Super cap under the hood?

9 minutes ago, bismofunyuns said:

I think at this point I’m just going to delete the battery completely. I’ve drawn up a diagram of how I think I should wire it.

3 runs alt>distribution positive>fuse>lithium positive

3 runs alt frame bolt>under hood ground

3 runs under hood ground> distribution negative

3 runs distribution negative>lithium negative

3 runs lithium negative> rear chassis ground

then I could just connect the starter/accessories wires that come off the stock battery onto the new distribution blocks right?

Diagram picture: ylbh2EQ.jpg

I’ve drawn like 4 of these but I want to make sure because my next purchases is going to be wiring and a new alternator. 

Looks good to me just fuse the wires coming out of the alternator as well as right before the lithium battery and your set. They make fused distribution blocks if you want a cleaner look but they can get expensive.

Treat the distribution block as a battery so connect factory harnesses or anything to their respective ones just like you would a battery terminal :) 

• 8 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:07 PM, bismofunyuns said:

I think at this point I’m just going to delete the battery completely. I’ve drawn up a diagram of how I think I should wire it.

then I could just connect the starter/accessories wires that come off the stock battery onto the new distribution blocks right?

I’ve drawn like 4 of these but I want to make sure because my next purchases is going to be wiring and a new alternator.

For current builds: Imo a fuse bock ought to be used instead of a distribution block where the deleted batt is. (I don't care what others have done, doesn't mean it's right. E.g. smoking ciggs). This way there will be a group of fuses on both ends of the long power wire run. This is why is it suggested to fuse the alt power wires when there is a front battery.. protecting the alt from burning up imo. Can't hurt as long as I use fuses slightly larger than the peak amperage my 8Ks will ever draw at any point. 

On 5/25/2020 at 9:07 PM, bismofunyuns said:

For current builds: Imo a fuse bock ought to be used instead of a distribution block where the deleted batt is. (I don't care what others have done, doesn't mean it's right. E.g. smoking ciggs). This way there will be a group of fuses on both ends of the long power wire run. This is why is it suggested to fuse the alt power wires when there is a front battery.. protecting the alt from burning up imo. Can't hurt as long as I use fuses slightly larger than the peak amperage my 8Ks will ever draw at any point. And for any build needing more than one alt power wire, then it's smarter to not rely solely on the frame to be your only ground. I always run separate ground wires of the same size and same # as power wires I have, in addition to grounding to frame >> to protect amps which is another important topic, but for another day.

Archived