Sonic Electronix

I'm having the opposite problem with fans, than I had with ultra capacitors....

Which is to say, I have about 2 million choices !

Just curious which ones some of you have used ?

I'm looking for;

Cheap (under $30)

Quiet

Dependable

I've seen a ton of those little, usually white, inline blowers used in car audio, but they all look so similar, I'm not sure which brand many people use ???

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those white inline blowers are marine fans and are loud af.  i've seen guys (myself included) use computer case fans since they're 12v.   

how hot are your amps getting?  where do you have them mounted?  is there any airflow there already?  if they arent getting any airflow due to where theyre mounted, look into modifying the panels around them to help introduce both an  inlet and outlet for air, then you could situate some pc fans at either end in a push pull config to handle it for you.

25 minutes ago, bmwking said:

those white inline blowers are marine fans and are loud af.  i've seen guys (myself included) use computer case fans since they're 12v.   

how hot are your amps getting?  where do you have them mounted?  is there any airflow there already?  if they arent getting any airflow due to where theyre mounted, look into modifying the panels around them to help introduce both an  inlet and outlet for air, then you could situate some pc fans at either end in a push pull config to handle it for you.

Yea, that's what my research taught me too. I probably will go with a PC case fan. Cheaper, quieter. Now I'm just trying to figure how to control the speed, since most are 4 pin, and the speed is usually controlled by a PC. If I have an acrylic shroud over the two amps (easy to do) then I want the fan to be on any time the stereo is on. But I want it to be adjustable speed, so I can crank it to full, when I'm really beating on the system, or turn it to minimum (for quietness) when I'm being easy on it, or when it's cold.

20 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Unless you’re running an amp hard at like a half ohm to make it hot then you don’t need (a) fan(s). 

Well, how about running it hard (not quite to clipping though) for a couple hours straight, on a 100+ degree Sacramento Summer day ? 

Because that's what made it shut off for the first time the day before yesterday....And that led to another PITA in which my brand new deck got all confused with an "amp error" message.... Had to take it back to the shop... And got that all straight, but I don't want to do all that again. 

My amps are on the back wall of my truck, and I had the AC cranked, but I think it's a little stagnant back there.

15 minutes ago, fishchris1 said:

Yea, that's what my research taught me too. I probably will go with a PC case fan. Cheaper, quieter. Now I'm just trying to figure how to control the speed, since most are 4 pin, and the speed is usually controlled by a PC. If I have an acrylic shroud over the two amps (easy to do) then I want the fan to be on any time the stereo is on. But I want it to be adjustable speed, so I can crank it to full, when I'm really beating on the system, or turn it to minimum (for quietness) when I'm being easy on it, or when it's cold.

look into the SMD TM-1!  https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-fahrenheit-temperature-meter-w-programable-fan-output-smd-tm1f.html

gonna be the best plug n play solution for you, plus it'll tell you exactly how hot they're getting.

(not a paid actor)

also, look for "case fans" on amazon and you can get a nice multi-pack for pretty cheap.  you could even do some with fancy remote controlled RGB lights built in, if you're into that sort of thing (i am, it's fun)

5 minutes ago, bmwking said:

look into the SMD TM-1!  https://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-fahrenheit-temperature-meter-w-programable-fan-output-smd-tm1f.html

gonna be the best plug n play solution for you, plus it'll tell you exactly how hot they're getting.

(not a paid actor)

also, look for "case fans" on amazon and you can get a nice multi-pack for pretty cheap.  you could even do some with fancy remote controlled RGB lights built in, if you're into that sort of thing (i am, it's fun)

Yea, those are pretty cool. I love all sorts of monitoring equipment like this. 

Granted, I'd still like to add an acrylic shroud and 12 v fan....

2 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Well, how about running it hard (not quite to clipping though) for a couple hours straight, on a 100+ degree Sacramento Summer day ? 

Because that's what made it shut off for the first time the day before yesterday....And that led to another PITA in which my brand new deck got all confused with an "amp error" message.... Had to take it back to the shop... And got that all straight, but I don't want to do all that again. 

My amps are on the back wall of my truck, and I had the AC cranked, but I think it's a little stagnant back there.

Who runs their system hard almost clipping for a couple hours straight in 100+ degree weather? And if I remember right, aren’t you running a chinese built amp? That’s crazy dude. You’re trippin. But to each is own. Get a toggle switch too so you can turn on the fan when the volumes up because when the volumes down you’re not working your amp hard and plus you don’t want to hear that loud ass fan. Case fans are quite but don’t move enough air. That’s why most people use them loud ass inline blowers. I wouldn’t be pushing my system hard as fugh for a couple hours almost clipping in 100+ degree weather. I have sense and plus running chinese amps really hard is a reason too. Another reason amps work harder and get hot is you’re probably not feeding it enough voltage and alternator voltage already decreases when the engine gets hotter. You were clipping probably, you just didn’t notice. Because think about it, you’re working the shit out an amp at almost clipping point for a couple hours, the amp started clipping. Trust me. Then it got hotter, then is clipped some more, then it got hotter, then it clipped some more, then it got hotter, while you thought you were cool and boom, the amp cut off. That’s why you CHILL out when running a system that long in 100+ degree weather. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Several things to tell you about this....

First off, I had my AC cranked, which my 5.4L motor barely feels. Much of that parked in the shade too. So the cab was probably 80 degrees.

Secondly, when I say, right below clipping, I'm talking about "before the very first little blinks of kick drums and such"..... Which I still think is only from fractions of a second voltage dips, and I think that's going to mostly go away when I get my super capicitor bank in the truck soon. I can probably go 3 more clicks on my volume before I start to get any kind of long duration flickering... And I never do that, hot day or not.

Thirdly, in between songs, I was playing with settings and such, trying to learn the new HU. So their were some breaks.

I watch my clip indicator religiously. I have it mounted in front of my face. It was NOT clipping. Period. 

Long story short, I'm not tripping. I probably just didn't word that right 🙂

Also, my amps never dipped (except maybe for those fraction of a second kick drums) 13.8 volts. In fact, with my new alternator it has never dipped below 13.8 no matter how hard I best it. And we know that is good, right ?

Archived