Sundown Audio

Alpine MRV-1507 what to do with it?

slybu

so i have my old alpine mrv-1507 amp which i purchased in 2002, used for about 3 years then went with a re audio 35.1d amp which has a much smaller footprint and class D efficiency.

iv always said that when i get another car id make use of the alpine amp but when i did get the car i used a smaller amp that fit under the front passenger seat. the alpine amps physical size restricts me from using it these days since i like to keep boot space for shopping and pushchair etc.

the amp has been in storage for many years all boxed up. now iv seen amps like the sundown audio sam-500d which are tiny and wonder what use does an old amp like this alpine have?

if i was to sell it how much would i be looking at?

20180709_142014.thumb.jpg.c22a142ff8c85103a0055475f7619e98.jpg

20180709_142414.thumb.jpg.96ffed6277499bfb01da00ca67555b35.jpg

from a sound basis does the alpine have any area of advantage over a modern class d amp that is physically smaller? all i can think of is the alpine is not limited to just sub bass since it is full range. cant think of anything else.

• 2 months later...

Imhe, those are really nice sounding amps when used as full range, i wouldn't be so quick to compare it to class D as the power supply does not dictate the final results.

For example, the RF prime R2 400/4 sounds WAY cleaner than an RF prime R400/4, both are class D.

That alpine is basically 600w rms,  or 150 x 2 @ 4ohm, would be nice to drive a small sub or a front stage, if you got the room.

On 8/7/2020 at 1:16 AM, slowfkncar said:

That alpine is basically 600w rms,  or 150 x 2 @ 4ohm, would be nice to drive a small sub or a front stage, if you got the room.

somehow it almost got to 900w rms on the amp dyno here: 

does the amp have to lie flat on the floor or can it be set upright? or would that cause heat issues'?

3 hours ago, slybu said:

somehow it almost got to 900w rms on the amp dyno here: 

does the amp have to lie flat on the floor or can it be set upright? or would that cause heat issues'?

If i remember correctly those are factory rated at 12.7v & its efficiency was good during its time.

I've never had or seen a fully functional amp overheat on its side but I've had a few old ppi's & kickers overheat while mounted upside down.

I just watched the video above, it boggles my mind how the 80a fuse didn't let go, that amp did 1200w but needed 2500w (175a) to do it.

900w @ 14.4v - 4 ohm bridged/0.3THD

&

600w @ 12.0v - 4 ohm bridged/0.3THD

Archived