2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

But if they are over powering his mids then that might tell you that you should get some more subtle tweeters like those silk tweeters. That means the fabric probably isn’t as flexible as silk. So now that I’m thinking. I would go with them tweeters from parts express.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I do like that them tweeters are neo and have a dome constructed like that. Those would sound good. But I wish I knew the material of the fabric so I could know more about the sound.

Yeah, it just says fabric everywhere, not exactly what the fabric is. 

Which tweeters are you leaning towards?

I was leaning towards these 🤣

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/diamond-dome-tweeters/seas-excel-t29d001-diamond-dome-tweeter-matched-pair/

You could do them tweeters in parallel at 1.5 ohms and tune them tweeters on a 0db tone and you would be fine. I like those tweeters more than the 2 you picked out.

Ok. I like those ones too, but like I said, I didn't put them on the list because I thought the power handling might not be enough. You guys say it'll be fine, I'm with you. 

Being down to 1.5 ish won't put the amp into protect will it if it sees less than 2 ohm? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

But if they are over powering his mids then that might tell you that you should get some more subtle tweeters like those silk tweeters. That means the fabric probably isn’t as flexible as silk. So now that I’m thinking. I would go with them tweeters from parts express.

I just read that, passed by it on accident I guess. 

So, you like the Dynavox tweets over the scanspeak tweets? From what I've read, tweeters made from silk, textile (which I'm assuming is a generic term for fabric.... which is a generic term itself) and poly produce the warmer, smoother sound. I've only personally heard silk, aluminum and titanium tweets and in my opinion, the silk tweets where miles better sounding than the other 2. 

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The dynavox tweeters are the ones I would recommend after assessing the other options and input and knowing what kind of sound you like.

Dude, you have no idea how much sleep you've just saved me by helping me pick out mids and highs. Literally, no joke, I wake up in the middle of the night, then stay awake, trying to sleep, but all I can do is worry about if my choice will be the right one. Thank you dude! 

Now all the thought process is completely done (or at least until I learn I was wrong about something else lol)! All that's left is buying this shit (about 3-4 more G's 😬) and finally.... FINALLY get to start installing! Thanks to everyone whose helped! Big thanks to @1point21gigawattswho has really always a minute to help...I can't tell you how many times. 

More to come hopefully soon

18 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Dude, you have no idea how much sleep you've just saved me by helping me pick out mids and highs. Literally, no joke, I wake up in the middle of the night, then stay awake, trying to sleep, but all I can do is worry about if my choice will be the right one. Thank you dude! 

Now all the thought process is completely done (or at least until I learn I was wrong about something else lol)! All that's left is buying this shit (about 3-4 more G's 😬) and finally.... FINALLY get to start installing! Thanks to everyone whose helped! Big thanks to @1point21gigawattswho has really always a minute to help...I can't tell you how many times. 

More to come hopefully soon

You are welcome!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

• 4 months later...

Wow, you have invested a ton of thought, time, planning and money into this build!  The build you are taking out is pretty unique (at least to me).  I've not seen a build with a "fake" seat hiding the amp rack/subs.  A great strategy for keeping looky-loos from coveting your build (I always wince when I hear that somebody got smash-and-grabbed)

It's been a few months since the last update, how are things coming along?  Were you able to get the truck in to have the camper installed?  Have you pulled the old system or started the build on the new one?

Can't wait to see how it's coming along...

9 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

Wow, you have invested a ton of thought, time, planning and money into this build!  The build you are taking out is pretty unique (at least to me).  I've not seen a build with a "fake" seat hiding the amp rack/subs.  A great strategy for keeping looky-loos from coveting your build (I always wince when I hear that somebody got smash-and-grabbed)

It's been a few months since the last update, how are things coming along?  Were you able to get the truck in to have the camper installed?  Have you pulled the old system or started the build on the new one?

Can't wait to see how it's coming along...

I had my old system built the be somewhat hidden because I lived in kind of a crappy area. It turned out nice, sounded decent, but I want to put my backseat back in, so I ripped all that out and figured, why not upgrade? And when I really want to slap, I'll remove the back seat and go nuts. 

I stopped posting because I was just buying stuff and hadn't gotten to start. Since then, I was finally able to do the battery delete under the hood 2 weekend's ago. I hit a little bit of a road block when I found out my truck has a regulated voltage system. @1point21gigawattsand I put our heads together and planned out how to properly ground everything. He's been a huge help throughout this whole thing! Needless to say, the old system was not grounded properly at all in dealing with the VRC, so I'm guessing that's one of the main reasons my batteries didn't last long in the old system. 

Since my last post, I've bought a couple more things. 150' of 12 awg Knukoncepts speaker wire, a Cresendo C2000.4D for the 8" mids, 8 B&C 8BG51 8" mids and 8 Dynavox TD2801XL 1 1/8" silk dome tweeters, some cheap NVX deadener (I think probably the same stuff you used) and some other odds and ends. 

This weekend I hope to be able to get at least most of the deadening done (I'll start posting again then). Then it's off to get the shell put on. It's going to be a long journey! It's hard for me to find time to work on the truck. The family and work have to come 1 and 2 before the system (3). So in reality I can only work on it on the weekends, and really only for a few hours a day. It is what it is. I want to take my time anyway and do it right the first time. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want it to look like shit either. The goal is to get it done by the end of summer, but more realistically, before the end of the year. 

Stick with me guys, it might take forever, but it'll get done lol! 

• 4 weeks later...

This is how slow this build is going....I just finished sounds deadening a single door lol. Took me almost a month🤣. I didn't do the whole door because I don't know if anything needs to be cut for my door pods. And yes, I went to the Ray Charles school of applying sound deadening lol

20210622_140858.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

This is how slow this build is going....I just finished sounds deadening a single door lol. Took me almost a month🤣. I didn't do the whole door because I don't know if anything needs to be cut for my door pods. And yes, I went to the Ray Charles school of applying sound deadening lol

20210622_140858.jpg

Ha! Ray Charles school of sound deadening!

Ray Charles GIFs | Tenor

Archived