Second Skin Audio

Port: How long is too long?

akuma4u

5 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Well then that shows that the formula has flaw then. Because most of the people that look up to you at enclosure building run big systems and want to use your calculator. Can’t you just tweak the formula or the calculator and fix it? Tell me your theory on end correction factors. I want to clear this up because I need to understand how you come up with the numbers you were telling one guy on an old thread I came by the other day. Because the regular way to come up with the end correction is different. I want to know if you have found another variable to add in to calculate the end correction factor. I still don’t doubt you on builds and designs by any means. I’m just bummed about that port area calculator. 

End correction?... your really using terms you don't understand... that's only 1/2 the port width basicsally before you neasure down the center

At the entry to a 3 common wall port internally once again... And that's the flaw?

Learn modeling

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Meh.... modeling lets you determine a ton. Instead of dinging the calc... realize its limitations and either model or find a knowledable designer.

There's a reason I lurk around here... lately a ton of disinformation seems to be normal. I size MY ports properly and have designed a couple... lol

I guess you’re right about realizing the calculators limitations. I just tested it out because I knew about triticum for years and read his posts and gained a respect for him in enclosure designing. But the thing is, I didn’t need his calculator. It was just a trial run to see what it yielded out of curiosity. I don’t have to look to find a knowledgeable designer, unless I’m looking in the mirror. Lol! But yeah, I feel you dude. You are right.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

2 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I guess you’re right about realizing the calculators limitations. I just tested it out because I knew about triticum for years and read his posts and gained a respect for him in enclosure designing. But the thing is, I didn’t need his calculator. It was just a trial run to see what it yielded out of curiosity. I don’t have to look to find a knowledgeable designer, unless I’m looking in the mirror. Lol! But yeah, I feel you dude. You are right.

Yup.. model it up.

The results are worth it.

I model dozens a week... some bang even tho they're lower grade.

And ya... system setup counts. Nobody understands a ssf or types/slopes. 

I'm a noob myself pal...

oLO8fC.jpg

Now sizing that port involved the end user... and his planned "power"... lol... Ds18 all the way!

Designing enclosures can be challenging... Thankfully I'm an "enthusiast"... and don't normally charge.

2 hours ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Thanks for responding to my request.  

If you were going to put 8000 watts into a 4.5 cu ft enclosure, I can certainly understand why my calculator didn't give you very usable numbers.  I never intended it to work under that kind of extremely high power situation.  My experience has been been once you get to around a 1000 watts of power per cubic foot of box volume, it becomes almost impossible to get enough port area keep port compression at a reasonable level.  Your enclosure was WAY past that point.  At those power levels you just have to do the best you can and deal with the consequences.  For this reason I put a big warning message in my calculator if you get over 1000 watts per cube.  Maybe you didn't see it when you were using my calc, but this is what it looks like. 
image.png.a9d2e854974d1b13643cb767d52d6a08.png

But then why when the OP tried to use the port area calculator and it caused him to have a super long port to meet desired frequency and he was calculating with lower rms, 2000 watts. I thought about it and the size of the enclosure could of made it difficult for that calculator to calculate but the size was 1.75 cubic feet, only .25 cubic feet smaller than recommended. Why would the calculator have problems with lower rms calculations? Maybe something needs to be tweaked or maybe the OP messed up on something. Idk. Hopefully the OP comments and posts some specs and screenshots and you can speak on the matter. 

13 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Yup.. model it up.

The results are worth it.

I model dozens a week... some bang even tho they're lower grade.

And ya... system setup counts. Nobody understands a ssf or types/slopes. 

I'm a noob myself pal...

oLO8fC.jpg

Now sizing that port involved the end user... and his planned "power"... lol... Ds18 all the way!

Designing enclosures can be challenging... Thankfully I'm an "enthusiast"... and don't normally charge.

Which program is that? I don’t use them high tech programs. I use a simple sizing program and then run calculations in other areas and then draw it out myself. That means why it takes me a little longer to design an enclosure for somebody. I do it myself instead of trusting a high tech program so I know it’s accurate. Not says programs aren’t accurate. I’m just saying, I trust myself and my math and designing more than a high tech program. I kick it old school lol!

1 minute ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Which program is that?

Lolol... it's a mix of knowledge.. but drawn up in sketchup.

After modeling, roughing in the space in Torres, rechecking dimensions and volumes once drawn up... "end corrected" if neccesary then final volume/tuning is determined in Winisd once everything is factored in. Really?... there's no program for this. This is what a designer does my friend... a specfiic enclosue for a specific application. 

I've done a few, yesterdays.. or this mornings design... it all seems the same to me anymore. Here's one from 6 months ago...

8QRCGl.jpg

I just try to help people... as best I can

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

End correction?... your really using terms you don't understand... that's only 1/2 the port width basicsally before you neasure down the center

At the entry to a 3 common wall port internally once again... And that's the flaw?

Learn modeling

I know that. Half of the port width. I said radius because radius is half the diameter of a circle and didn’t mean to say it like that. It’s 3:30am lol! My brains slippin. But he figures end correction a different way. I was reading where he was helping a guy with end correction and he didn’t use the traditional formula, half the width of the port added to the physical length. Lol you honest are trying my intelligence. I know I’m tired, but damn dude, don’t try me. Especially on some basic shit. I know how model and design enclosures. Any enclosure you can think of. And you’re not understanding that post. I was speaking of his calculator be flawed. Then I wanted him to clear up why he advised somebody to add an end factor of something different than half the width of the port. You might be tired too and your brain might be slipping too or you’re just trying to flex for no reason. I know my shit dude. 

4 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I know that. Half of the port width. I said radius because radius is half the diameter of a circle and didn’t mean to say it like that. It’s 3:30am lol! My brains slippin. But he figures end correction a different way. I was reading where he was helping a guy with end correction and he didn’t use the traditional formula, half the width of the port added to the physical length. Lol you honest are trying my intelligence. I know I’m tired, but damn dude, don’t try me. Especially on some basic shit. 

Basic?... say my name

I'm a noob too 1.21 gigawatts

4 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

Basic?... say my name

I'm a noob too 1.21 gigawatts

I’m not a noob. I’ve been doing this for 17 years. And quit being sarcastic. You aren’t a noob either. You’re being a smart as and acting like a kid. Pump your brakes. 

Archived