Simple Build 2019 Ford Edge ST

After many many years and many many different sizes and styles of audio systems I decided to go very simple on this build. The B&O mids and highs aren't the best, but for factory they are pretty good so for now they are staying that way. This build consists of adding a single sub with ported box, using a Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 12", Atrend 2.12cuft ported box tuned to 32Hz, a Sundown Audio SFB-1000D amplifier with a Audio Control LC2i. I also have some important NOTES at the bottom of this post for anyone who is doing an install similar to this in a 2019/2020 Edge ST.

Here is my baby.

IMG_20200312_190153.thumb.jpg.c6dab6fda79dcf05239cd6077d75b898.jpg

There was one main hurdle in this install, that's the power wire there are very few factory spots, in fact I could only locate one, it wasn't until I actually bought the gear to put in my edge did I finally get off my butt and use that spot. This is an oval shaped grommet on the left side (as you look at the engine bay) firewall. 

This Photo is NOT mine however it shows the location of the grommet I used.

I used a tool I picked up a while ago to make this easier they are wire insertion tools, I got a set of them one is 8 gauge the other is 4 gauge. https://www.amazon.com/Thexton-THE476-Wire-Insertion-Combo/dp/B000K1IEAC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Here is a picture of the 4 gauge one I used to run my power wire.

After getting it through the grommet you will want to push towards the left side of the vehicle, so towards the passenger door, the wire will eventually poke out from behind the blower which to get to you have to undo the glove box which has a small side arm that you slide inwards slightly then pull it out, then there are two tabs at the top of the glove box you push in slightly then pull down the glove box.

Here is a picture of the power wire at the battery. 269497

I then routed the wire down the step panels all the way into the rear hatch area. Be careful of breaking the white clips ford used for the step panels and other panels inside the edge, if you break some, as I did, grab a bag of them off amazon as I did. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ML5BW95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also recommend this kit if you don't already have one, helps a lot with removing clips and panels with little to no damage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GFP4SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I had the power wire done, it was time to move on to the amp/LC2i mounting. I wanted to do as little modification as possible so I used a small piece of plywood covered in black carpet to fit inside the foam insert under the rear hatch. This was screwed in from the bottom of the insert to keep it from possibly sliding around.

With that done, I used a 1 and 1/8th hole saw bit to drill out a hole and put a snap grommet in with a little adhesive.  I then routed all the wires in and got things where I wanted including the fuse holder.

With that done, I then moved to putting in the box and holders for it. The holders are just 3/4" plywood carpeted and screwed in from the underside of the floor cover.

And here is what it looks like with my normal use things in the rear, the net and 3 moving blankets.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with how this came out, the sound is perfect for me. And I can remove the sub/box in under 5mins, wire nut cap the leads and have all my cargo room back if necessary for a trip to HomeDepot/Lowes.

NOTES

1) This vehicle has Active Noise Control, and this WILL introduce a solid TONE over any subwoofer addition using a converter such as the LC2i or similar. You can use Forscan with a laptop to turn off ANC, you will need the OBDII adapter and the software around $80-$150 depending on how long of a license you purchase for forscan. You can also cut the ANC wires (I don't know which they are) at the amplifier. OR you can do what I did which was free, and only a minor pain in the rear, AND it does not modify the vehicle permanently. There are THREE ANC microphones in the Edge ST, two up front and one in the rear hatch in the headliner.  The rear microphone is the ticket, you can pull up the hatch seal that contacts the headliner at the rear, then gently pull down the headliner, there are a few magnets that help hold it up, so do NOT freak out when they disengage. Then you can squeeze a arm in and undo the clip on that rear microphone, and your ANC is now OFF.

2) Subwoofer wire tapping; there are 4 wires to the factory sub in the Edge ST because its a DVC subwoofer. At the time of doing this install, there were NO diagrams online I could find, so I reached out to some contacts and I got information for what each pin is.  Coil #1 Purple/Blue is Positive, Yellow/Blue is Negative. Coil #2 Yellow/Purple is Positive, Green/Blue is Negative.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

• 2 months later...

I have had ZERO issues with heat or overheating, and I love the amp.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Archived