Sonic Electronix

Max clean output of my deck ???

31 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Check out the smd tool map in my signature. Look up your location and contact some people close to you. Might need to throw some gas money there way but most people will gladly help a fellow bass head. I know I would 🤷‍♂️

TY. Good idea. I'll try that 🙂

I'll concede you can use 1khz as a quick and dirty check.

Standard set all EQs to flat, crossovers off, etc.

Turn your amps down so they won't be the source of distortion

And well... Slowly turn the volume up. You'll hear a pretty distinct click-to-click transition if it distorts in any way. If you have loud mids... This bit kind of sucks since I've found ear plugs make it harder to hear the nuances. If anyone says you can't hear distortion off a 1k sine wave, I'll challenge you on that with a DD-1 in hand. Blind tests. Loser buys drinks, and I got the blood of the Irish in me, make sure that wallet is full ;)

Knock it down 2-3 clicks from where you are as it's far more difficult to detect distortion in the lower ranges e.g. 40hz. It'll give a safety margin.

Not ideal, but better than a guessing in the absence of appropriate tools. And this method won't work well if you are using sub out AND the internal amp on the deck. You'd want some means of checking the rca outputs too in this case.

6 hours ago, SnowDrifter said:

I'll concede you can use 1khz as a quick and dirty check.

Standard set all EQs to flat, crossovers off, etc.

Turn your amps down so they won't be the source of distortion

And well... Slowly turn the volume up. You'll hear a pretty distinct click-to-click transition if it distorts in any way. If you have loud mids... This bit kind of sucks since I've found ear plugs make it harder to hear the nuances. If anyone says you can't hear distortion off a 1k sine wave, I'll challenge you on that with a DD-1 in hand. Blind tests. Loser buys drinks, and I got the blood of the Irish in me, make sure that wallet is full ;)

Knock it down 2-3 clicks from where you are as it's far more difficult to detect distortion in the lower ranges e.g. 40hz. It'll give a safety margin.

Not ideal, but better than a guessing in the absence of appropriate tools. And this method won't work well if you are using sub out AND the internal amp on the deck. You'd want some means of checking the rca outputs too in this case.

I’d take you up on that. Not because I think you are wrong about the clipping, but I’d bet other distortion would set the dd-1 off before it gets to clipping. Right or wrong it would be worth a few beers.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Keep in mind if your using the internal amplifier of ANY radio that it will reach distortion long before any preouts will.

For example most Alpine decks are clean all the way up to max volume (35) on the rca outputs, but the internal amplifier IF being used will distort at volume 23-25 iirc.

audiofanaticz is right.  i have an Alpine 9887, the RCA outs dont clip at full volume.  but the internal amp clips at volume 21 out of 35

i have an oscilloscope, scoped it myself

Alpine 9887, Oz 180CS, RF R500X1D, 12" RE SE

1 hour ago, nauc said:

audiofanaticz is right.  i have an Alpine 9887, the RCA outs dont clip at full volume.  but the internal amp clips at volume 21 out of 35

i have an oscilloscope, scoped it myself

That would great. It would it easy top just max out your HU volume, with no concern of clipping, then start tuning from there. Used to love my old Alpines.

Archived