2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

I'm going the easy route and using felt, a short strand fiberglass concoction (it has kind of a chop mat in it already), then bondo. I want to find a way to wrap the 8's in vinyl, and paint the rest, but I don't know how to make the vinyl look like it's supposed to, like with a seam where it ends type deal. I don't know if I'm explaining what I mean very well. 

I think I understand what you mean. Picking up a router and a rabbiting bit will make getting a tuck/seam recess on the back of the boards for the 8s a lot easier.  Also - for the vinyl, it's a PITA to find but 2-way streatch vinyl is SO much easier to work.  I've used 3M Super 77 and some other contact cements but DAP Weldwood has been my all time favorite for holding for years regardless of weather etc.  

It's starting to come together, and that was awesome that you took the tweeter panel to work to sand on during your lunch break - mark of a dedicated basshead right there!

9 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

I think I understand what you mean. Picking up a router and a rabbiting bit will make getting a tuck/seam recess on the back of the boards for the 8s a lot easier.  Also - for the vinyl, it's a PITA to find but 2-way streatch vinyl is SO much easier to work.  I've used 3M Super 77 and some other contact cements but DAP Weldwood has been my all time favorite for holding for years regardless of weather etc.  

It's starting to come together, and that was awesome that you took the tweeter panel to work to sand on during your lunch break - mark of a dedicated basshead right there!

Oh, you best believe I took all the pieces to work lol. I just posted a picture of the tweeters because that's the first one I finished lol. 

I was going to use that weldwood on my enclosure for sure! 

Stopping the vinyl on the backside of the woods is easy, it's ending the vinyl before the part in going to paint is the issue. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Oh, you best believe I took all the pieces to work lol. I just posted a picture of the tweeters because that's the first one I finished lol. 

I was going to use that weldwood on my enclosure for sure! 

Stopping the vinyl on the backside of the woods is easy, it's ending the vinyl before the part in going to paint is the issue. 

Yea, creating a seam for transition from vinyl to paint could be tricky.  For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was the T-Molding that people use on home built arcade cabinets.  Wonder if you could get something like that but much thinner.  You can get the stuff in nearly any color and I would think you could form it pretty easily with a heat gun.  You would still need to figure out how to get the groove for the t-slot to fit into, but it could cover the transition from one material to the other...

I've seen Mark at CAF do a trim piece in a different color vinyl (or I guess there isn't any reason you couldn't do the same color) that covers the transition.  The hard part would be making the trim piece fit the sanded/contoured transition point...

43 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

Yea, creating a seam for transition from vinyl to paint could be tricky.  For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was the T-Molding that people use on home built arcade cabinets.  Wonder if you could get something like that but much thinner.  You can get the stuff in nearly any color and I would think you could form it pretty easily with a heat gun.  You would still need to figure out how to get the groove for the t-slot to fit into, but it could cover the transition from one material to the other...

I've seen Mark at CAF do a trim piece in a different color vinyl (or I guess there isn't any reason you couldn't do the same color) that covers the transition.  The hard part would be making the trim piece fit the sanded/contoured transition point...

Yeah, I'm starting to think I either have to vinyl the whole thing or paint the whole thing. I was thinking of cutting my own channel with a dremel... but I don't know if that would be sufficient. 

9 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think I either have to vinyl the whole thing or paint the whole thing. I was thinking of cutting my own channel with a dremel... but I don't know if that would be sufficient. 

I think you could pull it off with a dremel, but it would be nerve racking for sure.  I am terrible at free-handing with a dremel or just about anything else for that matter 😑

3 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

I think you could pull it off with a dremel, but it would be nerve racking for sure.  I am terrible at free-handing with a dremel or just about anything else for that matter 😑

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm thinking I'm just going to have to paint the whole thing

I'd go with whatever u feel comfortable doing 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

20 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

How's this look for one of the 8" baffles?

20210907_210430.jpg

I think it looks awesome!  I love the basket design of the 8s and how you continued the design language of the speakers into the baffle.  This is going to be epic brother!

Looking good

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400