Second Skin Audio

Building a box

I was looking for some direction on building a subwoofer box. I have a Sundown SA15 running on 2k rms. It's going in a yukon. I would like to use an aeroport but I am having trouble figuring out the sizing. Also how big of box should I build? I know bigger is better to a point. I would like to tune it low. Thanks in advance. 

Hey Josh, a good place to start would be to give Sundown a call. Tell them the subwoofer you have, and the vehicle and space you have to put it in. For a simple tuned port enclosure, all you really need is the cubic footage, and the port size, length and diameter.

If you have a good table saw, that's cool. But if not, just find a specialty hard wood place to cut it for you. Or second best, a regular lumber yard. DO NOT try to have a Home Depot or Lowe's cut it for you. Oh, 3/4" MDF. Bam. Easy peasy 🙂

1 hour ago, Joshua423 said:

Thank you sir

Like the name 👍

Feel free to come back with what sundown told you for an enclosure if you want any help building or designing. Tons of members have ran Aeros that could help, I’ve only ran slotted so cant help there as much. 

My personal opinion about aero ports.... They look cool. I've heard they can help reduce port noise, but as long as your port is big enough, you shouldn't vhave any port noise anyway.

You can also make your own flared ports. I made these with 6" riser tube, then heated the edge with a heat gun. Then forced it down over a bowling ball 🙂

IMG_20200104_132255.jpg

IMG_20200105_143037.jpg

Aeroports are more efficient than any other shape port, and in return you can get by with less port area than a normal port.

A round port has less surface area than a square or rectangular port with the same port area, and this results in less surface tension when the air moves over the port.

Archived