Sonic Electronix

Hello i have a DDX10 in about a 1.9 box with a 4 inch pvc pipe thats about 9 inches long around 35 hz ish around there. The subwoofer hits good but i've seen peoples youtube videos and look like they hit harder. Is it because the port is so small ? Should i bump it up to a 5 inch or 6 inch to get more air out of it ? The sub pushes a lot of air and I feel like i need a bigger one for more air to come out. I have it hooked on a Taramps HD3k only pushing like 1.2 k watts.

good question, following.

I just ordered a 6" but that was for tuning. i "think" 6 is min really. 8 then 10. i know the math has something to do with woofer size...?

15" Neo Elite

135AH Lithium Bank

Taramps Bass30k

320a Brand X Purple Metallic Ho Alt

125+ Ft of oversized 1/0

ATnqTu2.jpg ZpNzSWw.jpgZlH1dRI.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

You have to figure out the port area the subwoofer(s) call for and match that with the aero ports. To find the port area of an aero port you figure radius squared multiplied by pi. So a 6” aero has a diameter of 6” and a radius is half the diameter so you square that. So that is 3 squared which is 3 times 3 which is 9. Then you multiply 9 by 3.14 which is 28.26. So the port area of a 6” aero port is 28.26 square inches. @MichiganBumps that isn’t enough port are for that 15” neo elite. You want to go with an 8” aero port.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

On 5/27/2020 at 12:25 AM, Angel Galvan said:

Hello i have a DDX10 in about a 1.9 box with a 4 inch pvc pipe thats about 9 inches long around 35 hz ish around there. The subwoofer hits good but i've seen peoples youtube videos and look like they hit harder. Is it because the port is so small ? Should i bump it up to a 5 inch or 6 inch to get more air out of it ? The sub pushes a lot of air and I feel like i need a bigger one for more air to come out. I have it hooked on a Taramps HD3k only pushing like 1.2 k watts.

That 4” aero port isn’t enough port area for that subwoofer. You want to go with a 6” aero port. 

Turn the amp gain all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way up. Play a sonic electronics 40 hz test tone off YouTube and then turn the gain up until you see the indicator do off and once you see that, back off until it goes off, no clipping now, and then go back a little more so the signal weakens, thus less rms. Done and done. Watch this video and see if you can understand it. If not, just go back on the gain a little extra once you find the no clipping spot so less clean rms is going to the subwoofer. 

Just want to make sure you keep reading this. 

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That 4” aero port isn’t enough port area for that subwoofer. You want to go with a 6” aero port. 

Thanks man you've been so much help !!! I want to tune it to 35hz, but now how do you determine the length of the tube ? So if i get the 6 inch pvc pipe how long would it have to be if my box is around 1.9 1.8 cubes.

2 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Turn the amp gain all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way up. Play a sonic electronics 40 hz test tone off YouTube and then turn the gain up until you see the indicator do off and once you see that, back off until it goes off, no clipping now, and then go back a little more so the signal weakens, thus less rms. Done and done. Watch this video and see if you can understand it. If not, just go back on the gain a little extra once you find the no clipping spot so less clean rms is going to the subwoofer. 

Just want to make sure you keep reading this. 

Thanks ! I will do this tommorow when I have the chance!!

Just now, Angel Galvan said:

Thanks man you've been so much help !!! I want to tune it to 35hz, but now how do you determine the length of the tube ? So if i get the 6 inch pvc pipe how long would it have to be if my box is around 1.9 1.8 cubes.

This is a calculator for flared aero ports (flared are the best). 
http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html

There is a calculator for regular aero ports called round port length calculator on this link. 
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

3 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

This is a calculator for flared aero ports (flared are the best). 
http://www.psp-inc.com/tools2.html

There is a calculator for regular aero ports called round port length calculator on this link. 
https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Dang so I would need it to be 30 inches !??! I dont think my box is that long for it to fit.

Archived