DD-1 + for Ram truck

I am considering buying the DD-1+ to help tune my 2015 Ram 3500.  It has the Alpine stock system that I used the PAC Ampro to integrate my system into.  My question is, does the DD-1+ work with the stock head unit? Can you explain how I would do that using the DD-1+?

Right now I have RF T600-4 running 2 sets of Focal components and RF T500 running one JL Audio 12W6.   I am in the process of upgrading to 2 12W6's and swapping out the T500 for a JL Audio slash 1200/1 and I will also be adding a TwK-88.  I will probably upgrade the T600-4 as well while I'm at it.  

Also, I noticed that the PAC Ampro has a TOSlink port.  Can I use this for my JL Audio Twk-88 to get the best signal?

Thanks for you help

53 minutes ago, AaronT said:

You hook the dd1 to the amp. Gain down. Then turn volume on head unit till distOrion is detected, number below that is clean.

Thanks for the reply.  So your instructions are for the amp, correct?  Don't you need to find the distortion limit of the head unit before you set the amps?  Since my head unit is stock, I was just trying to figure how to do that.

You are setting the deck step one plug dd-1 into amp with the amp gains all the way down you turn head unit up till distorted then back down till one knotch which should be undistorted step 2 you go to your amp and turn the gains up till distortion then back down just a touch till I distorted 

You should find your distortion level of your deck but you do it through the amplifier.

the reason why you can plug the deck directly into the dd1 is if you aren't using an amplified system and you want to find your clean volume on it

but the correct way to do it with amplifiers is to see what that signal looks like coming out of the amplifier, and to accomplish that you hook the dd1 to the amplifier, turn your gain all the way down, then you crank your volume up until you see distortion.

Then back off volume one notch down, then set gains.

I recommend a 7.5-10db overlap

14 hours ago, AaronT said:

You should find your distortion level of your deck but you do it through the amplifier.

the reason why you can plug the deck directly into the dd1 is if you aren't using an amplified system and you want to find your clean volume on it

but the correct way to do it with amplifiers is to see what that signal looks like coming out of the amplifier, and to accomplish that you hook the dd1 to the amplifier, turn your gain all the way down, then you crank your volume up until you see distortion.

Then back off volume one notch down, then set gains.

I recommend a 7.5-10db overlap

thanks for explaining that in more detail.  I did go ahead and purchase the DD-1+ and look forward to tuning my system the right way.

I have one last question on this.  Since I am still using the stock head unit and I had to use the PAC Ampro to integrate, is there anything I need to do to the ampro before I begin setting gains?  Or can I leave it as it is set right now already in my truck?

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, ninjajack said:

I have one last question on this.  Since I am still using the stock head unit and I had to use the PAC Ampro to integrate, is there anything I need to do to the ampro before I begin setting gains?  Or can I leave it as it is set right now already in my truck?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, once you find clean volume on head unit, with that volume set your pac to 5 volts.