How do you decide on 6.5's?

badandyturbo

Ok so I am in the market for new speakers in my new car. How does one decide on what brand and model to choose?

There are a hundred different choices. I can go to my local audio shop an listen to one or two on the wall but none are powered by my amp.

I can watch youtube videos and read on the forums but I still don't know what they sound like.

My budget is $500 for the fronts and $300 for the rears. I will be powering them by a TRU Technologies 4-channel.

2013 Tahoe PPV

Pioneer

XS Power

Tru Technologies

Digital Designs

Precision Power

I run Alpine Type R 6.5’s , been running them for all my cars , rated 100-150 RMS and I give them more and they sound better the more I give them. When I first got them ran them on 80 watts and thought they sucked but once I put real power to them they opened up and had me sold for life. I’m sure there’s better stuff out there but I have never been let down by Type R series so that’s what I always recommend because I know they back up there quality.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

22 hours ago, badandyturbo said:

Ok so I am in the market for new speakers in my new car. How does one decide on what brand and model to choose?

There are a hundred different choices. I can go to my local audio shop an listen to one or two on the wall but none are powered by my amp.

I can watch youtube videos and read on the forums but I still don't know what they sound like.

My budget is $500 for the fronts and $300 for the rears. I will be powering them by a TRU Technologies 4-channel.

I'm wondering this same thing. What do you want to look at in the specs of a speaker that will tell you if it sounds good or not, or if this speaker will get a cleaner, full range sound than that speaker.... always was curious of that

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Look for high decibel sensitivity (89db or more, the higher the better, less chance of distortion. But often you see cheap crappy midranges with a high 94-96db sensitivity rating and they sound like shit, that’s because the Qes and Qts is real high), a wide frequency range (like 50hz to 4000 or more hertz, the tweeters will handle the frequencies above that.) and a Qms above 3. A Qts and Qes around 0.35-0.55. Make sure the fs is close to the lowest frequency of the response. Sometimes it’s lower if the lowest frequency response isn’t below 100hz and is like 150hz or something and in that case, it’s ok. But those midrange drivers are meant to pair with mid bass drivers that pick up the slack in between those midranges and the subwoofers. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 5/23/2020 at 8:24 PM, 1point21gigawatts said:

Look for high decibel sensitivity (89db or more, the higher the better, less chance of distortion. But often you see cheap crappy midranges with a high 94-96db sensitivity rating and they sound like shit, that’s because the Qes and Qts is real high), a wide frequency range (like 50hz to 4000 or more hertz, the tweeters will handle the frequencies above that.) and a Qms above 3. A Qts and Qes around 0.35-0.55. Make sure the fs is close to the lowest frequency of the response. Sometimes it’s lower if the lowest frequency response isn’t below 100hz and is like 150hz or something and in that case, it’s ok. But those midrange drivers are meant to pair with mid bass drivers that pick up the slack in between those midranges and the subwoofers. 

Cool thanks for the info. Any recommendations? 

2013 Tahoe PPV

Pioneer

XS Power

Tru Technologies

Digital Designs

Precision Power

2 hours ago, badandyturbo said:

Cool thanks for the info. Any recommendations? 

Go to https://www.parts-express.com/ and look up Morel, PRV, Eminence, B&C, or Timpano Audio for tweeters and midranges. Make sure you get some tweeters too. And when it comes to the midranges, 6.5s and 6s are the same thing. Screen shot and post what you find on this thread so we can make sure.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

uh 6 and 6.5 arent the same thing ones 6"  and depending on company a 6.5 can be 6.5 to 6.75 and if hes running rears hes going to be better off with a component set and if he decides not to hes going to have to get a dsp to run active some nice morels and hertz and focal components fall in your price range ... whats spec on that amp? 

Archived