Second Skin Audio

Voice coil recommendations

I have a motor from a fi btl 15 that ive mated to an 18" basket. Im having trouble finding a voice coil that A) works properly and B) gives me the output im looking for. Ive gone through 2 so far from fixmyspeaker.com. the first coil the leads broke off where they did the former extension and the second one of the coils was dead on arrival. Its near impossible to get tech support out of them so ive been looking for a new source. Any suggestions? Fyi im running a three layer progressive roll spider, kevlar/pulp cone, and tall roll surround, and would like to continue using this combo. Also ive put 1" aluminum spacers between the motor and basket. 

Just get a recone kit from ficaraudio.com. Because if trying to soup up that subwoofer isn’t working even when the best company who helps soup up soft parts isnt working then that means it’s a no go. Just recone that subwoofer to stock and it can handle almost twice the rated rms stock. When it comes to Fi subwoofers, Fi recones are the way to go. Why do you need it souped up anyways?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

It came to me as someones half assed attempt at a recone without any indication of original manufacturer. The motor had/has enough ass for me to justify stepping up from being a 15 to an 18. The first coil didnt last 3 hours before fms.com's shity former extension gave out. That bitch thumped for those three hours. Tore it down, found the issue, could never get a response so against my better judgement i ordered another coil, cone, etc... Drop it in the expedition and only one of the coils works. Ive had multiple people look at it to make sure i wasnt overlooking a flaw in my work. You know, another set of eyes. Still no dice. Now dont get me wrong, even on one coil at 1.4 she bangs harder than a 20$ hooker on a Saturday night. But i would like to know what it could actually do if everything was functional. Its not my first "frankenwoofer", and the first one turned out amazing, so i had high hopes. bought the new dats to get the enclosure on point and all. 

Archived