2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

On 5/26/2020 at 1:13 PM, Dafaseles said:

Now, as far as the current sub box goes, yes, it's made to look Mike l like my back seat. 4 12" JL Audio W6's firing down underneath in a sealed enclosure (that's a little too small) and you pull down the back and that's my amp rack. 2 JL JX400.4 and 4 JX1000.1's. I'm keeping the 400.4's, but the subs and the sub amps gotta go! Now that I have 2 little girls, it's time to put the backseat back in. Pay no mind to the dog hair. The English Mastiff and the Chihuahua really screwed it up back there over the years

20200526_073825.jpg

20200526_073838.jpg

I really like that idea.  Good job.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, stingray72 said:

I really like that idea.  Good job.

I didn't do that. The shop did that. It was a good idea at the time, living in a shitty neighborhood. Everything was pretty much hidden. Looking through the back window, you wouldn't think anything was in there. 

Let me tell you, it looked good from the outside, but since I've been ripping it out, it's a mess! And all those amplifiers where grounded to my chassis with a single 4 awg cable! Lol

On a side note, I was sound deadening my door yesterday. Problem is, last Monday, I cut my thumb with a box cutter. 6 stitches and a splint. Trying to sound deaden a door without the use of your thumb is very difficult to say the least🤣 but I only get what seems to be moments to work on my truck, so I can't stop taking those couple of hours on the weekend just because it hurts. Gotta keep pushing. I want this damn thing done! 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Wow a single 4 gauge ground you were probably being robbed of so much power.  Sorry to hear you cut yourself heres to a fast healing.  Oh by the way if the guy doing my car is as good as he says im going to have a huge 4th order band pass for a trunk car.  The last say quarter of the car I only measured 31 inches across and he measured 51 inches.  I was at just shy of 8 cubic feet with my measurements.  Hoping for 9.25 cubic feet.

15 minutes ago, stingray72 said:

Wow a single 4 gauge ground you were probably being robbed of so much power.  Sorry to hear you cut yourself heres to a fast healing.  Oh by the way if the guy doing my car is as good as he says im going to have a huge 4th order band pass for a trunk car.  The last say quarter of the car I only measured 31 inches across and he measured 51 inches.  I was at just shy of 8 cubic feet with my measurements.  Hoping for 9.25 cubic feet.

The rear chamber of my 6 th order will be 7.28 net (I don't know what it is gross before sub displacement) and my front chamber will be 16.22 cubic feet net. Rear port tuned to 24.75 hz and the front port tuned to 50.5 hz. This thing is huge! Outside measurements are 60"×50"×20" (give or take), basically the whole bed of my truck. 

Trunk builds are hard! To get a huge box, bandpass or not, is a huge undertaking. But if you can do it, it's worth it. I once saw 2 18's (I think they where DC level 5's) in a civic trunk build. They took everything out and fiberglass the whole bottom of the trunk to utilize every inch. I think they got 20 cubic feet out of that! The subs where at an angle, facing the truck and I think the port was to the side. 

I get my stitches out on the 19 th. So I should be good. It was a stupid mistake lol. Oh well. I just thought it was funny having to apply sound deadener down a thumb lol. 

51 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

The rear chamber of my 6 th order will be 7.28 net (I don't know what it is gross before sub displacement) and my front chamber will be 16.22 cubic feet net. Rear port tuned to 24.75 hz and the front port tuned to 50.5 hz. This thing is huge! Outside measurements are 60"×50"×20" (give or take), basically the whole bed of my truck. 

Trunk builds are hard! To get a huge box, bandpass or not, is a huge undertaking. But if you can do it, it's worth it. I once saw 2 18's (I think they where DC level 5's) in a civic trunk build. They took everything out and fiberglass the whole bottom of the trunk to utilize every inch. I think they got 20 cubic feet out of that! The subs where at an angle, facing the truck and I think the port was to the side. 

I get my stitches out on the 19 th. So I should be good. It was a stupid mistake lol. Oh well. I just thought it was funny having to apply sound deadener down a thumb lol. 

Holy crap that is so much weight.  I looked it up and a sheet of 4 x 8 .75 mdf is 75 pounds.  Im hoping my car wont sag with my band pass box weight.

31 minutes ago, stingray72 said:

Holy crap that is so much weight.  I looked it up and a sheet of 4 x 8 .75 mdf is 75 pounds.  Im hoping my car wont sag with my band pass box weight.

You could always use Baltic birch. It's lighter than MDF. A lot of people use that in their builds. 

Yeah dude, the cut sheet I have calls for 8 sheets! 😳

34 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

You could always use Baltic birch. It's lighter than MDF. A lot of people use that in their builds. 

Wow  thats 600 pounds of wood.  Baltic birch would only save about 14 pounds per sheet on average according to google.  But thanks for the suggestion.  Thinking about it now ill just leave my estimation for my ported side at 6.00 cubic feet and use polyfill in sheet form to get to a 40 hz tune.  Im not going to have much wood on the front of the 4th order using two 8 inch aero ports.  (which will be external)

On 12/14/2020 at 7:34 AM, Dafaseles said:

Finally started pulling the old system out. Didn't get much done because of the rain, but I got the amps out. 

I didn't install this system, I had it done at a local shop. First off, I pulled the amp rack off the back of the cab with minimal effort. I wiggled it and I heard what sounded like velcro. I thought to myself there's no damn way they just used velcro to mount this amp rack. So, you know how hard you pull to get something un velcroed that's actually pretty secure? Not too hard, but a little harder than just regular velcro? That's how much effort it took to pull this amp rack off its mounts, through the wood. No velcro. Cheap ass wood. I'm surprised it didn't fall off just driving around. I'm glad I never let my daughters ride back there on the fake seat. 

Also, on one of the 1000.1's, only the one amp, on the power input and the ground input, there where smaller gauge wires. I could see what gauge, but the same size as the remote wires. I'm not an expert, but I have no idea what they might be for. I guess we'll find out as I dig deeper into removing this system

20201212_153902.jpg

20201212_155636.jpg

probably for a volt meter ..

11 minutes ago, 02Blazer said:

probably for a volt meter ..

There wasn't a volt meter in the build. Though I did find out what it went to. It went to the relay. I don't know if that's the correct way to do it, but that's how they did it

On 7/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, Dafaseles said:

Glad to hear that you are knocking out a few hours here and there on the build!  Totally sucks about your thumb, sounds like you damn near cut it off!

Baltic Birch is obscenely high here, the last time I checked prices it was over $146/sheet (4x8 18mm) from the supplier I've been using for a while.  The same supplier has a "light weight" MDF I was thinking about checking out.  Not sure how much lighter it is (they don't have a lot of details like sheet weight) but it peaked my interest.

Can't wait to see pics as you work through the build!

Archived