Think I'm getting a new HU, your thoughts ?

16 minutes ago, bmwking said:

I haven't tried to change tracks on anything else, only ever had the ssd hooked up to it.  There's a noticeable lag every few tracks. But it's nothing to make me want to get rid of it.

Also, not sure if it's just mine since I bought it used, maybe brand new ones are snappier.

Is it their most recent design?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The pioneer deh-80prs is the way to go. It’s the most popular and go to head unit in the game right now. Forget touchscreen head units and focus on audio capabilities and sound quality  

Hey Gig, I was just checking out that deh, and it looks really solid. Only two things, if I don't get a double din, I'm going to have a lot of empty goofy space...

But the real deal breaker is, I've heard that any HU with over 4 volt outputs, is going to make all kinds of noise when used with my Dayton 408 processor.

I use a pioneer avh-600ex, no lag with SSD or even a conventional 320gb HDD. No laggy buttons or hard to see screen. I just got my gf a JVC 25bt and even a 64gb low profile flash ( think it's a class 10) is slow to load and laggy to search. Controls are a bit slow and lags between functions. It's her first touchscreen and she didn't want one if it WASNT A JVC lol...she made that very very clear lol. I think the unit is junk even though it has time delay, network mode, and dsp built in. I do like the touch screen functions, swipe right or left for track skip,and clockwise or ccw with finger for volume. Like nite and day performance compared to my pioneer but she's happy, for now. Long story short, can't go wrong with a pioneer!

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

3 hours ago, ehall8702 said:

I use a pioneer avh-600ex, no lag with SSD or even a conventional 320gb HDD. No laggy buttons or hard to see screen. I just got my gf a JVC 25bt and even a 64gb low profile flash ( think it's a class 10) is slow to load and laggy to search. Controls are a bit slow and lags between functions. It's her first touchscreen and she didn't want one if it WASNT A JVC lol...she made that very very clear lol. I think the unit is junk even though it has time delay, network mode, and dsp built in. I do like the touch screen functions, swipe right or left for track skip,and clockwise or ccw with finger for volume. Like nite and day performance compared to my pioneer but she's happy, for now. Long story short, can't go wrong with a pioneer!

TY Ehaul. Yea, I'm pretty anxious to order my Pioneer 2660.

Something I hadn't mentioned... I've been having a problem with my Kenwood for a long time... A known problem that is supposed to be fixable with a software update, but 3 calls to Kenwood, following step by step instructions, and nobody could figure out why my unit won't update :(

Basically it affects the volume (voltage) out put. So not only is my volume control not even close to linear... 30 is not loud for shit, and 31 is crazy loud, and trying to clip...Sometimes. But also, if I have my bass boost at the HU, and the amp, turned all the way down, and my bass knob at zero, I have to set my sub amp gain to like 95% ! Which obviously is not right.

but rather than beat myself up trying to fix that, I'm just going to put in the new HU, and I'm 95% sure that will fix all of those issues.

1 hour ago, fishchris1 said:

TY Ehaul. Yea, I'm pretty anxious to order my Pioneer 2660.

Something I hadn't mentioned... I've been having a problem with my Kenwood for a long time... A known problem that is supposed to be fixable with a software update, but 3 calls to Kenwood, following step by step instructions, and nobody could figure out why my unit won't update :(

Basically it affects the volume (voltage) out put. So not only is my volume control not even close to linear... 30 is not loud for shit, and 31 is crazy loud, and trying to clip...Sometimes. But also, if I have my bass boost at the HU, and the amp, turned all the way down, and my bass knob at zero, I have to set my sub amp gain to like 95% ! Which obviously is not right.

but rather than beat myself up trying to fix that, I'm just going to put in the new HU, and I'm 95% sure that will fix all of those issues.

im sure you've been told or have the info, but when doing updates you have to either have the parking brake wired up and engaged, or a bypass installed.  otherwise the unit won't update because it thinks the vehicle is in motion

17 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Hey Gig, I was just checking out that deh, and it looks really solid. Only two things, if I don't get a double din, I'm going to have a lot of empty goofy space...

But the real deal breaker is, I've heard that any HU with over 4 volt outputs, is going to make all kinds of noise when used with my Dayton 408 processor.

That’s not true. 

Kenwood excelon has top notch head units too. And their double dins are bad ass. I run a kenwood excelon and it’s the shit. But today it lagged for the first time. I think I brought that on myself from posting on this thread lol! But people I know have 80prs and they speak so highly of it. I’ve been in their vehicles and it sounds really good and the clarity is top notch. But my excelon sounds like sex on the beach too. But the 80prs can do way more. 

@fishchris1 and if I’m not mistaken, I think the 80prs has a built in dsp. And I know it has a 3 way network mode when it comes to crossovers, which is bad ass. And the EQs can be set per side, 16 bands each side, which is also bad ass. 

5 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

@fishchris1 and if I’m not mistaken, I think the 80prs has a built in dsp. And I know it has a 3 way network mode when it comes to crossovers, which is bad ass. And the EQs can be set per side, 16 bands each side, which is also bad ass. 

Bro, you don't know how torn I am ! I know that is a really awesome  HU.... but like I say, I've found that a lot of Dayton 408 users have reported  problems with HU's of 5 volts or higher.... Plus, the backup camera option (which coincidentally, I came about an inch from backing in to BMW SUV yesterday)

Besides all this, I think ANY new HU is going to improve my system like night and day, as I've had issues with my current Kenwood HU for a long time..... which became even more obvious this morning when I turned all my bass boost controls down to zero  (on the HU and my amp) and then had to set my amp gain to like 95%, which obviously is a problem. Honestly, I think my HU output is way lower than it should be from 1-30, then, once it gets to 31 - 35 it jumps up WAY loud..... to about what you would expect with the gain set to 95%.... Stupid. Can't wait to get that POS out of there, and replaced with something that functions properly. 

Amazing it can sound as good as it does, when I work around these issues.

Archived