I need a loud 4" midrange....

Dale

I need some recommendations as far as the loudest possible 4" mid-range speaker. I am planning a build with 2 15s and need to be able to hear my vocals over the bass. The main goal here is LOUD and CLEAR. No budget. 

Vehicle: 2015 BMW X3

What I have now: Alpine S-S40 coaxials.

I will get the amplifier power to match, I just need some ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually bought the Morels. They didn't quite work out in my favor. They are considerably quieter than the Alpines I had and can't handle the 150 Watts that they claim. I had to cross them over to 120Hz+ to avoid over-driving them. 

I thought you were a sound quality guy. They are warm sounding. They don’t scream. They are sound quality drivers. And how do you know they can’t handle 150 rms? No 45 rms 4” alpine type s coaxials will get louder than 150 rms morel midranges unless you’re doing something wrong. The alpines would get louder at lower rms though because they have a lower rms setting. And they scream because they have tweeters (highs) in them. But at 150 rms them midrange would be way louder than them alpines at 45 rms. Them midranges can handle rated rms. You might be clipping. Morel handles rated. For sure. You’re doing something wrong. Plus you forget, that coaxials have tweeters and midranges dont. So there isn’t any highs coming out of the MIDranges so they won’t scream like them alpines will because the lack of high frequencies. You need highs with MIDs to get loud and scream. Just add some tweeters with some bass blockers and tune your amp better.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I do appreciate SQ....but I also like my ears to bleed a little every now and then. I have them paired with Tweeters (around the same rated power). I admit, they do sound very warm and emotional especially when burned in. I currently have about 250 Wrms going to each door. It may just be physical damage to the actual driver as it sounds like the former is hitting something and only the right side is doing this. I will inspect it further and let you know for sure....

15 minutes ago, Dale said:

I do appreciate SQ....but I also like my ears to bleed a little every now and then. I have them paired with Tweeters (around the same rated power). I admit, they do sound very warm and emotional especially when burned in. I currently have about 250 Wrms going to each door. It may just be physical damage to the actual driver as it sounds like the former is hitting something and only the right side is doing this. I will inspect it further and let you know for sure....

Contact parts-express and tell them. They are a good company and I’m pretty sure they will make remedy that problem. How are you running the mids in reference with each other and to your amp? And what type of tweeters?

Here is a breakdown of my system:

--BMW Headunit with Hifi 676 option going to a Technic harness which provides low level balanced differential outputs (front and rear)

--This goes to an Audiocontrol DM-608 DSP >> (X2) Precision Power 520.4 (soon to be replaced) and a Sundown SFB 5K

--One PP 520.4 is connected to the Morels and Alpine SPR-10TW tweeters bridged.

--The other PP 520.4 runs the center stock speaker bridged (crossed at 115Hz) and 2 underseat 8" midbass drivers @ 2ohm each.

--The Sundown 5K is on 1 15" Skar Audio VXFD4

--Rear door speakers are disconnected ATM

You aren’t gonna get that sound you are looking for that you described by using silk dome tweeters. Get some titanium or aluminum dome tweeters. Same size. Or better yet, get a some 1” super tweeters. They will come with bass blockers. Most likely. If not, I’ll send you a link to purchase some from parts express. And make sure you set dsp where it crosses over at 3500hz and the tweeters don’t put out as much as the mids, less than half as much as the mids. 

Archived