Sonic Electronix

Can I somehow make this clipping indicator work ?

So, my 4 channel Skar Audio SKv2-100.4A  came with a clipping indicator..... but it is also part of a bass knob, for people who are going to bridge this amp and use it as a subwoofer amp (which seems kind of silly to me, but whatever)  Anyway, I'm using the amp in the 4 ch stereo mode. But Id sure love to be able to use the led clipping indicator. However I've been told this only works when using the amp as a sub amplifier ? It blows me away that every amp doesn't at least have an LED clip indicator built in. They did 30 years ago :(

if your amp puts out more power than your speakers can handle, you dont have to worry about clipping if you know how to adjust your gains correctly 

if your amp puts out less power than your speakers can handle, just turn the amp up until it clips, then back it off a hair.  you can hear clipping

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

16 minutes ago, nauc said:

if your amp puts out more power than your speakers can handle, you dont have to worry about clipping if you know how to adjust your gains correctly 

if your amp puts out less power than your speakers can handle, just turn the amp up until it clips, then back it off a hair.  you can hear clipping

I believe my Kenwood deck is clean to 32 (out of 35) and Ive adjusted my gains as close as I can by ear, to match 32 on my volume control. But recordings vary so much, I think some things will still clip at 32, while others will not even be close to clipping.... nor loud enough. My mids/highs are rated for 75 wts RMS, and I believe that they are getting right about 75 wts RMS.... but then again, if there is resistance rise in mids/highs, as their is in sub woofers, then I really have no idea.

I've been told for years, that "you can't" hear the first tiny amounts of clipping.  And that by the time you hear it, its probably pretty substantial. 

Archived