Quick question, I’m about to get a taramps md12000.1. I already have dual runs of 1/0 gauge. I’m deleting my front battery and gonna run 80ah of LTOs in the rear, my alternator is 390 amps, since that amp will pull more than 700 amps that 2 1/0 supports I’m gonna run 4 1/0 runs instead, but since my alternator is only 390 amps, would I keep the dual runs from the alternator to the LTO bank because the alternator isn’t feeding more than 700 amps that’s supported by the 2 1/0s and just do 4 1/0 runs from the LTO bank to the amp because the amp is pulling more than 700 amps? So 2 runs from the alternator to battery bank is sufficient, then 4 runs from the battery bank to the amp? I don’t understand why I would need more than 2 runs from the alternator when the alternator can only feed a max of 390 amps when it comes to current and charging purposes. Am I right?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

7 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Quick question, I’m about to get a taramps md12000.1. I already have dual runs of 1/0 gauge. I’m deleting my front battery and gonna run 80ah of LTOs in the rear, my alternator is 390 amps, since that amp will pull more than 700 amps that 2 1/0 supports I’m gonna run 4 1/0 runs instead, but since my alternator is only 390 amps, would I keep the dual runs from the alternator to the LTO bank because the alternator isn’t feeding more than 700 amps that’s supported by the 2 1/0s and just do 4 1/0 runs from the LTO bank to the amp because the amp is pulling more than 700 amps? So 2 runs from the alternator to battery bank is sufficient, then 4 runs from the battery bank to the amp? I don’t understand why I would need more than 2 runs from the alternator when the alternator can only feed a max of 390 amps when it comes to current and charging purposes. Am I right?

If you don't have a battery up front and everything is ran by the rear bank then that shouldn't be an issue since the amp will only draw current from the rear battery bank since that is all that exists. 

14 minutes ago, Bdsankey said:

If you don't have a battery up front and everything is ran by the rear bank then that shouldn't be an issue since the amp will only draw current from the rear battery bank since that is all that exists. 

The alternator is where the amp draws current from and the battery bank is there as a reserve. 

30 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The alternator is where the amp draws current from and the battery bank is there as a reserve. 

Correct. The alternator can only support its max output, anything more than that and it'll suck from the battery bank's reserve capacity. The alternator is used to charge the battery bank regardless of situation as that is where the amp(s) are going to be physically connected. So, IMO, 2x 1/0 OFC runs from the alt to the battery bank should be more than sufficient for the current your alternator is capable of discharging.

12 minutes ago, Bdsankey said:

Correct. The alternator can only support its max output, anything more than that and it'll suck from the battery bank's reserve capacity. The alternator is used to charge the battery bank regardless of situation as that is where the amp(s) are going to be physically connected. So, IMO, 2x 1/0 OFC runs from the alt to the battery bank should be more than sufficient for the current your alternator is capable of discharging.

That’s what I was thinking too. But I spoke to somebody and he reminded be about more runs, the less the voltage drops. I use to believe that same thing until some douche on caraudio.com that everybody looked up to like he knew a lot or whatever told me that was a myth. I’ve never ran a big amp before so I didn’t know from experience. I can’t believe I believed that dude and didn’t do research behind it. That’s not like me. Then last night after speaking to a knowledgeable dude on here, he proved that the more runs the less voltage drop. They actually have online voltage drop calculators if you google it, that proves it. So I’m just gonna double up on my alternator to battery runs too. 

9 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I’ve decided just to do 4 runs from alternator to battery bank and battery bank to amp, because it will help voltage drop. 

yeah i have 4 runs from Alt back to bank. i get 0 drop. 135ah lithium cmax from Tobbie

15" Neo Elite

135AH Lithium Bank

Taramps Bass30k

320a Brand X Purple Metallic Ho Alt

125+ Ft of oversized 1/0

ATnqTu2.jpg ZpNzSWw.jpgZlH1dRI.jpg 

This was the same question I asked my buddy at Brand X when I was going to switch to lithium.

the only purpose of your front cables to the rear are to support the amperage alternator could put out two runs are more than enough for 390 amps.

now coming off that lithium Bank you're going to want as many runs as you can do to support the current that you think it's going to pull

And I see what you're saying about voltage drop voltage drop only occurs when an overcurrent situation happens and the wires going from the front to the rear will not let that situation happen each one not run is good for 350 amps plus @ 20 feet.

Archived