Second Skin Audio

What woofer to put into Gatley Production Box ***

And you have to understand that that port on that enclosure has an area of 22 sq”. The height of the enclosure is 14.75”. It’s made out of 1” birch. So the port is 12.75” in height. So to find the width of the port so you can find out port velocity you divide 22/12.75 which equals 1.725” of port width. Dived that in half to find the radius of the port and that is .86” and then use that figure and the the tuning of 35hz to figure out how much rms that enclosure can handle before the velocity is too high and creates port noise. So anything over 250 rms will create more than 30 meters per second of velocity and create port noise in that enclosure. I always stay below 25 m/s but I’ve heard of people having no problems with 25-30 m/s. So if you want a system bigger than 250 rms then that enclosure isn’t for you. And idc what Gately says, I know mathematics like Einstein on Adderall. Lol! And remember, when talking to somebody that makes and sells something, know that they want you to buy it. Don’t buy the bs.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ron36 said:

I’m waiting to see where this goes never seen anyone build a system like this , Good TV

I've seen builds around a specific sub, or a specific wattage, or just the amount of space available. But never a specific premade box......

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

27 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

And you have to understand that that port on that enclosure has an area of 22 sq”. The height of the enclosure is 14.75”. It’s made out of 1” birch. So the port is 12.75” in height. So to find the width of the port so you can find out port velocity you divide 22/12.75 which equals 1.725” of port width. Dived that in half to find the radius of the port and that is .86” and then use that figure and the the tuning of 35hz to figure out how much rms that enclosure can handle before the velocity is too high and creates port noise. So anything over 250 rms will create more than 30 meters per second of velocity and create port noise in that enclosure. I always stay below 25 m/s but I’ve heard of people having no problems with 25-30 m/s. So if you want a system bigger than 250 rms then that enclosure isn’t for you. And idc what Gately says, I know mathematics like Einstein on Adderall. Lol! And remember, when talking to somebody that makes and sells something, know that they want you to buy it. Don’t buy the bs.

Does the kerf designed port make any difference when it comes to the math? Just curious

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

44 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Does the kerf designed port make any difference when it comes to the math? Just curious

Add half the length of the kerf to the port length. That’s the only difference. I’ve also heard because of the science behind it that it helps against port noise at a higher velocity that a regular port would normally have port noise, figuring both ports and enclosures are identical except for the kerf being the only difference. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

lol, I have purchased some cdt 6.5 for the front and rear of the jeep, nothing else has been purchased. And as far as knowing what rms I want to run, well I have no clue, wouldnt be on here asking newbi questions if I knew, been a long time sense I purchased audio equipment... I have no clue what the sundown sa's would require but open to running them... I did also purchase an upgraded alternator, looking for battery and wire etc as we speak... Open to any comments or assistance, old man over here, and have no clue what I am doing..lol

Archived