Sonic Electronix

So I don’t know why but I was told to install a line driver. My deck has 2.5v sub preout,so I’m wondering why it was recommended. With the driver set to 5v my amp gain on my rp2000.1 is all the way down. Skar amps can only take 6v max.. If I remove the line driver and match the gain to the sub pre-out voltage wouldn’t it sound the same? Just trying to wrap my head around all of this, and eliminate the driver if needed.

5BA27DDB-577C-4ACF-B97A-18978DFAB029.jpeg

Maybe the reason somebody installed a line driver is because the head unit is sending off a weak rca signal (even though it’s suppose to put out 2.5v, but doesn’t) and without the line driver you probably have to turn the gain all the way up and then are forced to go to the no no zone and turn the bass boost up a little before clipping is ever present because the rca signal is that minimal. That’s a reason somebody installs a line driver. I don’t think anybody would install a line drive for no reason. And the gain has nothing to do with output so why care if it is almost turned down all the way? All that matters is that there’s a good signal. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Someone probably recommended it to him out of ignorance or just to make some money by selling one. you need quite a few amps before needing a line driver. 

If there is an issue with the source signal then adding a line driver just covers up a problem. Assuming everything is working correctly there is zero need for a line driver. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

5 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Someone probably recommended it to him out of ignorance or just to make some money by selling one. you need quite a few amps before needing a line driver. 

If there is an issue with the source signal then adding a line driver just covers up a problem. Assuming everything is working correctly there is zero need for a line driver. 

even if its doing the right preamp voltage the higher voltage doesn't tax the amp as much and can help reduce noise 

13 minutes ago, MrSkippyJ said:

Maybe less noise, though I doubt most people can notice. And no, it’s not harder on the amp. 

are you sure because im pretty sure i have  read some papers from different audio peeps that it says it does both... .

Higher input voltage helps keep your gain lower, so any noise in the signal will be less noticeable in the output. That part is very true. If you are that worried about it though and you have enough noise for it to be noticeable then I would fix the noise issue first instead of trying to cover it up. If your source has noisy outputs, get a better source. If your install is bad and are adding noise to the signal that way, fix your install. On a side note here, if you have really low input voltage (something near the minimum requirement of the amp) then you might gets some benefit from a line driver in regards to noise. But I would still fix the source issue first and we are taking about 2.5v vs 5v here. 2.5v outputs are more than fine here.

I’m not sure why you think the amp works harder with lower input voltage.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

On 5/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, MrSkippyJ said:

Higher input voltage helps keep your gain lower, so any noise in the signal will be less noticeable in the output. That part is very true. If you are that worried about it though and you have enough noise for it to be noticeable then I would fix the noise issue first instead of trying to cover it up. If your source has noisy outputs, get a better source. If your install is bad and are adding noise to the signal that way, fix your install. On a side note here, if you have really low input voltage (something near the minimum requirement of the amp) then you might gets some benefit from a line driver in regards to noise. But I would still fix the source issue first and we are taking about 2.5v vs 5v here. 2.5v outputs are more than fine here.

I’m not sure why you think the amp works harder with lower input voltage.

Like I said before I’m pretty sure I read it In a few papers and/or car stereo cookbook...I mean I could be wrong and it could of been something else but definitely to lazy to look even though I have the book on a book case lol

Archived