2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

1 hour ago, Arthur79 said:

Found this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PBM1C2F

It's 40"x13" and is Aluminum so it would be easy to form, not sure what aesthetic you are going for in the build though...

I just went out to measure what exactly I needed in a speaker grill sheet. It has to at least be 15"×30"for me to get away with doing one solid piece. I think if I can do that, that would be pretty damn dope actually! One big ass speaker grill! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Hell ya man!  I'm glad it helped!

1/4 inch can actually be easier to work with in some ways (it's a little flexible without having to kerf it) but it's impossible to to screw or nail it in any way that would be useful for something like this.  As long as you are planning on reinforcing it with glass or bondo glass (or both) for strength, you could do 1/4 inch and fab it up with CA glue/accelerator and epoxy and I'm sure it would work out.  You might consider 3/8 or 1/2 for the speaker baffle rings so you have some meat for threaded inserts or directly screwing into to mount the 8's.

Yea, as soon as you mentioned the magnets, I remember chatting about that earlier.  I know around here you can get steel expanded diamond grill at the Home store, but the diamond pattern is pretty big.  Maybe throw a magnet in your pocket (or borrow a magnet tool while you're at the depot) and use it to double check that anything they have is actually steel and not something else in the wrong bin LoL.

Kick ass that your cousin is into fabrication, it's always nice to have another set of eyes on a project, especially experienced eyes!

My cousin and I grew up together and that's what we did, we took things apart and, sometimes, we where able to put it back together lol. I always took apart mine (and my mom's that one time 😬) stereo and my cousin.... well.... everything else🤣 hopefully he can find some time. 

I'll take a look around at the depot and see if they have anything. My last post, I mentioned it needs to be a sheet at least 15"×30" for me to get away with 1 sheet.... or maybe I can make it s little smaller and just cover some of the speaker with wood like an accent or something. Got the wheels turning lol. Looks like I'm not sleeping tonight🤣

10 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

Not sure how close this is to your ride, but I thought of your build when it came across my feed:

Thank you bro. My door is a bit different with the handle being underneath my arm rest, but those do look nice! I think I want to attach the wood straight to the metal of the door, then glass onto the plastic. I feel like with the weight of the 8's, it'll help with rigidity and any rattling that might occur. Though there are some good wood working tips in there. At the end, he said he ran into some issues....I wish he mentioned what they where and how they fixed them 🤣 oh well. But it's huge that that video showed how they secured it to the metal. I haven't been able to find that yet. Thank you again! 

• 3 weeks later...

So, the most important piece of the puzzle is installed20210818_184653.thumb.jpg.d06e75217485bcf76ec7b45dc121118e.jpgno more excuses, nothing holding me up. It's time to start building, running wire, and installing. 

Wish me luck.... I'm going to need it

55 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

So, the most important piece of the puzzle is installed20210818_184653.thumb.jpg.d06e75217485bcf76ec7b45dc121118e.jpgno more excuses, nothing holding me up. It's time to start building, running wire, and installing. 

Wish me luck.... I'm going to need it

Hell yea!  That's a good looking camper shell!

6 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Hell yea!  That's a good looking camper shell!

It looks a lot better than I thought it would. That's for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Any word on working with your cousin to fab up the door panels?

I just talked to him. I think I'm actually going to fail by myself on the doors lol. But, he doesn't exactly know when, but he's going to grab the table saw from work and we're going to start on the sub enclosure. 

Got to do a little this weekend. 20210822_172432.thumb.jpg.437bd013f8972d7af35bafde31688ffd.jpgthat's for 2 of the 8"s. I got to cut 2 and a half. I need to cut 4. That's about where the front 2 will sit. A little further away from the door and at a pretty decent angle. The angle will make it so I can still open my glove box with the door closed. 

I've decided to separate the 8's. 2 on one baffle, 2 on another. It'll make it much easier to angle them the way I'd like (so I can open my glove box) and also easier to setup the speaker grill when I get to that step. 

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Got to do a little this weekend. 20210822_172432.thumb.jpg.437bd013f8972d7af35bafde31688ffd.jpgthat's for 2 of the 8"s. I got to cut 2 and a half. I need to cut 4. That's about where the front 2 will sit. A little further away from the door and at a pretty decent angle. The angle will make it so I can still open my glove box with the door closed. 

I've decided to separate the 8's. 2 on one baffle, 2 on another. It'll make it much easier to angle them the way I'd like (so I can open my glove box) and also easier to setup the speaker grill when I get to that step. 

Now that you've gotten started, it's going to be hard to stop! LoL  Can't wait to see once you are in the mockup stage!

Archived