Headunit Max Volume RCA s question

I have a Sony WX 900bt and I'm  using a little cheap  O scope  to find max volume. I have everything set to 0 except for bass boost its set to +10 and it clips at volume 48 out of 50. Ok great but I put bass boost on to lvl 2 (the max "loudness") and I don't see clipping even at full  volume. Is  that correct? or am I doing something wrong? Does loudness change  the frequency of the boost perhaps to make it not clip? using a -10db 40 hz, also used a 0db 40 hz with similar results. Any suggestions or recommendations? I see posts saying to use - 10 db track others -5 or even 0 so not sure what to go  with. I know I'll test and find the sweet spot  but where should begin. I listen to  a lot  of bass heavy music some rebassed too. Well, a bit of everything from  spanish, death metal, pop etc..

Thanks !!

33 minutes ago, Derp said:

I have a Sony WX 900bt and I'm  using a little cheap  O scope  to find max volume. I have everything set to 0 except for bass boost its set to +10 and it clips at volume 48 out of 50. Ok great but I put bass boost on to lvl 2 (the max "loudness") and I don't see clipping even at full  volume. Is  that correct? or am I doing something wrong? Does loudness change  the frequency of the boost perhaps to make it not clip? using a -10db 40 hz, also used a 0db 40 hz with similar results. Any suggestions or recommendations? I see posts saying to use - 10 db track others -5 or even 0 so not sure what to go  with. I know I'll test and find the sweet spot  but where should begin. I listen to  a lot  of bass heavy music some rebassed too. Well, a bit of everything from  spanish, death metal, pop etc..

Thanks !!

First off... please never use bass boost.

When you want to determine the clipping point of your head unit you want the exact source volume, hence why you use a 0db 40 or 1000 hz tone. (Give a read of the dd1 manual even though you don’t own it to better understand why). 

Once you have determined the clip point of your radio you can then tune at your amp with anywhere from a source level 0db tune to a -5 or -10db time (-15 is usually too much). The reason why you use a -5 or -10 dB track to tune your amp is that way you can put your radio to its maximum clean signal output and tune your amp to match it except this time with a signal source that is recorded at a lower level, allowing you to increase gains beyond just a 0db track would. (Gain overlap essentially, has a whole post on the forum). 

Now if you decide hey I wanna mess with the eq settings you will need to retune everything if it pertains to that speaker. Changing a 1000hz eq band won’t effect your subwoofer playing 100hz and down... but changing an eq band at the 80hz point will so be mindful of any bass boost or eq settings you apply before and especially after you tune as they can throw off your distortion points (or clipping points).

I would tune with a -5db 40hz track first and play your popular music. If you want more out of it try the -10db 40hz track. Just pay attention to the sub, if you hear, smell or see it doing something it shouldn’t you might need to dial it down a bit. Sorry for long winded response but there’s a bit to it 😂🤷‍♂️ Takes a minute to grasp it but you’ll get there

11 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

First off... please never use bass boost.

When you want to determine the clipping point of ..........

Thanks !! Exactly what I wanted to know!  I'll also read the manual.                    

Archived