2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

1 hour ago, Arthur79 said:

Glad to hear that you are knocking out a few hours here and there on the build!  Totally sucks about your thumb, sounds like you damn near cut it off!

Baltic Birch is obscenely high here, the last time I checked prices it was over $146/sheet (4x8 18mm) from the supplier I've been using for a while.  The same supplier has a "light weight" MDF I was thinking about checking out.  Not sure how much lighter it is (they don't have a lot of details like sheet weight) but it peaked my interest.

Can't wait to see pics as you work through the build!

Can't wait to post some interesting pics! Lol. The thumb has definitely slowed me down a little. But it is what it is. The box cutter went straight in luckily (I guess lol) and didn't just widdel a huge chunk off my thumb. But with how deep it went, if I didn't hit the bone, I don't know how I didn't. The cut goes from damn near the top of my thumb to damn near the bottom. Pure dumbassary on my part. 

I'm just going to use MDF on my box because, well let's face it, I'm not very bright🤣 my box is going to weigh way too much but whatever. I've always used MDF and I'm afraid of change. 

I always say this, hopefully it happens soon, I need to finish deadening my last rear door. Shouldn't take me more than a half hour. I'm almost done already. Then I want to pull apart my dashboard because I have 2 Memphis bullet tweeters mounted I want to remove. Then remove all the speaker wire or of the truck. Make an appointment to go to the shop. Then off to get the shell! Then the fun starts. The goal is to at least get the appointment set before the end of the month. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished sound deadening my last rear door. I think it looks a lot better than the first front door I posted, but it still looks kind of.... meh.... to me. Thinking about maybe when I go to put the speakers in, throwing a second layer on top. We'll see (I probably will lol) 

20210717_152846.jpg

This is how the bullet tweeters where mounted. In my dash, behind those covers. Stock, those where just little cubbies in the dash that in reality where too small and shallow to be useful anyway. I'm removing the bullet tweeters, but I'm going to keep the covers on. As you can see, there are big holes in the back of those cubbies lol. It if sight, or of mind. 

The other pictures are just of the bullet tweeter itself. Memphis Audio Mojo Pro 1.5" tweeter. These things where LOUD! I had to dial back the gain on these things because they where louder than the 4 12" W6's! Holding them, they are little beasts! Heavy! 

20210717_154946.jpg

20210717_155306.jpg

20210717_155314.jpg

20210717_155321.jpg

So, pulling all the wires out, I started following one set of speaker wire that veered off the path of the others. Apparently, the shop put an extra set of Memphis tweeters in my sale panels(I think that's what they're called. The piece that goes up the side of the windshield). I don't think they ever told me that lol

20210717_171931.jpg

On 7/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, Dafaseles said:

Just finished sound deadening my last rear door. I think it looks a lot better than the first front door I posted, but it still looks kind of.... meh.... to me. Thinking about maybe when I go to put the speakers in, throwing a second layer on top. We'll see (I probably will lol) 

20210717_152846.jpg

Your deadening job looks a damn site better than mine LoL You at least deadened the entire door, mine looks like I tried to patch-work 2 doors with a single sheet of deadener LoL.

On 7/17/2021 at 7:27 PM, Dafaseles said:

So, pulling all the wires out, I started following one set of speaker wire that veered off the path of the others. Apparently, the shop put an extra set of Memphis tweeters in my sale panels(I think that's what they're called. The piece that goes up the side of the windshield). I don't think they ever told me that lol

20210717_171931.jpg

Ha!  Free gear brother!  I'm  going to guess you never noticed them in the system with those horns playing.

How's the thumb recovering?  Hopefully it's not killing you too bad during the tear-down.

19 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Your deadening job looks a damn site better than mine LoL You at least deadened the entire door, mine looks like I tried to patch-work 2 doors with a single sheet of deadener LoL.

Trust me, it looks a lot better in the picture than it does in person lol. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it works. 

18 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Ha!  Free gear brother!  I'm  going to guess you never noticed them in the system with those horns playing.

How's the thumb recovering?  Hopefully it's not killing you too bad during the tear-down.

Never noticed them lol. I'm sure they helped at least a little, but yeah, 2 1" silk dome tweeters in each front door, and those bullet tweeters, never knew they where there🤣 I'll give them to a friend or something. 

The thumb hurts, but it's not stopping me. It's Sunday night, I get my stitches out early tomorrow. The wife and I are going to drop the kids off at their grandparents house, go get them removed, then have a little lunch date..... THAT'S NOT GOING TO STOP ME FROM FINISHING DAMNIT! I don't care, by the time I go to bed, I will have the truck interior put back together, and a time and date to go talk about the shell and hopefully them fabricating/ fiberglassing/ installing my door pods. 

P.s.... as strong as I say this, I realize all it takes is for my wife to look at me funny, and it gets pushed back to next weekend🤣

So, went down to the shop today, ordered my shell, and a few other goodies. The shell will be about 12 weeks out, but it is what it is. That's quite some time to wait without anything to do really, but everything is back ordered lately. He can't even get any kenwood or Alpine head units. Only a couple pioneer units. 

Sadly though, they don't fiberglass. So if anyone knows a good fiberglasser in Northern California, holler! I'm a little desperate 🤣

15 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So, went down to the shop today, ordered my shell, and a few other goodies. The shell will be about 12 weeks out, but it is what it is. That's quite some time to wait without anything to do really, but everything is back ordered lately. He can't even get any kenwood or Alpine head units. Only a couple pioneer units. 

Sadly though, they don't fiberglass. So if anyone knows a good fiberglasser in Northern California, holler! I'm a little desperate 🤣

What do you mean by a shell........like a topper?

Archived