Second Skin Audio

Car problem or subwoofer box?

Hi. I kinda have a problem. These two RF T2 15” hitting bad. Bass is kinda weak...they’re like free air, they only produce vibrations most of the times. For 2k RMS (and they’re damn 15s) I assume these subs can give you that hard hitting bass that you feel in your chest. Something is wrong...the car is a sedan and the trunk is pretty much occupied by the sub. The trunk has a sheet on top (inside the car) that is flexin’ like crazy when bass hits. Can that metal sheet be the culprit? Does the sub need more space to “breath”?

Tried playing with the amp’s gain, HU settings, nothing works best...

I’ll list my gear now: 

Sub: 2x RF T2 15” wired at 2 ohms in a ported box

Amp: Taramps MD3k 2 ohms

HU: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Power: 40Ah Yinlong bank

5140253C-75A9-4741-8606-71D784AD9B2D.jpeg

55 minutes ago, AlexanderLeet said:

Hi. I kinda have a problem. These two RF T2 15” hitting bad. Bass is kinda weak...they’re like free air, they only produce vibrations most of the times. For 2k RMS (and they’re damn 15s) I assume these subs can give you that hard hitting bass that you feel in your chest. Something is wrong...the car is a sedan and the trunk is pretty much occupied by the sub. The trunk has a sheet on top (inside the car) that is flexin’ like crazy when bass hits. Can that metal sheet be the culprit? Does the sub need more space to “breath”?

Tried playing with the amp’s gain, HU settings, nothing works best...

I’ll list my gear now: 

Sub: 2x RF T2 15” wired at 2 ohms in a ported box

Amp: Taramps MD3k 2 ohms

HU: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Power: 40Ah Yinlong bank

5140253C-75A9-4741-8606-71D784AD9B2D.jpeg

I'd check phase 1st

Check the rca signal. The rca cable might be bad. The head units rca output might be bad. The amps rca input might be bad. First switch the rca plug on the head unit to another spot, front or rear. This will diagnose the head unit. If you get the same weak signal from each output then it’s not the head unit. Then try using a different rca cable. This will diagnose the rca cable. Then unplug the subwoofers from the amp and turn on a 40 hz test tone and start turning the amps gain all the way up. If you don’t see that clipping detector go off then that means the amp might be the culprit. If this stuff checks out then that means the subwoofers might be the culprit. Do you have a multimeter to check your subwoofers and other car audio gear with?

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

8 hours ago, AlexanderLeet said:

Is the box too small? Port too small?
Width 38.583 inches
Height 16.378 inches
Depth 24.212 inches
Port lenght 17.165 inches
Port height 14.960 inches
Port width 4.842 inches

AA477D79-ECE2-488E-910F-5CF73A59E8EB.jpeg

The box should'nt be the culprit, it is really close to specifications... 

image.thumb.png.13abcf87a8c10444f5ec988195e4eb9d.png

I rounded some of those decimals you gave to work with .75" thickness and guessed on that little bit of bracing I see. But really it looks ok unless you're trying to play WAY under tuning. Could be signal, settings etc as well. You tried to describe some sort of metal plate thats possibly the culprit... what vehicle exactly is this in?

Another thing could be your Taramps amp hi-pass/low-pass... it does confuse people even tho you seem to have exhausted that setting angle. Does it hit but not go low? what seems to lack? when I said phase pop both subs with a 9v battery to make sure they're moving in phase.... sorry... I HAD to ask.

image.thumb.png.4f4689f88b7ce8ae687a46d49953c80c.png

I'd raise my lp and control it from the hu... and use the ssf at the amp only (hp). 

@1point21gigawatts the clipping detector goes off when I max out the gain.

@shredder2 yeah, it’s a Ford Focus Mk2 sedan 2007, it has a metal sheet inside the trunk (top), I will post a a video on Yt so you can see what I am talking about. About the amp, I have every knobs to the left except the gain...

The bass hits, but it’s really weak, I thought with these subs I can achieve that powerful bass that you feel in your chest...and about phase check, I will check using s 9v battery.

@AaronT what do you mean,? I don’t the electrical is the problem, I run a bank of 40ah Yinlongs.

Check stuff with a dmm to make sure things are functioning properly. Also check the subwoofers impedance load with a dmm to make sure it isn’t high as fuck because they are about to go bye bye. Or maybe when you glued it back together you messed up. Idk. Check functionality with a dmm. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

5 hours ago, AlexanderLeet said:

@1point21gigawatts the clipping detector goes off when I max out the gain.

@shredder2 yeah, it’s a Ford Focus Mk2 sedan 2007, it has a metal sheet inside the trunk (top), I will post a a video on Yt so you can see what I am talking about. About the amp, I have every knobs to the left except the gain...

The bass hits, but it’s really weak, I thought with these subs I can achieve that powerful bass that you feel in your chest...and about phase check, I will check using s 9v battery.

@AaronT what do you mean,? I don’t the electrical is the problem, I run a bank of 40ah Yinlongs.

EVERY knob to the left except gain?... I'd raise your lp to past sub frequencies (remove it basically) and control your LP thru that Hu you got... 👀

The Ssf (Hp) on the amp I'd set to around 20-25hz to protect the subs under tuning... 

All knobs to the left except gain?

Btw... If that was my car I'd spin that box around, reinforce the rear deck (deadener or wood/foam), modify the opening till the subs cleared into the cabin and tie it all together solid while sealing it off. Face em front and trunkwall it... if you got a 80prs and yinlong bank already.... go for it and trunkwall it. It DOES look kinda tight and the rear deck looks bare and flimsy.

Then add power... haha

Archived