2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

Set tweeter amp at 3500 hz hp and set set speakers amp at 3500 hz lp. That jl amp seem to not have wide filter capabilities like most good speaker amps. It wouldn’t be good to use in a active amp crossover setup. Unless you actually use an external active crossover setup. Which is what I think you should do. It would be cheaper and better. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 12/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, 1point21gigawatts said:

Set tweeter amp at 3500 hz hp and set set speakers amp at 3500 hz lp. That jl amp seem to not have wide filter capabilities like most good speaker amps. It wouldn’t be good to use in a active amp crossover setup. Unless you actually use an external active crossover setup. Which is what I think you should do. It would be cheaper and better. 

Can't get much cheaper than I've had that JL amp for about 5 years already lol. But yeah, it's a cheapo amp. Yeah, 200 hz max isn't going to work. 

What would you suggest as an external active setup. My deck isn't that in depth I don't think. So what, a DSP? Or something else? 

If I go with a DSP, would I have to get rid of my Three.2? I love that thing! 

Or, what about just getting an amp with a proper crossover? 

https://caraudiobargain.com/crossfire-audio-c5-400-4/

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 12/22/2020 at 10:17 AM, 1point21gigawatts said:

Ok, do thinking about it for these couple of days (literally losing sleep over it) I've come up with this.....

Those B&C drivers powered by a Cresendo C2000.4D ( https://www.down4soundshop.com/crescendo-c2000-4d/ ) with that amp, I can set a bandpass crossover and at 2.55 ohm (before any rise of course) those speakers will get plenty of power. 

Then, sell the JL JX400.4 and run these Dynavox silk dome tweeters ( https://www.parts-express.com/dynavox-td2801xl-1-1-8-silk-dome-tweeter--275-200 ) off the Cresendo S4. (Hoping that's not too much for those tweeters) 

What do you think about that idea and what's your opinion on those tweets bro? 

That amp is good on them speakers. Nice choice. But, you don’t want to run silk tweeters on a bass build with that much sound pressure from bass and loudness from mids. You mine as well not ever run tweeters then. You want to invest in some b&c horn tweeters, you would have to buy the directivity horns separately. Or you can invest in some super tweeters. Either tweeter would have good sound quality and not be harsh if you select the correct ones and tune correctly. But silk dome tweeters aren’t enough compensation on a crazy spl build like you are doing that has super loud mids and even louder bass. Think of it like this, if you go with silk dome tweeters and them tweeters aren’t loud enough or good enough, which they won’t be, then there is no way to make them silk dome tweeters louder or better. But if you go with another type of tweeter then it would definitely be loud enough and you could tweak the tuning to make the tweeters quieter and smoother if needed. Once you step up to an spl build like you are building, then silk dome tweeters are out of the question. You can sound smooth without silk dome tweeters. Merry Christmas!

You would have to do a bunch of silk dome tweeters to compensate if you are set on silk dome tweeters. List your speaker and tweeter layout plan so I can better understand and we can go from there. But if you did the b&c tweeters then you would only have to do 2 tweeters on the setup. You might have to do about 8 silk dome tweeters on that setup. Let me know your speaker layout and I’d be able to better assess.

4 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That amp is good on them speakers. Nice choice. But, you don’t want to run silk tweeters on a bass build with that much sound pressure from bass and loudness from mids. You mine as well not ever run tweeters then. You want to invest in some b&c horn tweeters, you would have to buy the directivity horns separately. Or you can invest in some super tweeters. Either tweeter would have good sound quality and not be harsh if you select the correct ones and tune correctly. But silk dome tweeters aren’t enough compensation on a crazy spl build like you are doing that has super loud mids and even louder bass. Think of it like this, if you go with silk dome tweeters and them tweeters aren’t loud enough or good enough, which they won’t be, then there is no way to make them silk dome tweeters louder or better. But if you go with another type of tweeter then it would definitely be loud enough and you could tweak the tuning to make the tweeters quieter and smoother if needed. Once you step up to an spl build like you are building, then silk dome tweeters are out of the question. You can sound smooth without silk dome tweeters. Merry Christmas!

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You would have to do a bunch of silk dome tweeters to compensate if you are set on silk dome tweeters. List your speaker and tweeter layout plan so I can better understand and we can go from there. But if you did the b&c tweeters then you would only have to do 2 tweeters on the setup. You might have to do about 8 silk dome tweeters on that setup. Let me know your speaker layout and I’d be able to better assess.

Merry Christmas to you bro! 

Well, I was planning on doing 4 8's and 4 tweets per front door. 

They don't have to be silk. I just know the tweeters from my VIV's are silk, and I love how they sound. That's the only reason I went with silk. 

I looked at those B&C tweets. 1- parts Express don't have any, I can't find where to buy them. Also, where would i get the horn for them? 

Also, if I only went with 2 per door, even at "8 ohm" ish... they would see almost 200 watts each. Morell makes some tweeters that can handle 200 watts. 

That's why i asked your opinion, you know way more about this stuff than i do

I was thinking of moving the VIV components into the rear doors (2 6.5's and 2 1" tweeters per door, passive crossover) off another JX400.4 I've got. It's not going to be super loud. Basically they're there for when I turn my bass and my front doors down and my daughter's are in the backseat. My 4 year old loves music, so I just wanted to make sure she had something back there so she could hear it.

I was also thinking of getting 3 flush mount "bass knobs", but using them for the highs amps (unless I'm completely wrong and that's not going to work). I want to go nuts, or no ones in the backseat, turn down the rear amp. It's an underground hip-hop song that's mixed really soft, give the fronts full power. Slayer comes on, turn down the fronts so my eardrums don't bleed. My daughter's are in the truck, turn everything down to a moderate level. The Three.2 already has a bass knob controller, so I've already got that covered. 

I have weird ideas, I know. You're probably reading this like "what the hell is he thinking" lol

Screenshot_20201225-215752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Archived