2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

Figured since I'm finally starting to buy the equipment I'm going to use, might as well start a build log for anyone who cares. Hopefully it doesn't take me forever to buy all my equipment. Always, any feedback, opinions, tips and tricks, heckling, and straight up disrespect is always welcomed. 

I'll start with the subs. FI Audio was running a pretty good sale on black Friday this year. I had been bouncing back and forth in my head on what subs and brand I wanted to upgrade to. Something in my gut told me these FI subs are it. Never owned FI or known anyone whose ran them in their ride, but I never hear anyone say anything negative about them online. So I but the bullet and cashed out a little over $1,700 for 4 12" FI Audio Q series neo subs. Rated 1750 watts a piece. I was going to do 2 subs with the green logo, and 2 subs with the yellow logo (because I'm a huge Oakland A's fan) but then it dawned on me..... it's going in a blow through box in the bed of my truck. No one's ever going to see them.... so I just kept the green logos. Looking back now, I should have went 15"s, but no going back now

20200119_111851.jpg

20200119_111840.jpg

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of right now, I've also bought 100' of SHCA 4 gauge ofc. It was on clarence at a pretty decent discount. I'm going to use that to feed the 3 mids and highs amps, and as the speaker wire to my subs. The amps I'm currently looking into getting to push the subs excepts 4 gauge for the speakers. The push terminals on the subs I don't think will except 4 gauge (hindsight being 20/20, I should have gotten the upgraded terminals on the subs instead of the stock push terminals) but I'll just have to shave a little of the 4 gauge to make it fit. 

20200525_205046.jpg

38 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Figured since I'm finally starting to buy the equipment I'm going to use, might as well start a build log for anyone who cares. Hopefully it doesn't take me forever to buy all my equipment. Always, any feedback, opinions, tips and tricks, heckling, and straight up disrespect is always welcomed. 

I'll start with the subs. FI Audio was running a pretty good sale on black Friday this year. I had been bouncing back and forth in my head on what subs and brand I wanted to upgrade to. Something in my gut told me these FI subs are it. Never owned FI or known anyone whose ran them in their ride, but I never hear anyone say anything negative about them online. So I but the bullet and cashed out a little over $1,700 for 4 12" FI Audio Q series neo subs. Rated 1750 watts a piece. I was going to do 2 subs with the green logo, and 2 subs with the yellow logo (because I'm a huge Oakland A's fan) but then it dawned on me..... it's going in a blow through box in the bed of my truck. No one's ever going to see them.... so I just kept the green logos. Looking back now, I should have went 15"s, but no going back now

20200119_111851.jpg

20200119_111840.jpg

63C0D9EA-9B5C-4F45-AC79-BE5FCB1BA715.gif.d4cd7c39359495d6e55d847be4b3aa64.gif

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Figured I'd give a little rundown on what's already installed in the truck. Some things will stay, most will go. 370 mechman under the hood (will stay) along with 2 stinger SPP1500DC batteries (I'm pretty sure they're done for). I just dropped the truck off at the shop. They're going to check the batteries to see if they're done, and check for any leeches in the truck. I think there is, but I don't have the time to troubleshoot and fix the problem. Pay someone to do it right

20200526_073632.jpg

I have a pair of Memphis VIV components in each front door. I think they sound great, but eventually I will be upgrading these as well, along with reconfiguring the door again. The stereo shop that installed it didn't take into account that I might want to open my glove box without having to open the passenger door. Also, they're supposed to have screens to protect them but the owner decided it looked better to him without the screens. But that's not what I wanted, how can we fix this? I don't think we'd be able to fix it without rebuilding the door panel. I wouldn't be able to do that work for free. So yeah, done messing with that shop. My friends and I had been dealing with that shop since we started driving in the mid 90's. Never been screwed until this build. 

20200526_073734.jpg

My head unit needs to be upgraded as well, but it still works. It's a pioneer something or other. I bought it back in 2014-2015, something like that. Pretty old

20200526_074159.jpg

Now, as far as the current sub box goes, yes, it's made to look Mike l like my back seat. 4 12" JL Audio W6's firing down underneath in a sealed enclosure (that's a little too small) and you pull down the back and that's my amp rack. 2 JL JX400.4 and 4 JX1000.1's. I'm keeping the 400.4's, but the subs and the sub amps gotta go! Now that I have 2 little girls, it's time to put the backseat back in. Pay no mind to the dog hair. The English Mastiff and the Chihuahua really screwed it up back there over the years

20200526_073825.jpg

20200526_073838.jpg

Just got this little guy. Cresendo Audio S4. $270. It says it does 220 watts per channel. We'll see I guess. Still haven't 100% decided on what speakers I want to run with it though. Slowly but surely picking up everything I need

20200601_163316.jpg

Got my power wire. 300' of Full Tilt Audio 1/0 tinged ofc and a butt load of o- rings and heat shrink. I kind of screwed up on my quest to get the best deal on equipment without cutting too many corners. Full Tilt was having a sale on their wire. So I did the math. Ok,I need 300'.... holy crap! 4 rolls of 50' is $200 cheaper than even using welding wire! I've got to jump on this! Later, while cooking dinner, I realized....4 50'rolls..... damnit! That's only 200'. I had to order 2 more rolls. It ended up being $200 more than even using SHCA wire. Oh well. It's here. And if you believe what you read on social media, apparently someone did a 3rd party conductivity test of a bunch of different 1/0 brands and Full Tilt came in second behind JY wire. Even if it's not true, it'll still work. I'm just excited to be one step closer to getting this system in the truck

20200603_170854.jpg

Archived