Super cap under the hood?

So I have plans to run a limitless 45ah in the back.. The original plan was to completely delete the battery under hood since I shouldn't run lithium under the hood since it's too hot, and I shouldn't mix AGM and lithium together. So instead of completely deleting the battery under the hood, what about running a super cap under the hood? 

https://limitlesslithium.com/limitless-super-cap-battery/

Is this safe to have under the hood and run with a limitless 45ah in the back? Alt will be a mechman 370

16 minutes ago, bismofunyuns said:

So I have plans to run a limitless 45ah in the back.. The original plan was to completely delete the battery under hood since I shouldn't run lithium under the hood since it's too hot, and I shouldn't mix AGM and lithium together. So instead of completely deleting the battery under the hood, what about running a super cap under the hood? 

https://limitlesslithium.com/limitless-super-cap-battery/

Is this safe to have under the hood and run with a limitless 45ah in the back? Alt will be a mechman 370

Yes 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Just make a distribution block where your under hood battery would have been and run the caps closest to the amplifier, so Alt > under hood distribution > lithium > supercaps > amplifier. 

Yep. The closest to the amp a bank of caps is, the better. I don’t see why you don’t just delete the front battery and run the lithium and caps in the rear. And don’t spend $500+ on a bank of caps that just has a case around it. Pay $299 for a bank of 6 capacitors. It’s the same thing, you’re just not paying over $200 for a case around the caps and some terminals. That’s crazy. Just buy the exact same thing that’s inside it. Here’s the post. 
https://limitlesslithium.com/limitless-super-caps-2-7v-3000f-bank-of-6/

Right now most of the limitless lithium products are on back order. But I have a bank of caps that I bought 3 weeks ago and never used and I already talked to them Friday and I was planning on returning them tomorrow. Let me know and I can sell to you instead. Same price. $299. I’m only returning them because I’m gonna be running 80ah of lithium instead and on the set up I’m doing, I’m most likely not gonna drop below 14, ever. So I don’t need caps. And I need the money so I can buy this expensive ass lithium I want. 

3 hours ago, bismofunyuns said:

Simple enough. Is there any precautions with this? Should a special charger be used on a super cap? What if the car needs jumped etc? How reliable is this in a daily driver

I highly recommend taking your time to understand how to wire these in your car safely. These are not a toy, but a tool, use your brain and stay safe - electricity can hurt you. You can think of super caps as a wide pipe with water in it, while AGMs are a barrel with a hole in it. 

If a lithium battery, since you said you are running a limitless lithium 45ah, were to not be able to crank your car over you have more problems than a jump start could fix. You need to remove the lithium battery and charge with a lithium compatible charger. These lithium cells will swell up if they see too much charging current at one time, this is why the different ah levels of limitless lithium have that little disclaimer saying 300a of available charging on the 45ah and 100a on the 15 ah

To charge super caps you need a resister to impede the amperage the super caps will see when being brought up to the voltage of your systems. XS power uses a light bulb to do just that but there are other options.

31 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I highly recommend taking your time to understand how to wire these in your car safely. These are not a toy, but a tool, use your brain and stay safe - electricity can hurt you. You can think of super caps as a wide pipe with water in it, while AGMs are a barrel with a hole in it. 

If a lithium battery, since you said you are running a limitless lithium 45ah, were to not be able to crank your car over you have more problems than a jump start could fix. You need to remove the lithium battery and charge with a lithium compatible charger. These lithium cells will swell up if they see too much charging current at one time, this is why the different ah levels of limitless lithium have that little disclaimer saying 300a of available charging on the 45ah and 100a on the 15 ah

To charge super caps you need a resister to impede the amperage the super caps will see when being brought up to the voltage of your systems. XS power uses a light bulb to do just that but there are other options.

To charge super caps all he needs to do is check the resting voltage of his battery and then hook up a dmm to the bank, positive and negative, charge the caps by grounding them to a charger and taping the positive post until the dmm reads the same voltage as the resting voltage of his battery. That’s it. Nothing else. And the charger can be set on any setting as long as it’s a 12v setting. It could be on standard, agm, lithium or whatever charge setting. That’s piece of information about it can be charged on any setting was something I didn’t know that Matt at limitless told me. But it makes sense since caps charge sooo quickly. The only reason he has to match the voltage as close as possible is to prevent that first contact firework show if the voltage is too far off from each other. He doesn’t need to waste his money buy premade superbanks in a battery case that come with a indication bulb. That’s a waste of money and doing too much when not needed. And that alternator charging instructions limitless says on their lithium batteries has nothing to do with caps, no relevance or comparison. Caps are completely different. They work in a whole different chemistry.

4 hours ago, bismofunyuns said:

Simple enough. Is there any precautions with this? Should a special charger be used on a super cap? What if the car needs jumped etc? How reliable is this in a daily driver

I think at this point I’m just going to delete the battery completely. I’ve drawn up a diagram of how I think I should wire it.

3 runs alt>distribution positive>fuse>lithium positive

3 runs alt frame bolt>under hood ground

3 runs under hood ground> distribution negative

3 runs distribution negative>lithium negative

3 runs lithium negative> rear chassis ground

then I could just connect the starter/accessories wires that come off the stock battery onto the new distribution blocks right?

Diagram picture: ylbh2EQ.jpg

I’ve drawn like 4 of these but I want to make sure because my next purchases is going to be wiring and a new alternator. 

Archived