Sundown Audio

taramps mod 1800.1

destroythem

So I have a single 10" sundown sa d4.

I had a old crappy lighting audio amp hooked up to it. It is 300w at 2 ohm. The sub hits pretty damn had for what I have powering it. I got a taramps mod 1800.1 to get to the rms wattage of the sub. I set the gain to 38vac which would be giving close to 750w. I have my bass boost off and crossovers set at minimum. The box the sub is in is 1.33cuft with a slot port.tuned to 35hz. After installing the taramps amp it is no where near as loud and does not hit the same lows. I assumed my new amp would be louder and cleaner and it is not. Any ideas?

The amp isn’t tuned right and did you get the 2 ohm version md1800 or the 1 ohm version? That sa 10 can handle double that rated 750 rms. Easy. And a gain has nothing to do with how much rms the amp delivers and setting crossovers at minimum is making the frequency range minimal that’s why it won’t hit the same low frequencies. It sounds like you don’t know how to tune an amp. I can help you. Just whenever I get a response from you on this thread then we can go from there.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Yes I am new to this. I used mess with subs a bit when I was younger , I would like to learn more, I'm just going from what I am watching in videos . I set the gain according to sonic electronics video on how to. It is the 1 ohm amp. The speaker is wired to 2 ohm and I have verified that with a dmm.

Set that amp’s lpf at 80hz and set the subsonic/infrasonic filter about 5hz below the tuning of the enclosure you’re using. Here’s a video to show you how to set the filters with a dmm or you can buy an smd cc-1 and it makes it WAY easier than this video I’m about to post. And when tuning with a dmm, just play an 80hz test tone to tune to 80hz and then whatever frequency you find out for the subsonic/infrasonic filter should be at and play that frequency to tune the subsonic/infrasonic filter. I’m also going to post a link so you can buy a cc-1 if you want so it makes it so easy anybody can do it and you need to buy a smd dd-1 (distortion detector) to set the gain correctly. Or you can rig up a cheap distortion detector that I will post a video and link to do so in a little bit after I eat. Or you could just say fugh it and do what a lot of shops do and turn the gain a little less than half way or half way and be done with it. Never past half way. This is the setting filters with a dmm how to video.

Very helpful,  I was really disappointed when I had almost no performance out of my amp. I blew a fuse yesterday and no one has fuses around here so it will be a couple days before i can adjust my amp because I had to order on Amazon. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. Thank you for the guidance.

5 hours ago, destroythem said:

Ok cool I'm gonna check it out. My amp has a clipping light is that the same or nah

Yes it’s the same thing. I forgot that taramps have a built in distortion detector. My bad. Just set your filters correctly with a dmm or a smd cc-1. 

Hi, this is Erik. We all know firearms are dangerous, but only when one doesn’t know how to use and care for them. I have 15+ years of experience with different types of guns and for the last 10 years, I have taught numerous people how to hold and shoot a gun while staying safe and keeping the surroundings unharmed. My neighbors are some of my biggest admirers who enjoy talking to me about their guns, firearms safety and maintenance. Whenever I am able to catch a moment of free time, you will find me enjoying my family or heading to the range on my motorcycle. I have enjoyed shooting sports ever since my dad introduced them to me as a child. I like to think myself as an outdoorsman who lives his life to the fullest. I hope you would benefit from my efforts to create valuable resources on this website. Happy reading!

Archived