Second Skin Audio

Multiple kerfs inside an enclosure adds weight and dead space...

DiBo

One of my buddies makes these incredible looking enclosures with fiv, six, seven kerfs inside. He swears they get louder and it's for acoustics. So I'm going to build a regular enclosure with a single 45 in the port no kerf. I'll let you guys know how bad I kick his ass on the meter. 

I think kerfs look better than 45s by far but who knows what performance gain you achieve with them 

Kerfs are just better for velocity. Like moving air quicker without port noise. But if you make a regular port right then it can produce the same numbers safely without port noise. When you’re at shows and comps you don’t see many big number guys using kerfs. To me, kerfs are pointless. They do look cool though. Do a 45 in the corner your slot port is at (and make sure the distance between that 45 and the corner of the port wall is the same distance as the width of the port). Or if your slot port is in the center or it’s an aero port(s) then 45s are pointless and only help with bracing.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

I use 45s in the port and elsewhere where I feel it might be needed to hit my target volume without some crazy 1/16"-1/4" overall dimension. I like 1/2" increments when cutting large panels if possible.

As a plus it does add bracing and I feel adds a nice finish... it IS a custom design after all... 🙅‍♀️

27 minutes ago, audiofanaticz said:

Even 45s in the box can hurt performance. #justsaying

I always thought that was weird but air is a fickle beast

Archived