Sonic Electronix

Where can I get a decent clamp on meter ?

With everybody always saying, "you need to meter that".... Or "clamp that".....

Well, point me towards a decent meter.... Hopefully less the $100. Just need it to show me minimum and maximum fluctuations in volts, amps, etc.

Are their brands which are a better value than Fluke ? Those seemed to mostly run $150 to $250 ! Holy shites, I wasn't planning to open a shop 😀 lol

For clamping an amp the clamp meter can be cheap because you’ll need to read ac current. But clamping an alternator the clamp meter will be more money because you’ll need to read dc current and those meters cost more. You can find a $10-$20 ac current clamp meter that will work just fine for clamping an amp. Just pick one. It doesn’t matter too much. The cheap ones read about the same numbers as the expensive ones. I’ve steady watched YouTube videos on clamp meters in the past. Lol! But the dc current reading clamp meter read ac current too so that would be a better choice. Klein tools makes good clamp meters that are good like fluke but half the price. Not cheap meters but they are really good are sturdy. They are about $150. And the fluke clamp meters you are looking at don’t read dc current. The fluke clamp meters that read dc current are $299 and up. I’m gonna post the clamp meter I was about to get to read dc current to check alternators but decided not to. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000A-Digital-Clamp-Meter-1EA/313054427578?epid=22013143532&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item48e37f79ba:g:QVkAAOSwngBeljgj

I will post a good cheap one too. Hold up. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTOOL-X1-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-AC-DC-Mini-Resistance-US/333521852362?epid=12037044698&hash=item4da77397ca:g:WcMAAOSwQY9eT1M9

This meter reads dc current, ac current. Ohms, dc voltage, ac voltage and temperature. Clamp meters, no matter the brand, even fluke, only read to the tenths though, not like dmm’s that read to the hundredth. Mustool is a good cheap brand. I know from experience with their other meters.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

10 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MUSTOOL-X1-Digital-Clamp-Meter-Multimeter-Handheld-RMS-AC-DC-Mini-Resistance-US/333521852362?epid=12037044698&hash=item4da77397ca:g:WcMAAOSwQY9eT1M9

This meter reads dc current, ac current. Ohms, dc voltage, ac voltage and temperature. Clamp meters, no matter the brand, even fluke, only read to the tenths though, not like dmm’s that read to the hundredth. Mustool is a good cheap brand. I know from experience with their other meters.

Hey Giga, that does some cool stuff, and the price is right. Thank you very much for that link. I think I'm going to buy this... However, will it show me minimum voltage dips ??? Again, this is what matters most to me right now. Because like I say, if I knew that quick bass hits were causing my voltage to dip (even for a micro second) much below 13 volts, then that is going to be the push I need, to go through the expense, and hassle, of buying and installing the super ...or ultra capacitors (wish they would just choose one, or the other). And if I don't do that, then maybe I'll just go on and get another battery... or two :) 

Archived