Second Skin Audio

Old Timer in need of help

d luv

1 minute ago, d luv said:

Ok in the other post you mentioned a design and cut sheet, do you have something you would recommend? He won’t be competing or anything just wants more out of his daily driver. 

Can you fit a larger box? The prefab is kinda small to begin with. Each w7 calls for 1.75" net cubic feet. Bare minimum of 3" net to support both unless you got gobs of power... 

1 minute ago, Joshdashef said:

Can you fit a larger box? The prefab is kinda small to begin with. Each w7 calls for 1.75" net cubic feet. Bare minimum of 3" net to support both unless you got gobs of power... 

I know his main concern is adding depth and taking up more cargo space. Without measuring he would for sure be able to add 6” width to another box with fitment issues. 

19 minutes ago, d luv said:

He listens to mostly rap (no idea who) but also some older rock (Pantera/Rage Against the Machine). I know I have a sheet of MDF in my garage rafters, 1” thick. 

After reading specifications of the subwoofer and current enclosure there is nothing that can be done concerning that current enclosure. Lowering the frequency won’t help the problem because JLs don’t like lower tuning anyways. The fact that the port area is suppose to be 50.5 sq” and the current enclosure’s port area is about 32.5 sq” lessens output. And the biggest and number one problem that of affecting the bass the most is that enclosure has a net volume of .4 cubic feet on each side and after subwoofer displacement that would be about .25 cubic feet of net volume which will make even the best subwoofer sound like something is wrong. There will be no low sound, no deep sounds, and it won’t get that loud. That subwoofer needs 1.75 cubic feet per subwoofer in net volume after all displacements and 25.25 sq” of port area. So 3.5 cubic feet to house both subwoofers and 50.5 sq” of port area. Right now that enclosure is yielding about 0.5 cubic foot of net volume and a port area of 32.5 sq”. That enclosure would sound like shit no matter what it were tuned to. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 minute ago, d luv said:

I know his main concern is adding depth and taking up more cargo space. Without measuring he would for sure be able to add 6” width to another box with fitment issues. 

He can fit the correct size enclosure in an explorer. No problem and still have a bunch of room. 

Just now, d luv said:

How about

14.5 H x 30 W x 20 D? Alternatively, 14.5 H x 35 W x 17.25 D will also yield the same net volume

The prefab said it was 

13.25 H x 30 W x 17.25 D

Just now, 1point21gigawatts said:

Of course he can fit the correct size enclosure in an explorer. 

Ok I’m sorry to keep being a pain in the ass. If you had to recommend a box build while trying to conserve cargo space what would you suggest? 

15 minutes ago, d luv said:

Ok in the other post you mentioned a design and cut sheet, do you have something you would recommend? He won’t be competing or anything just wants more out of his daily driver. 

I can design it if you can build it.

2 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

How about

14.5 H x 30 W x 20 D? Alternatively, 14.5 H x 35 W x 17.25 D will also yield the same net volume

The prefab said it was 

13.25 H x 30 W x 17.25 D

I am open to all suggestions as I am good with working and constructing wood, but have never built a speaker box so I am a total newbie when it comes to the design aspect.

8 minutes ago, d luv said:

Ok I’m sorry to keep being a pain in the ass. If you had to recommend a box build while trying to conserve cargo space what would you suggest? 

My bad. I didn’t mean to be a smart ass or condescending. You’re fine. I’m just irritated. It isn’t you, nor this thread or anybody on it. I do apologize though. Let me google the cargo measurements and I’ll design you an enclosure that will make him happy. I will stick to recommended specifications. Nothing crazy. 

Archived