2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 system upgrade

8 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Also, I noticed last night while I was working on some stuff, that my original plan of using a half inch piece of MDF cut into a ring with the speaker grill wrapped around it wasn't going to work. I mounted one of the 8's, and looked a little closer, and it wasn't even close to being able to go over the top of the 8. So I had to glue 2 pieces together in order to make it work20210919_201132.thumb.jpg.c22ea8bec7863d9bb336d8f0350247ed.jpgalso, my plan was to only have the rings be a half inch all the way around. The new idea is, since I'm not going to router a channel around it for the ring to sit inside, I'm just going to cut out holes where the speakers will sit, leaving the most amount of wood I can. It shouldn't add a lot of weight to it, but it will make things a lot stronger. 

That's looking good.  If you are worried about weight, have you considered birch plywood?  Not sure why I didn't think about that/mention it earlier in the thread, but it's quite a bit lighter and has similar acoustic properties to MDF.  Not sure if you will need to reduce the weight in the doors but if you did need to that might be an option to consider.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Arthur79 said:

That's looking good.  If you are worried about weight, have you considered birch plywood?  Not sure why I didn't think about that/mention it earlier in the thread, but it's quite a bit lighter and has similar acoustic properties to MDF.  Not sure if you will need to reduce the weight in the doors but if you did need to that might be an option to consider.

Shit, yeah, wish you would have said something earlier lol. Oh well. The MDF should be fine with weight. I can hang off my doors and nothing happen, I should be able to put some speakers on it..... right? Lol. We will all see I suppose

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

1 minute ago, Dafaseles said:

Shit, yeah, wish you would have said something earlier lol. Oh well. The MDF should be fine with weight. I can hang off my doors and nothing happen, I should be able to put some speakers on it..... right? Lol. We will all see I suppose

Right on!  Sounds like you should be good to go then!

Got my 2 sheets of steel speaker grill in. I don't think 2 sheets is going to be enough though unfortunately. We'll see. If I have to order another one, I will. 

Hopefully my plan to shape them works. I don't have any type of press or anything. I'm going to do it Neanderthal style with brute force and a hammer. 20210923_135648.thumb.jpg.47bdbe38c5837a5132c3a19df75d53ce.jpg20210923_135724.thumb.jpg.c0b11a134bcaac13dabe3acef05662a0.jpg

Once the paint gets here, I'm going to paint them black. I could have gone down to the local box store and gotten all the paint I needed, but ordering off Amazon, I....1- don't have to leave the house. 2- don't have to deal with a ton of people. 3- I get 5% back using my Amazon card. & 4- every purchase I make from Amazon, they send 3% of my purchase to Meals on Wheels. So I can wait a little while for the paint. 

Now, as I'm laying out what I'm going to cut, 2 mistakes in going to have to live with. 1- in going to need another sheet. No big deal. Just ordered another. 2- knowing now that I'm not going to go with magnets to keep them in place, I should have gotten aluminum instead of steel. It's pretty heavy stuff. 

Oh well, like I said, 2 things I'm going to have to deal with. I can't fix those 2 mistakes unfortunately

When in doubt, beat the shit out of it lol. 

There's still some corners I need to clean up with a grinder. I can't get to them with the jigsaw. But I just stood on the templates and beat the shit out of it with a hammer and a 2×4. Slowly moving it from flat on top of the template, around the bevel, until it was straight down. 20210923_171655.thumb.jpg.5b3b7ccd064c49dccb71ec82d4960355.jpgso, after I do this with all the pieces (that's going to suck!), I'll start cutting out the rings. Then paint the baffles, rings and grills, then wrap the whole grill around the rings

Here are the little plug grommets (or whatever you want to call them) that I'm going to use to hold my speaker grill20210924_174559.thumb.jpg.5a6ca15748eedcfc8e9a04071fd6ca92.jpg20210924_180435.thumb.jpg.21cc5a1981d16601f9b4a998c708fb8a.jpgthey slide in together quite nicely. A little on the small side though, so I think I'll end up using more than I previously planned on. No big deal. Should work pretty well

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Here are the little plug grommets (or whatever you want to call them) that I'm going to use to hold my speaker grill20210924_174559.thumb.jpg.5a6ca15748eedcfc8e9a04071fd6ca92.jpg20210924_180435.thumb.jpg.21cc5a1981d16601f9b4a998c708fb8a.jpgthey slide in together quite nicely. A little on the small side though, so I think I'll end up using more than I previously planned on. No big deal. Should work pretty well

That looks perfect!  Do the female ends get glued into the receiving panel or is there a mechanical fastener (or both)?

On 9/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Dafaseles said:

There's still some corners I need to clean up with a grinder. I can't get to them with the jigsaw. But I just stood on the templates and beat the shit out of it with a hammer and a 2×4. Slowly moving it from flat on top of the template, around the bevel, until it was straight down. 20210923_171655.thumb.jpg.5b3b7ccd064c49dccb71ec82d4960355.jpgso, after I do this with all the pieces (that's going to suck!), I'll start cutting out the rings. Then paint the baffles, rings and grills, then wrap the whole grill around the rings

Man, no idea how I missed this update, that's looking good brother!  I don't remember if you mentioned - what color are you going to paint them?  

On 9/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Dafaseles said:

A thought on forming them (or rather a youtube link) that may or may not be worth considering:

He's using a press, but he mentions using your car to press form the mesh as well.  Might be worth thinking about.

Archived