictures lol! I didn’t know you were using passive radiators as a port. I wouldn’t use PRs for a SPL application though. It also reduces xmax and doesn’t move as much air as a regular bass reflex enclosure. But it works though. Fugh it. Its kinda cool because not many people are using PRs.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

41 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I didn’t read that post before that picture post thoroughly. Luckily I’m good at reading pictures lol! I didn’t know you were using passive radiators as a port. I wouldn’t use PRs for a SPL application though. It also reduces xmax and doesn’t move as much air as a regular bass reflex enclosure. But it works though. Fugh it. Its kinda cool because not many people are using PRs.

Ya know, it's interesting. WinIsd does show about 1 1/2 db loss... But This is just the nicest sounding box I've ever built. Super flat response. Plays deep bass really well, but also such tight, snappy kick drums. I swear I could cross thing over at 200 hz no problem, but then my four 8" mid bass drivers wouldn't have anything to do 😀

Obviously zero port noise.... But then again, I don't think I ever experienced that with any of my ported boxes anyway.

If all I was interested in was SPL's, I could go on and tune it to 48hz too.... Probably add 4-6 db's

But in the end, I'm pretty much an SQL kind of guy.

Archived