2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

5 minutes ago, Arthur79 said:

I think it looks awesome!  I love the basket design of the 8s and how you continued the design language of the speakers into the baffle.  This is going to be epic brother!

Thanks. Yeah, the octagon shape actually made it a lot easier to deal with in the baffles. I can't cut a circle lol. But I can cut straight lines lol. It cuts down on a lot of material as well. Hopefully making it lighter for my door hinges. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

It's hard to see with them laying flat like this, but these will be staggered around my door handle

20210908_195408.jpg

Looking good!  I can't wait until you get to the mockup stage!

Next I need a router. I've got the speaker grill material on its way along with the magnets. Get that done, then paint. Then I can start mock-up. I really want to jump ahead of myself and start cutting shit up and mounted, but I have to keep telling myself to keep taking it slow. It'll be worth it. 

Patience is a virtue 

06 Charger

Pioneer double din

Pioneer 6.5 and 6×9's

Knukoncept Krystal kable rca's

0 ga knukoncept kolossus wire 

Big 3 same wire ^ 1 run 

8g karma ss speaker wire

Sundown sia 3500d at 1ohm

2 Sundown U series 12's

Duralast platinum agm H7 (Main)

Xs power d3400

Trying to find a ho alt

I have an ancient (like at least 15 years old) Ryobi benchtop router table with the router.  Ryobi catches a lot of flak but that tool has done more and lasted longer than any other tool I've used over the years.  I looked to see if they still make/sell it and of course they don't.

That said, it looks like you could get the Kobalt version here:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Fixed-Corded-Router-with-Table-Included/1000318615

Having the table is a game changer for doing chamfers and round overs on stuff like your baffles and you can pull the fixed base router out for bigger stuff.

I actually drilled holes in the top of my Ryobi table that I could use to pin a piece to in order to cut out circles before eventually getting a circle jig.

It's a super handy tool to have!

• 2 weeks later...

20210919_144908.thumb.jpg.5420f96767880b96619697afaa5e4e0f.jpgNo turning back now! 

My cousin came over and we jacked up some stuff. Came up with a few doesn't ideas.... and that's exactly why I asked him to help! Instead of using magnets to mount the speaker grills, we're actually going to use plastic grommets and posts, like home speakers. I liked that idea a lot more. I have to order them though. We kind of fitted the baffles in the door with the cut door panel, and it should work. I'll keep plugging along

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

20210919_144908.thumb.jpg.5420f96767880b96619697afaa5e4e0f.jpgNo turning back now! 

My cousin came over and we jacked up some stuff. Came up with a few doesn't ideas.... and that's exactly why I asked him to help! Instead of using magnets to mount the speaker grills, we're actually going to use plastic grommets and posts, like home speakers. I liked that idea a lot more. I have to order them though. We kind of fitted the baffles in the door with the cut door panel, and it should work. I'll keep plugging along

Definitely no turning back, but also exciting and cool as hell!  Love the idea of using the grommet mounting for the grills, probably way less chance for the grills to rattle when you've got it turned up.

Can't wait for you to start laying glass!

2 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

Definitely no turning back, but also exciting and cool as hell!  Love the idea of using the grommet mounting for the grills, probably way less chance for the grills to rattle when you've got it turned up.

Can't wait for you to start laying glass!

Yeah, I can't wait either. I'm trying to hustle to get things moving. The paint for the baffles won't be here until the end of the month, and I just ordered the plastic "plugs" I guess you could call them. They won't be here until the beginning of next month. I'm still waiting for the speaker grills. FedEx said it's been delayed. That's all the website says. I hope they didn't lose it. Who knows when that will get here. So I've got some time. 

My cousin also had an idea about mounting the wood to the door frame. We removed/ cut all the plastic clips and plugs off the section of the door that we're going to get rid of. He said liquid nails would adhere them to the wood, and they'd never come off. Worth a try I guess. 

Next time he can come by is the second weekend of next month. He's going to bring the table saw. He thinks it will make mocking up the frame mount for the doors a breeze. I'm not one to argue making anything easier lol. 

Also, I noticed last night while I was working on some stuff, that my original plan of using a half inch piece of MDF cut into a ring with the speaker grill wrapped around it wasn't going to work. I mounted one of the 8's, and looked a little closer, and it wasn't even close to being able to go over the top of the 8. So I had to glue 2 pieces together in order to make it work20210919_201132.thumb.jpg.c22ea8bec7863d9bb336d8f0350247ed.jpgalso, my plan was to only have the rings be a half inch all the way around. The new idea is, since I'm not going to router a channel around it for the ring to sit inside, I'm just going to cut out holes where the speakers will sit, leaving the most amount of wood I can. It shouldn't add a lot of weight to it, but it will make things a lot stronger. 

Archived